DVD Talk
I am preparing to shoot a dog. Give me other alternatives. [Archive] - Page 2 - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : I am preparing to shoot a dog. Give me other alternatives.

Pages : 1 [2]

mndtrp
11-20-05, 07:59 AM
.... "I felt I was wronged, I'll do whatever I have to do, I'd rather go bankrupt than pay them," Stevens said.

Both the Duphilys and the town were served with a notice that Stevens has filed for bankruptcy. "It's not because of lack of funds," Stevens said. "I feel the town isn't entitled."

He said he's disgusted with Middleboro and plans on selling his business and house.

"I want to move away from this town. I just want to live my life peaceably and enjoy the country way," he said.....
Eh? That seems a bit extreme, just to make your point. Didn't bankruptcy laws change, possibly making this plan fail?

Gil Jawetz
11-20-05, 11:36 AM
As surprising as this might seem, I kind of see the point and understand it. The villains in these situations are the assholes who let their dogs wander around unleashed. Unfortunately it's the livestock and the dogs who suffer for the neglect but I think that these dog "owners" should be jailed. Then they might think twice about their behavior.

harpo787
11-29-05, 09:51 PM
BUMP

Update? Anything happen at all?

Darknite39
11-29-05, 10:28 PM
Dave took the dogs to a cuddle party. They haven't posed a problem since.

Spiderbite
11-29-05, 10:28 PM
Screw shooting them...hang them from the front porch on hooks. Then skin them and wear a face made of theirs. Wear a dress and do the chainsaw dance. Gets rid of the dogs, scares the neighbors and every living creature will leave you alone. It's win/win!

kvrdave
11-29-05, 10:29 PM
Haven't had time to set up a dog blind at home. We had snow, and I see that they are still visiting, walking around the chicken coup, etc. I will have to take care of it, but life has been pretty hectic.

Bronkster
11-29-05, 10:40 PM
Why not give the dogs a check for $1990.80 to stay away?

Johnny Boy
11-29-05, 11:35 PM
Don't shoot the dog, I fucking love dogs. I have a cute minature snowser. Let me adopt the dog.

[EDIT:]

Now that I actually read the initial post, nevermind about the adoption. :)

But whatever you do, and however many chickens they kill, please don't shoot them.

Lemdog
11-30-05, 12:14 AM
Don't shoot the dog, I fucking love dogs. I have a cute minature snowser. Let me adopt the dog.

[EDIT:]

Now that I actually read the initial post, nevermind about the adoption. :)

But whatever you do, and however many chickens they kill, please don't shoot them.

BANG!!!!!!

too late.

Johnny Boy
11-30-05, 12:30 AM
BANG!!!!!!

too late.

:( ...

B.A.
11-30-05, 12:32 AM
What happened to having your brother-in-law do it?

kvrdave
11-30-05, 01:07 AM
He was around, but only brought his bow, and didn't spend much time down here. Maybe at Christmas time. I did bring my shotgun out of the gun safe and have it in the man room, though. I do have a gun lock on it, and it is out of reach of the boys. However, I would need to be within about 30 yards of the dogs to use this, and it would be messy.

B.A.
11-30-05, 01:13 AM
Don't you have a .22 that will do the trick?

kvrdave
11-30-05, 01:28 AM
I don't think I am a good enough shot with a .22. I am much more likely to just wound it so that it dies in the woods or something.

B.A.
11-30-05, 07:06 AM
Then have your kid do it.

:p

ShallowHal
11-30-05, 08:41 AM
What is the deal with the humane society, anyway? They are just going to end up killing these dogs as well.
Taking them to a shelter sounds better than risking the dogs being in pain if your aim is off. If your aim isn't great, I think your neighbors would get up and react if their dog came home shot. Even if they don't make it home, it's a bit cruel to have them die in the woods. I think a shelter would be much more humane about killing them. Even if they're not, at least you don't have to pull the trigger.

Michael Ballack
11-30-05, 09:07 AM
I say shoot the dog. I love dogs, but when they are loose and running all over the place because of irresponsible owners, they can be dangerous. If I had a gun, I'd shoot my neighbors dog that they alllow in the front yard without a leash. Seems like everytime I open the garage, I have that dog jump on me or my mom. It's probablly harmless, but who needs to have the fear of going outside because a dog might jump on you. We've threatened to call the village on the neighbors, but they still don't care.

So kill the damn dog dave. Do it, now!

ShallowHal
11-30-05, 09:14 AM
Why not give the dogs a check for $1990.80 to stay away?
This is the second thread I've seen a $1990.80 check mentioned. Edumacate me on that. :D

Bronkster
11-30-05, 10:39 AM
This is the second thread I've seen a $1990.80 check mentioned. Edumacate me on that. :D
More kvrdave funtimes: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=446956

kvrdave
11-30-05, 10:48 AM
Even if they're not, at least you don't have to pull the trigger.

Hell, that's half the fun.

Blade
11-30-05, 04:54 PM
Here's an idea...take pictures of the dogs. Make up a quick sign that says dogs for free explaining that they didn't get along with your horses so you have to get rid of them and to call your number and put it up at the local grocery store.

When you get a bite, just catch the dogs and give them to their new owner. The current owners don't care and the new owner will probably be far enough away that they won't come back if they get loose. It's cheap and fairly little work on your part.

harpo787
11-30-05, 05:23 PM
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/photofile-c/shotgun18.jpg

shoppingbear
11-30-05, 09:45 PM
When you get a bite, just catch the dogs and give them to their new owner. The current owners don't care and the new owner will probably be far enough away that they won't come back if they get loose. It's cheap and fairly little work on your part.rotfl :lol: Well yeah, except for the 1)CATCHING the dang dogs, and 2)the fun of dealing with the new owners when they find out the dogs are dangerous to other pets. -ohbfrank-

Ranger
11-30-05, 10:06 PM
I predict that kvrdave will report back around Christmas Eve announcing (if not bragging :lol) that he finally killed the beasts.

