Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Derailed - quick review

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Derailed - quick review

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-05, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Derailed - quick review

(Did a search for a thread on this movie, but didn't find one, please merge if there is one)

Pedestrian and predictable. See it only if you must stare at Clive Owen and/or Jennifer Annison for a couple of hours, but keep those expectations low.

I give it 2 stars, or a grade of C.
Old 11-12-05, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like I'll be waiting for the DVD. Thanks for the info!
Old 11-12-05, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, you're being generous, it's hard enough to give it more than a D-
Old 11-14-05, 12:50 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
c+ for me, was what I expected. Actually I went into it blind, had no idea what it was except who was in it and that it was a thriller.

I pretty much knew where it was going early on.

The biggest plus for me was Vincent Cassel's performance, I really like him..
Old 11-14-05, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking foward to seeing this despite the negative reviews. I really like Clive Owen and Jennifer Aniston.
Old 11-14-05, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by QuikSilver
Looking foward to seeing this despite the negative reviews. I really like Clive Owen and Jennifer Aniston.

So do I, but not enough to plunk down the money to see this in a theater.

I read that the book, while adapted quite faithfully, is a bit better and the dialogue works more effectively in print form. Apparently there's also more detail of Anniston and Owen's characters getting "jiggy" in ways they can't illustrate in the movie.
Old 11-22-05, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I also gave this a C at best. Not enough suspense to make it a real thriller and not the material for an action movie. Very predictable
Old 11-22-05, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
The biggest plus for me was Vincent Cassel's performance, I really like him..
Haven't seen it but I read that he had fun playing the over-the-top vilain. I'll rent it when it comes out on DVD because I want to see a specific scene. When they did the 1st screening for journalists here, I read in a local paper that there's one scene where he's speaking in french to a woman and there are no subs. From his facial expressions/demeanor, it looks like he's just being nice and/or having a normal conversation but apparently he's just ripping the woman to shreds. Apparently, all those in the audience who could understand french burst out laughing while the rest of the people were wondering what the hell was so funny.
Old 03-29-06, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I thought this was a bigger box office success - couldn't find another thread. Anyway - just watched this... thought it was bleh. Mostly stupid. I don't like things where all the characters problems can be solved if they just told one person the truth and the worst that would happen to them would be an argument and some tears... instead they go into this entire downward spiral of hell and bloodshed and whatever else. Stupid lazy writing. Stupid stupid.

Excentris - my girlfriend speaks some french. It was during the scene where he's talking to Clive's daughter under the guise of a co-worker... he says in french something like "my name is jaques and I'm doing something up your dad's ass" and then in english said that he just told her she's like a little stone floating up the river - it's stupid both ways. Had he not spoken his french phrase so well, most of the audience would've caught the word for ass and realized he hadn't said what he translated himself as saying.