Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

What's with all the "charging more for the 2-disk version" crap lately? (merged)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

What's with all the "charging more for the 2-disk version" crap lately? (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-05, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While most new 2-disk DVDs are the only version available and go for the sale price (usually around $15), movies like Constantine, Batman Begins, and now Charlie & the Chocolate Factory (just a few off the top of my head) have a single disk movie only version that goes for the sale price, while the 2-disk version is around $23.

I'm sure its just the studio's way of making more money, but I don't think its fair. Also, are these all from the same studio?
Old 11-05-05, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

all three of those titles are warner brothers releases. Several companies are doing this....Disney with Life Aquatic, Fox with I <3 huckabees, and kinsey...paramount with Lemony Snickett.

home media retailing had a good article on it a few months back. When a store like best buy chareges 15.99 for a new release they stand to lose 2-3 dollars on every copy they sell. This is called a loss leader. They do it to get people in the door, and then charge them more on printer paper, washing machines, tvs....they figure that when you are ready to make a large purchase you will be most comfortable in their store since you come and pick your dvd's up there.

They assume this will get in the average customers, and they will buy the disc. It also makes fans of the movie, and dvd format pay a price that nets them a profit of 2-5 dollars on the disc.

they are in the business of making money. For you the dvd/film fanatic, it sucks. For them it makes sense.
Old 11-05-05, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
While most new 2-disk DVDs are the only version available and go for the sale price (usually around $15), movies like Constantine, Batman Begins, and now Charlie & the Chocolate Factory (just a few off the top of my head) have a single disk movie only version that goes for the sale price, while the 2-disk version is around $23.

I'm sure its just the studio's way of making more money, but I don't think its fair. Also, are these all from the same studio?
Yes - they are all Warner Brothers movies.

Some of the reasons they might be doing it this way...
- believe it or not, the "average" person (which DOESN'T include most of the folks who post here) doesn't give a crap about special features, and only wants to see the movie. So the studio is aiming that single disc, with limted features version at them.
- Since they do know there are people (like us) who do want all the bonus features we can get, they offer up a 2 disc set. And since 's it's an "extra" disc, they naturally will charge more to cover the cost of it.
- Also, if you've noticed, all these "Special Editon" sets, have included an extra book (comic, or other), so you're getting even more - which also adds to the cost.
But basically it boils down to the theory of - if they're giving you more, they're going to charge more - if you want less, you'll pay less.

While we may not like it, unfortunately, it is completely fair - as it's the studios product, and they can set the prices at whatever they like. Just be glad they aren't even more expensive.
Old 11-05-05, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cameron
home media retailing had a good article on it a few months back. When a store like best buy chareges 15.99 for a new release they stand to lose 2-3 dollars on every copy they sell. This is called a loss leader. They do it to get people in the door, and then charge them more on printer paper, washing machines, tvs....they figure that when you are ready to make a large purchase you will be most comfortable in their store since you come and pick your dvd's up there.
Is that the article where the Best Buy representative said that those of us that just come in and buy the loss leader stuff and not the over-priced material are "the enemy" and they'd rather not have our business?

I remember some article being posted here at DVD Talk with that quote, and it floored me. Not that they think of us as undesirable, we know that already. But that they'd have the balls to actually say it.
Old 11-05-05, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Warner Brothers didn't used to think this way when they released 2-disc only versions of Terminator 3, Matrix Reloaded, and Matrix Revolutions which all were priced at $15 during their release week.

What pisses me off is stores like Best Buy and Circuit City will usually price the single disc version to around $15, but they don't discount the 2-disc at all, even though the retail price difference between the 2 is usually $2.00

EXAMPLE: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory 1-disc Retail: $28.98, Circuit City in-store price on release week: $14.99

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory 2-disc Retail: $30.98, Circuit City in-store price on release week: $22.99

Is that 2nd disc really worth $8?
Old 11-05-05, 09:40 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Futureshop here in Canada had a one day sale for Batman Begins DE at a great price. For me as long as there's warnings like these, I'm not too upset.
Old 11-05-05, 09:48 AM

Oh I remember how everyone moans and cries when a company releases a one-disc version and then announces a 2-disc SE for 3 months later. I, for one, prefer that they give me the option right up front. Some movies I do for the 2-disc (Batman Begins) -- some movies I don't (probably Charlie and the Chocolate factory).