Mazje
11-30-05, 10:51 PM
He should shoot them, stuff them, then pose them on his lawn as reindeer pulling Santa's sleigh. And Santa should be holding a shotgun. Pointed at the dogs.

kvrdave
11-30-05, 11:16 PM
Here's an idea...take pictures of the dogs. Make up a quick sign that says dogs for free explaining that they didn't get along with your horses so you have to get rid of them and to call your number and put it up at the local grocery store.

When you get a bite, just catch the dogs and give them to their new owner. The current owners don't care and the new owner will probably be far enough away that they won't come back if they get loose. It's cheap and fairly little work on your part.

I doubt I can get them near me. By the way, it is freaking great to see you here.

Seeker
11-30-05, 11:39 PM
He should shoot them, stuff them, then pose them on his lawn as reindeer pulling Santa's sleigh. And Santa should be holding a shotgun. Pointed at the dogs.

I like this idea!

GENIUS!

Hollowgen
11-30-05, 11:45 PM
gimme a call, i'll come pick 'em up

Blade
12-01-05, 06:04 PM
2)the fun of dealing with the new owners when they find out the dogs are dangerous to other pets. -ohbfrank-
If you reread the first post, Dave said one of his dogs went off playing with them before he locked him up, and it should be no surprise that loose dogs could be a danger to chickens or horses.

Blade
12-01-05, 06:08 PM
I doubt I can get them near me. By the way, it is freaking great to see you here.
I post in Bargains at least once a week! ;)

Set up a blind and tranq those puppies! :lol:

Can't you set up traps for them? I thought you only didn't want to do that because you had no where to take them once caught...hence my suggestion.

Sucks that they're causing you so much trouble. Hope you're able to get rid of them soon. Good luck.

kvrdave
12-01-05, 07:18 PM
Can't you set up traps for them? I thought you only didn't want to do that because you had no where to take them once caught...hence my suggestion.

I have coon traps, skunk traps, etc. but these dogs are not small dogs. I would say that they are 60-80 pound dogs. Not sure what type of trap I could use that wouldn't make them chew off their foot to get out.

But it sounds like Hollogen has volunteered to get these mutts, anyway.

I may have to escape to the bargain forums just to see you. :up:

B.A.
12-01-05, 08:29 PM
Use a bear trap.

OldDude
12-01-05, 08:36 PM
Get some Russian attack squirrels.

riley_dude
12-02-05, 04:59 PM
Okay, this has been going on awhile, but I think I only posted once about it several months ago. There is one or two dogs that have been coming down to my place. At first it was merely irritating, and initially Worf would chase them off. He has given up, and on occasion my black lab will go off with them and get into mischief. She is now confined to a kennel, so that part is taken care of. I would either shoot a .22 near the dogs or in the air, and they would run away. I shot them with a bb gun as well, and now when they see me, they know they need to go away. But they still come down. Well now, they have killed two of my wife's (and kid's) chickens. Not really a big deal to me, but it is to then, and I do know that a dog that will kill animals like that, will teach other dogs (including my black lab) to do the same. I also don't want the dog to harm my cats. Same dogs use to chase my wife's horses, which is also something that cannot be tolerated. As much as I hate the horses, it would be expensive to replace them, and she would.

These things are not option....
1) There is no animal control to call because this is in the county. It don't exist here.

2) Poison won't work because of all the other animals around.

3) Contacting the owners won't work, and I don't really want to get into why, but it won't. They have been talked to, and don't care.

I am seriously on the verge of shooting these dogs, but maybe there is another way, so please help me out.

Commit yourself now or shoot yourself for even posting something so upsurd.

Mopower
12-02-05, 05:49 PM
I'd kill them and skin them and wear there faces like a mask and parade around the farm barking. Good times.

ytrez
12-02-05, 06:00 PM
Dynamite?

Koa
12-07-05, 12:14 AM
I can certainly see why you don't have much choice but to shoot them.

Did you consider feeding them a lot? Keep puppy food (high in calories) out (if that's possible without other animals getting it) or feed them on a regular basis till they get fat and lethargic. If this could be done then your neighbor won't just replace them with new dogs and the whole thing starts again. But then maybe the new dogs won't be as bad as these dogs.

Gil Jawetz
12-07-05, 06:26 AM
Or you could get them hooked on marijuana. Then they'd be too lazy to cause any trouble.

Morf
12-07-05, 10:48 AM
Commit yourself now or shoot yourself for even posting something so upsurd.

Way to join the party a month late, read the first post, and reply with such a stupid comment. Merry Christmas. :up:

kvrdave
12-07-05, 12:01 PM
Or you could get them hooked on marijuana. Then they'd be too lazy to cause any trouble.

rotfl

GoVegan
12-07-05, 01:24 PM
OMG!!! I just saw your thread title and wanted to get in here and stop you from doing something you might regret. THERE ARE LITERALLY THOUSANDS OF ALTERNATIVES!!!

You could try a cow, or maybe a pig. A squirrel, if you're looking for something a bit smaller and, therefore, more of a challenge. An eagle would probably be tough. A horse if you've got a spare one standing around.

Anyway, I'm glad you're at least willing to consider alternatives.

kvrdave
12-07-05, 02:10 PM
rotfl

you moran. That's good stuff.

Mazje
12-20-05, 10:18 AM
So, it's been like 2 weeks.

Are the dogs going to live to see another Christmas or what?

We need closure.

Fok
12-20-05, 12:09 PM
Yeah are they dead yet?