Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Joey - "Joey and the Poker" 11/03/05

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-05, 12:38 AM

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Joey - "Joey and the Poker" 11/03/05

Does anyone have any information regarding the changes they producers made to this show since last season?

I'm just curious who they might have fired or hired that is responsible for the train wreck this show has become. Seriously, I'm betting someone from the UPN has gotten involved because it just has that kind of 'feel' now.

I don't know why I'm so angry. I guess it just makes me sad because this show obviously isn't going to last another season. I know it never even came close to being the huge hit that FRIENDS was but the character was familiar and the jokes were always good for a few chuckles and some mindless entertainment for 22 minutes.

This season's storyline of Joey getting his big break just feels gutted. They couldn't have done a worse job with it and the supporting characters have changed so much from last season they may as well have been completely replaced. I don't know how the the girl playing 'Alex' even says her lines. They have turned her into such a shallow one-note shadow of last year's character.

I guess I should just let it go and move on...time to see what all the fuss is about 'The O.C"

Goodbye Joey...we hardly knew you!

Last edited by bluesix; 11-04-05 at 12:42 AM. Reason: Bolding title
Old 11-04-05, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Did she....?"
"Does it matter?"

The "train wreck this show has become"? IMO, it's no better or worse than it was last year.
Old 11-04-05, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The show still feels disjointed at this point. No one is really meshing together well.

However, I still thought some of last night's episode was hilarious -- epsecially the conversation that Chew references above.
Old 11-04-05, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Chew
"The "train wreck this show has become"? IMO, it's no better or worse than it was last year.
That's kinda the problem isn't it? It wasn't exactly a smooth express ride last year, and this year certainly no better. Quite possibly worse.

bluesix does have a good point about the show having a UPN 'feel' to it.

Joey has evolved into a caricature of his own already fairly ridiculous character.

Last edited by Phil L.; 11-04-05 at 08:27 AM.
Old 11-04-05, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I like it. Missed a lot of last season, but this season has been pretty funny and overall, very enjoyable. I'm pretty surprised more people aren't watching.

MATT
Old 11-04-05, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Phil L.
That's kinda the problem isn't it?
I'm by no means saying it was ever a great or even a good show. It was a train wreck last year and it's still one this year. Thus, it hasn't "gotten any worse".
Old 11-04-05, 10:26 AM

I felt that they are just recycling or reusing a lot of the jokes from Friends; last night's for example they re-used the make-up-your-own-game joke they did between Phobee and Joey.
Old 11-04-05, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Spring Roll
I felt that they are just recycling or reusing a lot of the jokes from Friends; last night's for example they re-used the make-up-your-own-game joke they did between Phobee and Joey.
And Ross/Joey/Chandler when Joey was auditioning to be a game show host.
Old 11-04-05, 10:50 AM

And Ross/Joey/Chandler when Joey was auditioning to be a game show host.
Now, THAT was hillarious
Old 11-04-05, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Last night was the first episode I've caught this season. The black guy from Juwana Mann is definitely not a good addition. I thought the show was starting to get a rhythm towards the end of last season, but this one was just lousy.
Old 11-04-05, 11:41 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Spring Roll
At least Alex didn't try to play Cups with Joey.
Old 11-04-05, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by JasonF
At least Alex didn't try to play Cups with Joey.
Cups was what I kept thinking about throughout that whole bit.
Old 11-04-05, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
Gina: "I knew this was going to happen."
Alex: "You knew Joey was going to go on Celebrity Poker Showdown and get put into a headlock by Coolio?"

I thought it was a good episode. I laughed out loud several times, including the "Hungry Queen" and the Texas Earthquake.
Old 11-04-05, 02:26 PM

Received 803 Likes on 523 Posts
"Last night you became a man. Today, you became a Tribiani!"

Old 11-07-05, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
I thought it was fine. A couple of funny parts. I do agree with whomever said (too lazy to look) that Alex has become a one-note character. But I think the show brings the funny fairly often. Enough for me to keep watching.
Old 11-07-05, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll keep on watching too. It doesn't have any programming conflicts where I am, and it is pretty funny at times, and just overall entertaining, so I'll keep coming back.

I can't see it really sticking around too much longer though, maybe throughout next season, if that.
Old 11-07-05, 11:56 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Drop the black guy (I hate to have to say that, but alas) and drop in the occasional FRIENDS guest appearance and we're good to go (since I know they'll never drop Gina, the true fatal flaw of the show).