Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Looking to buy a new LCD $2000 to spend.

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-05, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys. I'm looking to buy a new 42'' lcd widescreen tv. I'd like the pricepoint to not exceed 2000 dollars. Right now I'm looking at a Sony 42" HDTV (KDF-E42A10) How is this tv? pros, cons? I'm willing to check out anyones suggestions for a different tv. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 11-09-05, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 250 Likes on 185 Posts
I got the 50" Sony Wega LCD in March and couldn't be happier with it.
Old 11-09-05, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You're looking at an LCD projection tv, right? You could actually get a flat panel LCD (very different technology) for $2000 (although not a 42 inch model). The LCD projection tvs are nice, but so are the DLPs.
Old 11-09-05, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
or a panny 42" plasma for a b it under your budget, which will look even better imo.
Old 11-10-05, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The panny plasma is an EDTV (if it's the one I'm thinking of), but still a nice set. I personally wouldn't buy an EDTV, even a Panny (which is a nice set). For one, it can't do full HD resolution and that is important to me. Two, when people ask me if my plasma is HD, I want to be able to say yes. And before anyone says anything, I know that is a dumb reason.

If you can stretch your budget a bit (or wait for holiday sales) you may be able to snag the Panny HD set for close to your budget. This is, of course, speculation. In my opinion, the LCD projection sets aren't that hot. I would get a bigger DLP (like the Samsung 50 inch DLP) for the money. Sony has always made excellent CRTs (and now excelent projectors with the Qualia and the Ruby), but their projection sets have always been less than stellar, in my opinion.

I would either get a smaller (32 inch) Samsung LCD flat panel, or a 50 inch Samsung DLP. Whatever you choose, as long as it looks good to you, it will be the right set!
Old 11-10-05, 10:29 PM

Hey guys, thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up getting the sony 50 inch for 2200, only 300 dollars moe than the 42 inch so, what the heck, right?! So far so good im really loving it.