Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Exchange
Reload this Page >

What's wrong with you people II ?

Community
Search
DVD Exchange Swap DVDs with your fellow DVD Talkers.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-05, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since I can't seem to find the old one i'll start a new one again.
What is wrong with you people on here who put DVD's up for trade and then ignore offers? Whats the point of posting a list if you don't want to trade?
In the last three weeks I have posted 8 offers and only two people responded. What is up with that? Alot of the people I see doing this are new members. Let me just say that you won't make to many friends here by not responding and its not the best way to build trust. Which as a new member is really important if you want people to trade with you. It's pretty simple just no thanks if your not interested. For the older members there really is no excuse.
Its common courtesy people!
Old 11-02-05, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Eh, if someone doesn't respond I usually just take it as a no. Don't take it personaly if they don't respond. Some people don't have the time and manners to do so. It isn't a big deal, people are different.
Old 11-02-05, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Maybe they've just grown tired of telling you "no" all the time.
Just kidding!
Old 11-02-05, 01:22 PM

I'll agree with the manners part,but no time is Bullshit. If you've got the time to post trades,you should at least have the common courtesy to check your own thread at least once a day,and respond to all that have responded to you. It seems like quite a few out there have the common down really well. Now,let's work on the courtesy.
Old 11-02-05, 01:59 PM

I'd have to agree with this post.

However on the other side, I've found (even with old traders) that some can be very rude when sending offers. Also, if a trade doesn't go the way they'd like, they get pushy and pissy really fast.

Those are the kind of emails/offers I tend to be reluctant to reply to.
Old 11-02-05, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wasn't going to name anyone but since you responded to this thread,Daniel-A you were one of the six that didnt respond. How bizarre is that?

Last edited by Logic 7; 11-02-05 at 05:42 PM. Reason: typing error
Old 11-02-05, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by clappj
Maybe they've just grown tired of telling you "no" all the time.
Just kidding!
Clappj I know that you are kidding and that most of my stuff everyone seems to have already but I actually keep a list of offers I make so that I don't bug the same people with the junk I can't seem to get rid of. On top of that I know by my lists that I have'nt offerd you anything in the 6 months or so
Old 11-02-05, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Logic 7
I wasn't going to name anyone but since you responded to this thread,Daniel-A you were one of the six that didnt respond. How bizarre is that?
I don't mind being singled out. Honestly the email I use for DVDtalk isn't one I check frequently (2 or 3 times a week tops). Much easier to get in touch with me by posting in a thread that I've started, as I check my user cp frequently. I'll check my email in a bit and get back to you.
Old 11-02-05, 08:48 PM

But if you put up a list of wants, and a list of trade items to get those wants, why should you feel obligated to respond to every oddball offer you receive? Don't get me wrong, if you put "make me some offers for other stuff" in your thread, you should expect the oddballs and reply. But if you have a specific list of wants, shouldn't someone making an offer outside of those wants expect that it won't generate response/interest? I'm not saying you shouldn't make the offers, just don't expect a tremendous response.

As an aside(since we are on the What is Wrong topic) I've noticed a lot of thread crapping here(your prices are to high, you want too much in trade for a misprice, etc.) In every other forum I've used that stuff was handled via pm or email, privately.
Old 11-02-05, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Daniel-A, I did reply in your thread not via email

Joey, Most people here,if they are only interested in specific titles make that very clear. I.E "These are the only titles im looking for right now". But how much effort does it take to say no thanks when it isnt posted that way? It just common courtesy. Just like,You are right about telling someone that their prices are to high. Unfortunetly we are not allowed to PM here. I've never understood that.
Old 11-02-05, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Logic 7: Please don't take offense, but I did not reply to you once because you offered me titles that I had already told you I was not interested in. Many people will do this and if I have already indicated I was not interested, I see no reason to keep telling them no unless they are offering new titles.
Old 11-02-05, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As I stated above I make lists of people I make offers to. I accidently missed that I had offered you the discs a couple weeks earlier. That was my fault. This thread was not inspired by you or my offer to you in any way. Ive had that many more unfortunetly.
Old 11-02-05, 11:40 PM

I was thinking of posting something like this too. No responses drive me nuts.
Old 11-03-05, 06:59 AM

Maybe I'm in the minority, but trading used to be alot easier 3+ years ago. Back then, trades were easy to come by, and ALL traders were courteous and just interested in exchanging dvds.

Nowaways it seems everyone is concerned with MSRP and treat every trade like they are buying/selling stocks and bonds. Not that there is anything wrong with wanting similar value in trades, but some people take it too seriously.

Years ago, I NEVER had trouble with the logistics of trades. After the deal was made, the dvds always arrived on time and in good condition. Lately, I've had people send stuff 3 weeks late, and not even have the courtesy to inform me it was sent late. Also had people make deals, only to reneg on the offer AFTER my dvds have been shipped. They did put "return to sender" on the dvds, but never re-imbursed for shipping, etc. The trader never even informed me of the reneg, until I asked him what was up.

