Veronica Mars -- "Rat Saw God" -- 11/09/05

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-05, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Veronica Mars -- "Rat Saw God" -- 11/09/05

"Rat Saw God"
Spoiler:
Veronica helps Abel Koontz, the man originally convicted for Lilly's murder, search for his missing daughter.

Cast: Kristen Bell, Percy Daggs III, Teddy Dunn, Jason Dohring, Francis Capra, Enrico Colantoni, Sydney Tamiia Poitier, Tessa Thompson, Joss Whedon, Harry Hamlin.
Producer(s): Joel Silver, Rob Thomas.

Original Airdate: November 9, 2005.
Old 11-09-05, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
11/9/05

Still can't believe this show occupies an hour timeslot when it feels like it covers 90 minutes to 120 minutes of material.

Too bad Keith lost the election, but he still has a few tricks up his sleeve. What did Keith find under the seat in the bus? Looks like a dead rat.

Logan's get back at Weevil (Logan assuming it was Weevil's gang that burned down his house) was classic rich boy, but funny nonetheless.

Veronica shows off her P.I. skills, and even gets in some double team action with Clarence. Even Joss Whedon (and the winner of the role on VM from America's Next Top Model) popped up during the car rental scenes.

Veronica showed compassion towards Kuntz on his death bed, allowing him to think good thoughts of his only daughter.

The whole "Dick" discussion between Veronica and the new mayor's daughter produced a chuckle from me. Kids, these days, just roll with the punches of having a good friend sleep with their step-mom, and then flip it around on with more needling of Logan about having the same thoughts towards his mom.
Old 11-09-05, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clarence Wiedman is the man. Well, you know, not in comparison to Keith. In comparison to everybody else, he is.

This was the best episode of the new season in my book.
Old 11-09-05, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I tried to email Veronica at [email protected], but it didn't go through.
Old 11-09-05, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Gawd, could AOL have more plugs in this episode?

It seems like UPN doesn't sell a lot of ads for this show because I saw mainly more UPN advertising for their other shows.
Old 11-10-05, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I liked the lawyer. His voice is strangely hypnotic. I hope that he gets more work on the show.
Old 11-10-05, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,096 Likes on 793 Posts
Here in central TX the sound was messed up, like everything a little Slim Whitman yodel to it. Was it just here?

Anyways. Now that I see the ep title, I get a little bit of what Keith was looking at in the final shot (it was dark and hairy), but what all was he looking at (it was too dark for me to see).

And speaking of the ep title... huh?

Last edited by Count Dooku; 11-10-05 at 06:35 AM.
Old 11-10-05, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Here in central TX the sound was messed up, like everything a little Slim Whitman yodel to it. Was it just here?

Anyways. Now that I see the ep title, I get a little bit of what Keith was looking at in the final shot (it was dark and hairy), but what all was he looking at (it was too dark for me to see).

Sound was fine here from the Cleveland affiliate.

As for the title, its taken from the title of a book, called "Rats Saw God", that was written by the show's creator, Rob Thomas.
Old 11-10-05, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The sound in Atlanta was also messed up, like it was getting modulated or the bitrate was getting resampled and produced that hollow-ness sound to it. It happened during the show, and in the commercials too.
Old 11-10-05, 07:13 AM

The thing Keith saw at the end was apparently a dead rat taped to the underside of a seat--which the person I was watching with automatically recognized and determined was meant as a signal to whoever the bus crash was aimed at--that the crash was caused because somebody on the bus was a rat. Doesn't really say a hell of a lot for Lamb's dedication to solving the crash that it was still there.

It was also, I'm guessing, what Dick smelled on the trip out.

Really dug this episode--it was a nice way to revisit some of the season 1 aftermath without feeling too tacked on. Additional closure to the Abel Koontz story, and just makes the whole thing sadder. Totally did not expect Amelia to be dead.

I wish this show had an unlimited budget--there are too many characters I'd like to see in more/every episode, but they probably can't afford it.
Old 11-10-05, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The computer lab teacher/gym teacher/basketball coach sure gets alot of work breaking up fights though.

Oh and chicks really do dig argyle.
Old 11-10-05, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,096 Likes on 793 Posts
Doesn't really say a hell of a lot for Lamb's dedication to solving the crash that it was still there.
Lamb really isn't much of a leader.
Old 11-10-05, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Count Dooku

Not sure where you are (and if there is more than one UPN station), but via DirecTV it was definitely underwater/garbled here in N. Austin... Like everyone was gargling.
Old 11-11-05, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Great episode. Interesting how nearly all of the season 2 additions (Wallace's father, Wallace's girlfriend, etc) were nowhere to be seen this episode. Pretty much a complete season 1 extension.
Old 11-11-05, 08:54 AM

Whew! You could tell that they have been saving this story for sweeps, it definately had that "tightness" have become the signature of the best eps of VM. I agree with Patman regarding the length of the ep--I kept looking at the time remaining not because I was restless, but because I couldn't believe that 2 hours hadn't passed by with all the stuff that was packed in.

Loved that Wallace is still there in Veronica's thoughts. Loved Logan's retaliation for his house being burned. Loved that this show keeps things dark by having Abel's daughter found in the ice machine. Loved the "enemies working together" scenes with VM and Clarence. I like how a lot of the mystery was solved by social engineering (ie, Veronica with the car rental people, Cliff with the phone card company) instead of just relying on the "lets solve the mystery on the internet" crutch. I love how they find a way to make Keith so menacing, "I just wanted you to know how easily I can get to you."

Do you get the feeling that I enjoyed this ep ?
Old 11-11-05, 03:08 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts
Thought it was a good ep as well.

It was weird seeing Veronica and Weidman working together.

Also good to see Wallace's family not present
Old 11-11-05, 11:20 PM

Great show. Loved the "mother" conversation between Logan and Dick.

I can't believe how much of an a-hole Logan is, yet I love his character...