Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

When a big movie doesn't come to your town...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-05, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

I have been hotly anticipating Cronenberg's A History of Violence all year, and it has yet to come to my relatively large city--Fort Collins, CO, pop. 150,000--or anywhere near it. This movie received a "wide release" over a month ago (9/30).

How can a fairly big movie just entirely skip over a city? We have three high-profile multi-screen cinemas within 10 miles of each other. I can't remember such a glaring oversight. Sure, I could travel the hour to Denver to see it on one of the 5 screens it's playing on down there, at inflated prices, but I shouldn't have to.

I see that in Orange County, CA, for example, you can see this film on just about every other screen. Hundreds of opportunities.

After all that whining, I guess I'm asking, Who do you write to, to complain about something like this? Is it worthwhile to call up the managers of the local theaters to urge them to book it?
Old 11-08-05, 03:48 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Being a college town, I'm actually fairly suprised you didn't get it. Have any local art houses? They're the ones you should talk to first.
Old 11-08-05, 04:23 PM

No real art houses, unfortunately. A couple of auditoriums at the multiplexes seem to be devoted to smaller fare, but right now, they're showing Grizzly Man and March of the Penguins instead. (That last one has been playing for about 3 months. I mean, Come on!)
Old 11-08-05, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember way back when wanting to see "Reversal of Fortune" but it never coming to my town (which was Amarillo, Texas at the time).

I've lived in Dallas for several years now, so I haven't noticed movies not coming to town for a long while (though until the Angelika and Magnolia opened, I remember having to look a little harder for some movies).
Old 11-08-05, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's widest release was 1348 theaters. Been to Fort Collins and have family in Loveland. Most movies with this theater count and a $29 million total gross is not going to make it to a town like Fort Collins.

March of the Penguins topped out at 2500 screens and is up to $76 million total gross
Old 11-08-05, 06:34 PM

I honestly can't remember another film with a similar profile--this is a top-10 grosser we're talking about--not making it to this area within a couple of weeks of the initial release. We got that Weeping Camel movie and Broken Flowers and Mad Hot Ballroom on initial release. This case is a definite oddity.

Anyway, I really just wondered...who the heck do I complain to? Do the local managers of theater chains have any real influence over what they exhibit?
Old 11-08-05, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wouldn't say History of Violence was a big movie. At least around here it didn't get much promotion and only was in a couple of theaters (area has around 700,000).

Not sure who to complain to and if it would do anything to bring it to your city. The movie has been out for weeks. Not many movies get brought in after being out for that long. If a movie is a big hit, it might get more screens a few weeks after opening but HOV wasn't a huge hit.

The best thing I would say is to find out in advance of what movie are not being brought to your area and then try to convince the theaters to show them. Give enough time before the release date so they can get the movie in time.
Old 11-09-05, 12:07 AM
Suspended

It's playing at tons of places in Denver...and it's less than an hour's drive away...why not make a day of it and go see it?
Old 11-09-05, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It didn't even open up that wide here in Pittsburgh. I had to go to Southside Works, an independent "big" theater that always shows at least two "indy" movies, to see it.
Old 11-09-05, 12:26 AM
Banned

When I was younger, New Jack City didn't come to my town until AFTER it had been released fo rental. Even something with broad star power appeal (Kuffs, back when Christian Slater could open a movie) didn't show up for a few weeks.

Yet this was the same theater chain that showed American Cyborg!
Old 11-09-05, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't ever complain really. Philadelphia has three Ritz theatres which show all the independents and if not I can make a trip to NY where something will certainly be playing. Last time I did that I drove up to NY to see 21 Grams.

I just get a lot more patient about buying stuff on DVD.
Old 11-09-05, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used to live in a small town in TN and if it wasn't a major release, we never got it. However, since I've moved to Raleigh, I have noticed we get almost everything. I watched "Capote" over the weekend. I was amazed to find out we got that since it's only on 180+ screens. A theater downtown a few weeks ago had "Grizzly Man", which I believe was in very limited release. "Everything is Illuminated" is also here and it's not playing on many screens either.

Raleigh is a big town to me, pop. around 350,000, but it's small compared to alot of other cities. I feel lucky though with the smaller films being released.
Old 11-09-05, 08:53 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Just about everything makes it here, eventually. The last movie I remember wanting to see and it not playing in Columbus was Bruno Dumont's 29 Palms, hardly a 'big' movie in anyone's book.
Old 11-09-05, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks goodness there are 3 ritz theaters just a few blocks from my apt. There is also the roxy but that place needs work. The one thing I don't go to is mainstream films, too expensive in the city and a headache to get to, not even counting having to deal with people