There are a lot of great traders on this forum, but hidden among the great traders are some real knobs. Its hit or miss really.
Old 11-03-05, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
I think that once you post a thread you have to accept that maybe you are not going to get the kind of communication you would appreciate. I think it comes part and parcel with the forum, even though i agree it can be frustrating.

Take for example a trade i recently did with the member. I mailed him my trade a while ago and he received it a few days back. He emailed me to confirm that he had received and he would be sending me the DVD through he intended to trade. I have emailed him a couple of times to confirm if he has posted, but he still hasn't emailed me back. I understand that people can be busy and that maybe he simple hasn't had time to check his emails like i expect a lot of people on the forum.

The best thing is to keep your cool and just give things time.

Last edited by james2025a; 11-03-05 at 10:44 AM.
Old 11-03-05, 09:25 AM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
While reponses can't be guaranteed, the Exchange Forum guidelines clearly states the timeline all trades/shipping/etc. are to take. If this timeline is not met, without specific agreements to the contrary, that constitutes a questonable trade.

It's really quite simple: if you don't have time to respond or ship, stay out of this forum and leave it to the people who can handle it.
Old 11-03-05, 10:03 AM
Banned

Selling, and trading items is like operating a private, or commercial business. Your punctuality, prompt responses, and communications show gratuitous reliability, and trustworthiness towards potential customers. Without performing these attributes displays a deficient negativity of sincereness regarding their propositions. Consequences of such, will definately lose complete credibility of their endeavors, and in a result of unsuccessfulness.
Old 11-03-05, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I try and respond to all offers, but will openly admit to not doing so all the time. In those cases, it's usually because I intended to come back and respond later and never did.
Old 11-03-05, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Mao
While reponses can't be guaranteed, the Exchange Forum guidelines clearly states the timeline all trades/shipping/etc. t.
I bet that over 50 percent of the people that use this
forum have never actually read the complete guidelines.

Of the 50 percent that have, about only half actually
follow them.

I agree on one thing though. If someone has taken the
time to read ones trade list and make an offer.
One should at least respond to it in a timely
& polite manner. Geez how long does it take to
say: No Thank You.
Old 11-04-05, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It takes me a lot longer to get back to people than it used to, for the simple reason that the board is a LOT slower than it used to be, so I don't check it out as much as I used to. A few years ago, I would check the board multiple times a day, but now, it seems like there are a handful of posts a day, and it tends to be the same people with the same titles. New titles don't appear here as much as they did in the past. Who knows? Maybe DVD burners are to blame. All I know is the average number of trades here must have dropped dramatically in the last couple of years...
Old 11-04-05, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by movieking
It takes me a lot longer to get back to people than it used to, for the simple reason that the board is a LOT slower than it used to be, so I don't check it out as much as I used to. A few years ago, I would check the board multiple times a day, but now, it seems like there are a handful of posts a day, and it tends to be the same people with the same titles. New titles don't appear here as much as they did in the past. Who knows? Maybe DVD burners are to blame. All I know is the average number of trades here must have dropped dramatically in the last couple of years...
I don't see why this would have any impact on how long it takes to get back to people. If you start a thread, SUBSCRIBE to it. If anyone replies you'll get an Email. If you get an Email, check your thread and respond. If you don't get an Email, you never even have to check the forum.

That's the biggest thing I don't understand. I understand that I'm online more than most people, but when someone posts in my thread, I'll usually respond within an hour or two and at least by the next day.

I've offered trades in threads where not only did the person NEVER respond back, but they ended up deleting the thread too. Ridiculous.
Old 11-04-05, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You're using the assumption that everyone checks their email often. I can go days without reading my email, and I am sure I am not the only one. Being subscribed to the thread would do nothing for me.
Old 11-04-05, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I do think that in general it's disrespectful not to reply, but I also think that some offers I get are disrespectful in themselves. Sometimes they're poorly worded or confusing (if you're going to email me, take the time to do it properly) and sometimes they're just really unfair pricewise. In such cases, rare as they may be, I really don't feel an obligation to respond.
Old 11-04-05, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree. If I get an offer that is unfair or rude, I tend not to reply, rather than reply in a rude way.
Old 11-04-05, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by movieking
You're using the assumption that everyone checks their email often. I can go days without reading my email, and I am sure I am not the only one. Being subscribed to the thread would do nothing for me.
Then you shouldn't start threads. My assumption is not that everyone checks their email often, it's that everyone is respectful.

Originally Posted by Mao
It's really quite simple: if you don't have time to respond or ship, stay out of this forum and leave it to the people who can handle it.
If you start a thread promoting your items, then it's common courtesy to check your Email at least once per day to see if anyone's interested. If you don't have time to check your Email at least once per day, then don't participate. Anything else is just rude.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.