I say its a matter consumer choice and this way we have all the information in front of us.
Old 11-05-05, 09:55 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Yeah it's crap, all right. The 2-disc version with all the extra material should cost the same as the 1-disc version! What do they think they're doing charging us extra for extra content?
Old 11-05-05, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Would it be fair if they just charge around $23 for ALL 2 disc sets from now on on release week?
If they wanna charge more for the two disc sets and sell the one disc DVDs on sale for $15-$16, I can understand that. For $15 I'm happy to get the movie, with or without commentaries. I bought Batman Begins last week for $15, the price of going to the movies to see it once with popcorn and a coke, and now it's mine to watch as many times as I'd like for years to come. I'd LIKE to see every movie released for $10, box sets for $20, but I don't think they're being unfair by charging what they choose to charge; people don't have to buy it if they don't like the price.
Old 11-05-05, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
Yeah it's crap, all right. The 2-disc version with all the extra material should cost the same as the 1-disc version! What do they think they're doing charging us extra for extra content?
A second disc with extras such as shorts, interviews, promotional materials and they aren't giving it to us for free? MADNESS!!!
Old 11-05-05, 10:26 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Warner Brothers didn't used to think this way when they released 2-disc only versions of Terminator 3, Matrix Reloaded, and Matrix Revolutions which all were priced at $15 during their release week.

What pisses me off is stores like Best Buy and Circuit City will usually price the single disc version to around $15, but they don't discount the 2-disc at all, even though the retail price difference between the 2 is usually $2.00

EXAMPLE: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory 1-disc Retail: $28.98, Circuit City in-store price on release week: $14.99

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory 2-disc Retail: $30.98, Circuit City in-store price on release week: $22.99

Is that 2nd disc really worth $8?
Exactly, because at long last, the retailers and studios are finally hip to the substantial submarket of megafans like you and I, and they're sticking it to us, improving their bottom line substantially, because they know we will pay it. It's smart marketing; I don't have to like it to appreciate that it's an intelligent business move.
Old 11-05-05, 10:44 AM

i concur.
considering in most cases, we would buy the single release for $15 on release day, have the studio announce a speical edition released a month later, and then we would buy the special edition for $15. So...

$15+$15 = $30 + we have 2 of the same movie

-or-

$23 = $23 (i think i like this one better)
Old 11-05-05, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Like mentioned (although, not in full detail), Future Shop and Best Buy in Canada have had one day sales on Constantine, Batman Begins and on tuesday Charlie & The Chocolate factory... and on the sale, the 1disc and the 2 disc are the same price! (approx $22 CDN).

I think it's smart of WB to offer two options. Video stores don't give a damn about extras, so they buy the 1 disc (cheaper) and lots of people also don't care about extras, so they pick it up too. Now, it does cost them MONEY to make the supplements, so having to pay for them shouldn't come as a surprise... I would still buy the 2 discs no matter what, but the fact that here they are the exact same price on release day makes it a no brainer.
Old 11-05-05, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So, you're saying you like to pay for something now that used to be a given?
Old 11-05-05, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm more angry at the pricing.

If the 1-disc has a list price of $28.99, and sells for $14.99 in store, then the 2-disc that has a list price of $30.99, should sell for $16.99 in store, not $22.99

If they studios are telling us that the 2nd disc is such a bonus to us, then why are the retail prices only a difference of a couple of dollars? They're saying the bonus disc is only worth $2.
Old 11-05-05, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Not many things in life is fair. Just ways for companies to make more $$$
Old 11-05-05, 11:12 AM

So, you're saying you like to pay for something now that used to be a given?
Do you like paying for anything? Life would be great if everything was free, wouldn't it? To suggest that it's unfair for the studios to charge extra for extra content is, frankly, absurd.

Now, if you want to argue that it's unfair for the studios to put forced trailers and annoying anti-piracy spots on the discs we paid for, then I would wholeheartedly agree with you.
Old 11-05-05, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
What I have also noticed is that these more expensive films don't seem to drop in price as much. (Exception: Back to the Future Trilogy). These super multi-disc versions of films used to be a much higher price.

Look at, for example, the collector's edition of Master and Commander. Amazon has it for $36. The single disc? $11.

And Magnolia, which is not anamorphic and does not really have a full 2nd disc of extras, is still above $20. (Often up to $25).

Seven is also still above $20 eventhough it's been out for over four years. The single disc, meanwhile, has dropped to $11.

