Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Any place(speaker store.. or..) for listening speakers around Los Angeles?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-05, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
These days, I'm looking for some entry-level front speakers and I want to listen as many as speakers before decide speaker.

I could find many reviews about many speakers on the internet, but as we all know, I need to listen before I buy one. Actually, I would like to try Mordaunt Short 914 or JBL Northridge E 80 or.. one of PSB entry-level speaker, but I have no idea where I can try those kind of speakers.

Any one who knows good speaker store around Los Angeles where I can try various kind of speakers?

Thanks.
Old 11-14-05, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
http://www.psbspeakers.com/r/usDealerFind.php

http://www.marantz.com/mordauntshort/p_dealers.cfm

http://www.jbl.com/home/where_to_buy...re_to_buy.aspx

did not know your zipcode to actually find a dealer- call around when you get the list to find dealers who have the speakers you want available to hear.
Old 11-14-05, 07:08 PM

When you say "entry level", what is your budget? Are you looking for specific size? (bookshelf vs. floor)

You might be able to get some other good suggestions based on what you're looking for...
Old 11-15-05, 09:33 AM

Hi,
Really thanks for you guys reply, gcribbs, shelland.

Sounds like I have to visit each store one by one, separately, there is no store where I can try and compare these different kind of speakers, in one place. Right, I'm lazy , but to compare sounds, better to listen all speakers in one place, isn't it?

I'm looking for a floor type speaker, and my budget for "entry level" is around $500. So I did web surfing to get information for these kind of speaker and ms914, jbl e80, and psb, I don't remember the exact model, are now candidates.

It would be good if anyone can recommand any other kind of speakers. I prefer kind of high-tone and mid-tone to low-pitched tone, and I'm leaning to ms914 because the reviews are just find. I have not seen any extreamly bad or extreamly good reviews on ms914.

Thanks again,
Old 11-15-05, 08:36 PM

I'd highly recommend Paradigm, but not sure if you can get any of the floor models for that budget. I know you could get Mini-monitors for around $350/pr, but those are bookshelf speakers. For a small speaker, they sound VERY good - I had them, and would highly recommend them. The first time I listened to them, I couldn't believe the sound for a bookshelf speaker. They don't look like much, but hearing is believing.

The Monitor 7 is the fist model in the Monitor line that is floor-standing. It's been a few years since I bought mine, so can't remember pricing - I believe they're in the $650-$700 range. If you aren't opposed to a speaker on a stand, the Mini-monitor, Monitor 3 and Monitor 5 are all options.

The Performance series might have a floor speaker in your price range - I can't say for sure, I never priced them.

Back when I was shopping, I fell in love with Paradigm as soon as I heard them. Make sure you get away from the "box stores" (Best Buy, Circuit City, etc) and get to some stereo stores. There's a stereotype (pardon the pun) that you'll have to spend a lot more at a stereo shop - absolutely not true.

Paradigm's website has a dealer locator.

Last edited by shelland; 11-15-05 at 08:38 PM.
Old 11-16-05, 04:55 PM

Hmm, Paradigm.. I have not heard about it. Anyways, reviews are looks good.
Thanks a lot, Paradigm is one of my candidates now.
Old 11-19-05, 03:22 PM

The level of speakers you are looking for are mostly demo'd in rows and rows of shelves, where a critical audition can not be properly made.

If you are going by the reviews and your prefered brand is available at BB/Magnolia, Tweeter, etc., pick them up there. Then you can try them at home with your gear and material. If you don't like them a return shouldn't be much of a hassle.

If you feel adventurous, call an independent high-end store and see if they have anything in your price range, new or used
Old 11-19-05, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Definitely take a look at Paradigm. I beleive the Phantoms are in your price range, or close to it. Amazing speakers for the money.

This is by no means a JBL or PSB bash, but, for the money, I think that Paradigm beats them both (and pretty much anything else in the price range) hands down. I have a pair of Paradigm Titans (bookshelf speakers ~$225) in my bedroom and a pair of Paradigm Studio 100s (floorstanding, ~$2200) in my living room. Both sound amazing at any price, and unbelievable for the money.