Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Get Rich or Die Tryin' official review thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-05, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see this is getting mostly bad reviews from the critics but i saw it today and here are my thoughts...I really liked this movie for what it was; a semi-autobiographical story about a drug dealer trying to turn his life around and become a rapper. The film is compelling throughout and 50's acting, while far from great, was much better than I expected. Since the film is based on his life, the story is predictable but seeing what happens to his character is fascinating throughout and there is an uplifting message between all of this. Final rating: *** out of ****.

Last edited by hapgilmore; 11-09-05 at 11:23 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-10-05, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Uplifting message? I think what he does is worse than what Nic Cage's character in Lord of War did. Oh vell.
Old 11-10-05, 01:54 AM

I remember when I saw this movie a few years ago...wasn't it called 8 Mile, the first time they released it?
Old 11-10-05, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Silt
I remember when I saw this movie a few years ago...wasn't it called 8 Mile, the first time they released it?
Hey wiseass, why don't you actually see the movie before you comment on it because it is nothing like 8 Mile.
Old 11-10-05, 09:01 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by hapgilmore
Hey wiseass, why don't you actually see the movie before you comment on it because it is nothing like 8 Mile.

I saw it, and it's a rehash of 8 MILE in structure.

Also, 50 Cent can't act, and takes the movie down with him.

And I still can't figure out if the slip-n-slide prision fight was played for laughs or not.
Old 11-10-05, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
I saw Ebert and his buddy gave it 2 thumbs up.
Old 11-10-05, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Silt
And I saw it back when it was called Rocky. Your point?

Hopefully the movie does b.o. reflective of it's quality.
Old 11-10-05, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Fanboy
No, it'll make a lot of money.
Old 11-10-05, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BigDaddy
I saw Ebert and his buddy gave it 2 thumbs up.
They're just about the only ones. The critics are pounding it pretty hard at RT.
Old 11-10-05, 01:59 PM

For some reason, every time I see the theatrical one-sheet for this, I think to myself: Someone please tell Fiddy that men can't breastfeed
Old 11-10-05, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by scott shelton
I saw it, and it's a rehash of 8 MILE in structure.

Also, 50 Cent can't act, and takes the movie down with him.

And I still can't figure out if the slip-n-slide prision fight was played for laughs or not.
The structure is nothing like 8 Mile. 8 Mile never focused on Eminem's childhood and it also had much more of an emphasis on rap music. The films are very different, which you should realize if you actually saw Get Rich...
Old 11-10-05, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, i get my Ebert email and see a thumbs up only to find out the rest of the world thought it sucked.
Old 11-10-05, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by hapgilmore
The structure is nothing like 8 Mile. 8 Mile never focused on Eminem's childhood and it also had much more of an emphasis on rap music. The films are very different, which you should realize if you actually saw Get Rich...
Um, sure...

Burdened and abused youth uses rap music to better their life? Yep, that's nothing like 8 MILE...

Would HUSTLE AND FLOW be a better comparison for you?
Old 11-10-05, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by Fanboy
Originally Posted by scott shelton
No, it'll make a lot of money.
Old 11-10-05, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
WEST HOMESTEAD, Pa. -- Gunfire in the Loews Waterfront movie theater killed a man Wednesday night, West Homestead police said.

The victim, identified as Shelton Flowers, 30, of Wilkinsburg, was hit in the thigh and chest. He died later at UPMC Presbyterian.

Employees at the concession stand reported hearing the shots, police said. Soon after that, Flowers was found near some video game machines.

Two men were seen running out of the main entrance after the shooting, witnesses told police. Another man left through the rear doors.

Police said nobody has come forward to identify a shooter, even though the building was busier than a usual weeknight, with the 50 Cent movie, "Get Rich Or Die Tryin'" debuting on two screens.

Flower's aunt told Channel 4 Action News reporter Marcie Cipriani that her nephew went to the theater to see the 50 Cent movie.

The West Homestead police chief told Channel 4 Action News that the department put an officer on duty at the theater -- which is unusual for a weeknight -- due to the showing of the movie.

The chief said the officer did hear the shots, and right after, the victim crossed the officer's path and collapsed.

Allegheny County homicide detectives are now handling the case. They have not commented yet.

As of Thursday afternoon, the movie is no longer showing at the Waterfront theater.