Basically: They've figured out we want the loaded versions and are willing to pay for them.

The good news is that new re-releases (Big Lebowski, Tommy Boy, The Fly), all come in at already low prices (sub $15).
Old 11-05-05, 11:37 AM

I also remember Best Buy saying they consider bargain-hunters to be undesirable customers. Funny that they're the ones running a game - lure you in with a low price on one thing in order to sell you something else - and they cry foul when the consumer gets wise to it.

While releasing both one and two disc editions at once can help avoid a double-dip, I also do not like this new trend. I'm usually more interested in the movie than any extra features, but I like having them available, because to me it makes buying the DVD more worthwhile. But I don't like paying more for something I may watch infrequently, if not only once. So I'm in a real pickle.

I made out lucky with Batman Begins DE, however. I got Best Buy to pricematch WalMart's $15 online price, so I got the two disc for the one disc price. Don't know how often that will work, or be available.
Old 11-05-05, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by wennma01
i concur.
considering in most cases, we would buy the single release for $15 on release day, have the studio announce a speical edition released a month later, and then we would buy the special edition for $15. So...
In the past, when studios (FOX) does the one-disc release and then the two-disc six months down the road, they usually release the two-disc version overseas (UK, Asia) at the same time we're getting the one disc. Therefore, you can usually just order the R2/R3 release for about $15-16 and get the bonus features with the first purchase.

I don't like this new pricing structure that WB and other studios has, and I've voiced that opinion in other threads. If I can find a better price buying from another region, I will, because that's one less R1 sale of the two-disc, and maybe they'll realize they should just add that second disc back into the standard release.
Old 11-05-05, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't love the studios and their too high prices any more than anybody else, but they're obviously targeting the DVD market that is buying for more than just the movie itself, and they know that market is out there just by seeing websites such as this one. It's something of a J6P extention.....the average buyer wants the movie and that's it, so why not save money by bringing out a single disc edition to market cheap to them rather than just a two disc set where everybody gets the disc whether they want/appreciate it or not? Does it suck? Well, sure it does. They're striking while the iron is hot.

By the same token, anyone who is willing to wait for those single disc versions for 6 months or so can usually pick them up for a new MSRP of $10 or so, and the old flagship titles are in many case practically being given away these days- I can walk into Walmart and by the T2 Extreme Edition and Aliens for frickin' $7.50 these days! Why? Because most everyone who wants these titles have already picked them up for more than twice that price.
Old 11-05-05, 11:48 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
The good news is that new re-releases (Big Lebowski...), all come in at already low prices (sub $15).
Bad example--the best bargain price I could find for my THE BIG LEBOWSKI: Achiever's Edition was $35...
Old 11-05-05, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Count de Monet
Do you like paying for anything? Life would be great if everything was free, wouldn't it? To suggest that it's unfair for the studios to charge extra for extra content is, frankly, absurd.
No, what I'm saying is that its unfair that the 2nd disk used to be free, and now all of a sudden they decide to charge us for it. They had us spoiled. And now they have realized just how many people prefer extra content and have decided to capitalize on it.

Luckily none of these titles have been anything I've wanted to purchase yet.
Old 11-05-05, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by xage
And what is the point of you starting such a thread in a first place? just to create a crap? You calld that Luckily? nahh, because you pour time to pour out your side by researching,comparing,debating etc.. etc.. of the story.
Huh?

Well, if Batman Begins had been $14.99 for the 2-disk version, I may have been more compelled to buy it.

I was just curious and figured this would be a good topic for discussion.

Last edited by Snowmaker; 11-05-05 at 12:12 PM.
Old 11-05-05, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No, what I'm saying is that its unfair that the 2nd disk used to be free, and now all of a sudden they decide to charge us for it. They had us spoiled. And now they have realized just how many people prefer extra content and have decided to capitalize on it.

Luckily none of these titles have been anything I've wanted to purchase yet.
Yup, makes it obvious that the studios are doing their homework and looking to see what their buying market consists of. If the buyer leaves those 2 disc higher titles on the shelves? I dunno. They'll either just go with one disc releases or they'll go back to not simultaneously releasing one and two disc editions. They HAVE been testing the waters for the last year or so by marketing 3 disc editions of some movies like Master And Commander- I guess they found a market there so they're trying to further squeeze that section of buyers?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.