Masters of Horror - "Dance of the Dead" - 11/11/05

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-05, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Masters of Horror - "Dance of the Dead" - 11/11/05

"Dance of the Dead" by Tobe Hooper

Spoiler:
Based on his father's celebrated short story, "Dance of the Dead" depicts a post-apocalyptic dystopia wherein re-animated corpses of former friends and enemies dance on stage for the entertainment of the few that survived a nuclear holocaust. Too naïve and wholesome for her own good, Peggy embarks on her first double date with a slick upper-classman. Her nervous fits of laughter quickly turn to panicked screams as she learns the truth of the dangerous world outside her mother's protective cloister, and the sacrifices that were made in order to guarantee her survival. Intelligent, haunting and just as politically relevant as when it was first published, "Dance of the Dead" will be an episode to be remembered.

Since last weeks episode got discussed in the first episode thread, figured I'd make a new one this week. This wasn't really what I'd consider horror, but it was at least pretty original. On it's own, it was a pretty good story, just not what I was expecting from Tobe Hooper's episode. Definitely suffered from being way too slow for the first 50 minutes or so.

And I know you're supposed to suspend disbelief with these things, but the sister just happening to be the dancer... The payoff at the end was good, but definitely not an amazing episode. It was still better than the first episode, and it wasn't a horrible story on it's own. Just a let-down from what I was expecting.

Next week looks like it might be on the right track though. Looks like quite a different take on
Spoiler:
a vampire, or possibly demon, it was hard to tell
that, going on the preview, might be the best one yet. Although that isn't saying a whole lot based on the first three. So far I've definitely getting more "horror" kicks out of Supernatural, which is really pathetic considering it's on the WB and this is on Showtime. So much potential for this series, and so far a let-down.
Old 11-11-05, 10:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What a terrible episode... Was this even horror? And why is Tobe Hooper resorting to Music Video style editing?

Yet, I'm still not giving up on the show. The first two and Argento's Jenifer were pretty good.

At this point I'd rank them as follows...
1. Dreams in the Witch-House
2. Jenifer
3. Incident On and Off a Mountain Road
4. Dance of the Dead
Old 11-12-05, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
^How'd you see Jennifer already?
Edit-Nevermind. Read your past posts on the on-demand blooper.

But yeah, last night's was the worst yet.

Last edited by Mondo Kane; 11-12-05 at 02:33 PM.
Old 11-12-05, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I estimate I'm at least 3% dumber after watching that.

das
Old 11-13-05, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not surprised. I think Tobe Hooper is a terrible film maker.

I like Texas Chainsaw, but I think it was honestly just a fluke that it ended up being good. As for Poltergeist, isn't there a rumor that Spielberg actually filmed a ton of it? I'm gonna believe that rumor. All Tobe's recent horror stuff has been god-awful. Toolbox Murders remake? Man that was bad. I mean really bad, and I love bad horror movies. But not that one. And I also saw one on the Sci-Fi Channel about a killer-croc. Also awful.
Old 11-14-05, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, yeah, I'm dissapointed too. For me, the first episode was the best. That's what I was expecting from these series. The second was OK, but this one, I was checking the clock, just waiting for it to end. But I still believe they can have something here...
Old 11-14-05, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Tobe Hooper is not a filmmaker. Even the two films of his that I like, Texas and Lifeforce (a crapfest but entertaining as hell) were total flukes. And how about Spontaneous Combustion? One of the worst horror films ever.
Old 11-14-05, 08:50 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Showtime didn't even show this at the 11pm slot on Sunday - it was a repeat of Stuart Gordon's film.
Old 11-15-05, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts
Dreams in the Witch-House was incredibly bad -- almost unwatchable. The close-ups of the man-rat were entirely laughable, and the episode as a whole was as scary as a basket full of kittens. What a piece of shit.

The first one was by far the best of the series, imo, followed by Tobe Hooper's episode, with Dreams in the Witch-House in a distant third. Still eagerly waiting for Carpenter's installment.
Old 11-15-05, 09:27 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by lopper

The first one was by far the best of the series, imo, followed by Tobe Hooper's episode, with Dreams in the Witch-House in a distant third. Still eagerly waiting for Carpenter's installment.
I can't wait to see Miike's episode.
Old 11-15-05, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
I can't wait to see Miike's episode.

Ooooooh. I didn't realize he did one. Awesome.
Old 12-02-05, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,079 Likes on 654 Posts
Just watched this one last night. By far it was the worst episode so far. It was nice to see Robert Englund but the story was really weak (anyone read the original story by Matheson?) and the editing gave me a headache.

I agree with others that it appears Tobe just got lucky with the original Chainsaw being so good. Other than Lifeforce, everything I have ever seen by him is crap. And I definitely believe Spielberg directed Poltergeist. It just has his stamp all over it.

Jonathan Tucker really filled out since I had not seen him since 100 Girls. The chick playing Peggy was smoking hot. Hope to see her in a lot of things in the future!

By the way...nice amount of boobies in this one but what's with having the dead chicks wear panties? Not that it needed more nudity but it just seemed silly that they would waste time putting thongs on dead chicks.