Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Yoko Ono

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-05, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yoko Ono

Who here actually listens to Yoko Ono? Like, um, ever? I picked up her one disc compilation 10 years go ("Walking On Thin Ice") and was pleasantly surprised by how good some of the songs are. Well, now I'm listening to her full box set that these songs were culled from. While it's very hard to actually enjoy in many parts, it's completely eye-opening how far ahead she was. Some of these very early 70's songs predated new wave/no wave by many years.

I doubt she gets much love because of her screaming on some songs and how people view her surrounding the Beatles.
Old 11-02-05, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
I do. Although she was savaged by the critics back in the day, she was clearly ahead of her time and by 1980, some critics acknowledged that her tracks on Double Fantasy were better than John's.

I consider Fly to be her best album and it's available on cd. Check it out!
Old 11-03-05, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I can only get as far as her voice. I should try to listen more one day as I usually like to keep an open mind.. it's just hard! And I'm not a giant Beatles fan, so her "breaking up the Beatles" doesn't really affect me.. it's just her. But I look forward to readin responses here, as I don't think I've ever heard anyone speak well of her music.
Old 11-03-05, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
"I'd like a single plum floating in perfume served in a man's hat."
Old 11-03-05, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used to listen to Yoko Ono quite often, although I was never a huge fan. I do think the album she made after Lennon was murdered (Season of Glass) is excellent.
Old 11-03-05, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i've tried to listen. i really have. but in the end, most of her stuff just felt like a cover-up. maybe for the fact that she can't sing or something, so she thought she'd pretend to be artsy and scream and blip noises. i only kept plastic ono band for a day, and traded it back. it wasn't worth the time involve to listen, even it it was john and ringo playing the music.
Old 11-03-05, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have never been able tolerate Yoko or her voice very well. The exception for me was Season of Glass. It was the first time I saw her as a sympathetic character and probably the first time I really listened. The raw emotion and power of that album is pretty overwhelming. In particular the acapella home recording that she did of 'I Don't Know Why' the day after John was killed is just chilling.
Old 11-03-05, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by nazz
In particular the acapella home recording that she did of 'I Don't Know Why' the day after John was killed is just chilling.
I wasn't aware of this recording. Sounds interesting.
Old 11-03-05, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
I wasn't aware of this recording. Sounds interesting.
It's on the Rykodisc CD of Season of Glass.
Old 11-04-05, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yoko Ono Apologizes for McCartney Remark

NEW YORK - Yoko Ono has apologized to Paul McCartney for insinuating that his songs are trite.

Accepting an award on behalf of John Lennon last month, Ono said Lennon had sometimes felt insecure about his songs, asking "why they always cover Paul's songs and never mine."

"I said, `You're a good songwriter, it's not June with spoon that you write.'"

After reports of the apparent slight circulated, Ono apologized in the latest issue of Rolling Stone magazine, now on newsstands.

"I certainly did not mean to hurt Paul, and if I did, I am very sorry," she says.

McCartney has sometimes clashed with Ono, Lennon's widow.

She objected when McCartney reversed the traditional "Lennon-McCartney" songwriting credit on his 2002 album, "Back in the U.S." Ono's spokesman accused him of attempting to "rewrite history."

McCartney had earlier complained that Ono wouldn't let him take credit for "Yesterday," a song written entirely by McCartney.