Refresh this page later for updates from WTAE Channel 4 Action News.
Old 11-10-05, 03:40 PM

"50 Cent and the rest of these 2-bit thugs that had a hard life, so they rap about it and get paid millions - keep them out of the movies."

What about Snoop Dogg? He kicked ass in Training Day in that wheel chair. "Sandman!" And P. Diddy was great in Monster's Ball.

[edit:]

I guess the post I'm referring to got deleted.
Old 11-10-05, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by Johny Boy
"50 Cent and the rest of these 2-bit thugs that had a hard life, so they rap about it and get paid millions - keep them out of the movies."
"Hard life"? Yeah, choosing to be a drug dealer must be pretty hard. Good thing they're rewarded like this.
Old 11-10-05, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by BigDaddy
WEST HOMESTEAD, Pa. -- Gunfire in the Loews Waterfront movie theater killed a man Wednesday night, West Homestead police said.

The victim, identified as Shelton Flowers, 30, of Wilkinsburg, was hit in the thigh and chest. He died later at UPMC Presbyterian.

Employees at the concession stand reported hearing the shots, police said. Soon after that, Flowers was found near some video game machines.

Two men were seen running out of the main entrance after the shooting, witnesses told police. Another man left through the rear doors.

Police said nobody has come forward to identify a shooter, even though the building was busier than a usual weeknight, with the 50 Cent movie, "Get Rich Or Die Tryin'" debuting on two screens.

Flower's aunt told Channel 4 Action News reporter Marcie Cipriani that her nephew went to the theater to see the 50 Cent movie.

The West Homestead police chief told Channel 4 Action News that the department put an officer on duty at the theater -- which is unusual for a weeknight -- due to the showing of the movie.

The chief said the officer did hear the shots, and right after, the victim crossed the officer's path and collapsed.

Allegheny County homicide detectives are now handling the case. They have not commented yet.

As of Thursday afternoon, the movie is no longer showing at the Waterfront theater.

Refresh this page later for updates from WTAE Channel 4 Action News.

"This movie's so good, I gotta bust a cap up in here"--Chris Rock
Old 11-10-05, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Johny Boy
What about Snoop Dogg? He kicked ass in Training Day in that wheel chair. "Sandman!" And P. Diddy was great in Monster's Ball.

Don't forget Mos Def. He is by far a better actor, than any rapper in movies today.

I'll probably check this movie out at the dollar show.
Old 11-10-05, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by MartinBlank
"This movie's so good, I gotta bust a cap up in here"--Chris Rock
And the white folks is like, "oh my gosh what is going on here?" And the black folks is like, "shut up, whitey, and keep to yo' dammmnnnn self!" And so the white folks is all, "oh my goodness, these [whisper] black people [/whisper] mean business. Let's get out of here. Honey, grab the kids. Piper, Cody, Trixie, where are you guys...we have to go."

-JP
Old 11-10-05, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by SPiRAL
Don't forget Mos Def. He is by far a better actor, than any rapper in movies today.

I'll probably check this movie out at the dollar show.
I forgot about Mos Def. He's definitely a good actor (and one of the few great living rappers left, I might add).

I don't know if he's a better actor than Ice Cube, though. Ice T was pretty good too. I'd have to give those two the slight edge over Mos.

As for the 50 Cent movie, I'll probably wait till it comes to TNT or the USA Channel. And even then I'll probably flip the channels and only catch half of the movie. I'm a huge fan of good hip hop, but I never could stand 50 Cent. He can't rap and he should just retire and join the WWF so he can wrestle Hulk Hogan and Alonzo Mourning.

Last edited by Johny Boy; 11-10-05 at 10:33 PM.
Old 11-11-05, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So is this a movie REVIEW thread or a thread about how some people hate gangsta rap and are not going to see the movie?
Old 11-11-05, 06:36 AM

It is a thread where people come to post their thoughts on the film. Given the reviews that it's gotten thus far, I don't see how you could possibly be surprised to find that not everybody is clamoring to catch a midnight screening. You act as if we should treat this film with the old constitution, "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all." Sorry to say, this movie doesn't get any special treatment.

-JP
Old 11-11-05, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Let's not forget Andre "3000" Benjamin of Outkast. That guy has better acting chops than any of them.
Old 11-11-05, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Rogue588
"Hard life"? Yeah, choosing to be a drug dealer must be pretty hard. Good thing they're rewarded like this.
Don't forget that Jim Sheridan said that 50 Cent was "a black Jesus with the scars to prove it."

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.