Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Alone in the Dark/Uwe Boll

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-05, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just watched Uwe Boll's AitD last night since I picked it up for $1.00. I know, it was a lot but I couldn't find it for $.02 like I did House of the Dead. Yes 2 cents, not a misprint.

Anyway, 3 or 4 times during the movie I was like wait a minute:

* Where are we (the characters)?
* What are the characters doing here?
* Why are the characters here?

Pretty typical for a Uwe Boll movie apparently. The first thing I noticed was a huge opening crawl that seemed to last for at least a full minute! I was thinking right away that something must be wrong if all that information couldn't be written into the movie...

It seemed like the movie was just a thin line between a bunch of action scenes (again, it's a Uwe Boll movie).

Then I watched the first 5 minutes or so of the director's commentary and he commented on the long opening crawl. He said that after test screenings, they found out no one understood the movie so they had to add this opening crawl! Pretty hillarious. Then when the movie actually starts he doesn't even comment on what's going on in the movie-- instead he starts talking about HotD and why he made AitD!! It's almost like he admits that there's really no point in trying to analyze the scene...

I recommend picking up these Uwe Boll movies on the cheap like this for the laughs. The commentary might just be the best part. And he sounds like Ahnold Schwarzenegger to boot.
Old 11-10-05, 02:04 PM

Uwe Boll makes movies the way GOD would make them.
Old 11-10-05, 02:10 PM

His movies are frightning in their scope of incompatance.

I hope no other studio will waste their ignorant money on his laugable attempts at movie making.

Although Lois is naked in HOTD.......that's the only reason to own it though.
Old 11-10-05, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
He was trained to direct movies wrong...as a joke.
Old 11-10-05, 02:16 PM

Uwe Boll movies are like the porta-potties at outdoor concerts. Each one is full of shit.
Old 11-10-05, 02:21 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I found House of the Dead to be laughably bad, but Alone in the Dark was just boringly bad. I made it about 30 minutes through and it was putting me to sleep. At 5 in the afternoon on a Saturday, no less.
Old 11-10-05, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think Uwe Boll is one of the best directors today actually.....a lot better than that Hack Peter Jackson!
Old 11-10-05, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Movie was horrid. I regret paying full-price for it.
Old 11-10-05, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
AithD was so bad, so wretchedly, stinking, putrid bad....poor Christian....
Old 11-11-05, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
That movie cost 20 million to make and it only made 6 million at the box office. Hopefully now uwe won't be able to find work and that would save us from having to put up with his crap.
Old 11-11-05, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is this movie even worth renting for a laugh?
Old 11-11-05, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mr.rs
I hope no other studio will waste their ignorant money on his laugable attempts at movie making.
Originally Posted by big e
That movie cost 20 million to make and it only made 6 million at the box office. Hopefully now uwe won't be able to find work and that would save us from having to put up with his crap.
He gets his financing from Germany...and until a recently passed law goes into effect, production companies in Germany can use cinematic losses as a tax write-off. As such, he'll keep getting financing. It would be stupid to deny him. All of his movies thus far have turned a profit (sure, they may bomb in the US box office, but their worldwide gross and home video sales/rentals more than make up for it). As such, it's a win/win situation for any German production financer. A history of profits, or (until that law goes into effect...which, I think, it might have already) a tax write-off.

Anyway, even with the new law being passed, I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. This guy will always have financing, be it from the US, from Germany, or from independent backers. The best you can do is just not pay him any attention.

-JP
Old 11-11-05, 10:11 PM

Unless of course you want to support all his work because it is so damn entertaining.

Bring on Bloodrayne and Dungion Seige
Old 11-11-05, 10:23 PM

Don't forget Postal, which he recently aquired the rights to.

And I can't wait for Dungeon Siege, an epic so massive in scope that he's releasing it as two separate movies.

I think the saddest aspect of Uwe Boll's films is that I have and will continue to watch everything he makes. They are so hideously awful that they are often more entertaining than most of the garbage that falls out of most of the major studios.
Old 11-11-05, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Heartagram
Unless of course you want to support all his work because it is so damn entertaining.

Bring on Bloodrayne and Dungion Seige
I have to agree. Hollywood churns out a lot of bad movies, but uwe's type of bad film is something to behold.

It's like letting a monkey drive a car...it's going to be messy, but god damn if it's not worth watching.
Old 11-12-05, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm going to have to disagree. I don't even think his movies are bad in a way that it's funny and entertaining (unless you're with a good makeshift MST3k crowd). They're more bad in a painful sort of way. But then, I haven't seen everything he's done. I saw House of the Dead back in the theaters (a friend of mine had played the game and seen the previews, and knew it would be horrid...so I allowed him to drag me and a few buddies out to see it). I only remember bits and pieces. Aside from that, the only Uwe Boll movie I've seen is Bloodrayne. Those two are enough, though. I'll never, ever go out of my way to see one of his films. Like I said, in my opinion, they're not even an entertaining kind of bad.

-JP
Old 11-12-05, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
What's with this guy and making video game movies?
Old 11-13-05, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here is a hilarious article about Uwe Boll and the script for Alone in the Dark. I've posted this before, but for those who haven't seen it, it's good for a few laughs...

http://www.something awful.com/articles.php?a=2649

NOTE: copy and paste and remove the 'space' between the words 'something' and 'awful' (for some reason it won't let me direct link).
Old 11-13-05, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

the mods will delete your link shortly. They don't allow anyone to link to that website for some reason. Yes, i'm serious.