Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Strange fingerprints under plastic!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-05, 11:45 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange fingerprints under plastic!

The third disc of my beloved "Ben-Hur" SE set (the disc w/ the silent version) has mysterious fingerprints under the plastic itself, on the inside where I cannot clean them off. It's likely that some careless worker at their pressing plant touched the surface, etc. Has anyone else experienced this? Will this damage my disc? After all, fingerprints are oil...and they're sitting right there inside my disc. Will this erode the data over time?

I e-mailed WB about this, and never heard back. Later, I sent them an e-mail regarding a cracked hub on disc one of my "Terminator 3" DVD (only watched once; the hub is so tight that it cracked the disc just in storage!) and tossed in a follow-up note about the fingerprints thing. Didn't hear anything. I'm sure they get all sorts of nutty e-mails like mine from ultra-anal DVD nerds, so maybe my message just ended up in their trash folder. But this concerns me because the disc in question is part of a SE set, and I'm trying to build up a silent film collection.

Any advice? Should I be concerned about these "inner fingerprints?" Do I look fat in this outfit?
Old 11-11-05, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Believe it or not, I have seen this. I had an embeded fingerprint on one of my season 1 Buffy discs. It was enough to prevent it from playing. Of course that player was on it's last legs anyway. I just took it back, showed them the finger print and left with a new set. But I sure wish I could have kept it. It was very cool.

Anyway, if I were you, I'm simply return it for an unblemished set.
Old 11-11-05, 02:02 PM
Cool New Member

If I had only noticed it sooner...I bought it from Best Buy maybe a day or two after the DVD was released. It's been well over their 30 day return limit.

And WB doesn't want to reply to my e-mails. Crap...
Old 11-11-05, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Contact the FBI and match up the finger print with their data base and go to the guy's house and teach em!
Old 11-11-05, 03:46 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by calhoun07
Contact the FBI and match up the finger print with their data base and go to the guy's house and teach em!

Hey! Who said it was a guy? I'm sure the FBI will keep its investigation open to both sexes...
Old 11-11-05, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by KingSausage
If I had only noticed it sooner...I bought it from Best Buy maybe a day or two after the DVD was released. It's been well over their 30 day return limit.

And WB doesn't want to reply to my e-mails. Crap...
I've never had any problem with BB exchanging a defective DVD/CD for the exact same one (especially if you have the receipt). Explain the situation and see. I've exchanged like this w/o a receipt before (on a defective product).

If all that fails, then wait until after Christmas. Then take it in as a "gift" and tell them you don't have the receipt, but you noticed this fingerprint and then exchange it for a replacement. They'll definitely give no trouble then.
Old 11-11-05, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KingSausage
Hey! Who said it was a guy? I'm sure the FBI will keep its investigation open to both sexes...
Of course, I used the non-gender definition of "guy." Like when you walk in a group of mixed people and go, "Hey, guys!"