Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Exchange
Reload this Page >

FS/T: The Yakuza Papers

Community
Search
DVD Exchange Swap DVDs with your fellow DVD Talkers.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-05, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's the item at Amazon.

6-disc set, limited edition metal case, still sealed. MSRP is $99.99.

If trading, I'd prefer to trade for larger items that I don't already own (any Criterion releases not listed here, a boxed set or two, etc). My main want is the Hitchcock Criterion box, "Wrong Men and Notorious Women." I'd be willing to offer cash in addition to the Yakuza Papers set if you have one available. Aside from that, just list any items that you think I may want that fit the descrpiton of what I'm looking for.

If you're looking to buy, I'd like $65 delivered via USPS Media Mail (money order or cashier's check only)...and you have the option to upgrade the shipping at your expense.

I'm located in Texas. I'm not a gold trader...but I've got two successful trades under my belt here. If you buy, I'd like the money up front. If we trade, and you're a gold trader, I'll be more than happy to send first.

I'll give this a week or two, then it's off to eBay. Thanks for looking.

-JP
Old 10-31-05, 06:56 PM

Please check my list. You can have any combination of titles worth $21.99 plus TX tax.

No, seriously, check my list. Thanks.
Old 10-31-05, 07:28 PM

Heh, the one that cost $21.99 is still in my collection. This one was $23.99.

From your tradelist, Straw Dogs caught my eye. In the rest of your collection, a lot of discs labeled "NOT FOR TRADE" caught my eye.

-JP
Old 10-31-05, 07:43 PM

I might be willing to make an exception if you give me a fair trade. Straw Dogs is sealed so I'd like to trade it as such. Let me know if we can work something out.

BTW, I obviously don't care how much you paid for your set. I just care about making a fair trade based on market values.
Old 10-31-05, 08:01 PM

Understood, and agreed. Best price online for this set is DDD, new, for $66.47. Others: Overstock $67.58, DVDPlanet $74.96, DVDEmpire $79.95, Buy dotcom $84.85, and Amazon $89.96. Dropping Amazon's inflated price, the online average cost comes out to $74.75 or so. Do you think that's a fair price for negotiation's sake?

These are the discs that I most wanted from your collection of Criterions, in order of preference:
Wrong Men and Notorious Women
Sid & Nancy
Grey Gardens
The Bank Dick
W.C. Fields - 6 Short Films
Contempt
Great Adaptations set
Kurosawa Samurai Classics set
Straw Dogs (a higher want, but this far down on the list since I'm not too keen on it being sealed)

-JP
Old 10-31-05, 08:14 PM

Hmm, not sure if we're going to be able to work this out. I think the relevant market values for all DVDs (yours and mine) are the lowest available online prices from a reputable dealer. In my mind, I'm going to be able to get The Yakuza Papers from DDD for $53.18 shipped in a few weeks, so that's the relevant figure for me--of course, my titles are subject to the same renormalization (except for the OOP ones, which, except for Straw Dogs, I won't trade for The Yakuza Papers anyway). Anyway, if you think we can still work out a trade, let's do it over email. Otherwise, good luck--it's an awesome set and there should be lots of takers.
Old 10-31-05, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any interest in:
The Bank Dick
& either
Blood for Dracula
Flesh for Frankenstein

for the set.
Old 11-01-05, 01:45 AM

I'll do it for Blood for Dracula and Flesh for Frankenstein, if you like.

-JP
Old 11-01-05, 06:57 AM

A bit of unnecessary animosity was here!

Nevermind about the trade and good luck selling off the DVD.

Last edited by fender69; 11-01-05 at 05:01 PM.
Old 11-01-05, 04:11 PM

A bit of unnecessary animosity there, but I'll respond anyway. For starters, what I paid for the item is irrelevant. If I found an authentic copy of Salo for $10 used, I wouldn't be expected to turn and trade it for $75 simply because I got a good deal on it.

Secondly, you offered The Bank Dick along with one of the two Dallesandro films, correct? On Amazon's secondary marketplace, The Bank Dick starts at $29.50 (with four items available for under $30). Flesh for Frankenstein starts at $29.43 (with three items available for less than $30). I assumed, since they can be had in several separate instances for the same amount, that the two would be interchangable alongside the more sought after, and more expensive Blood for Dracula. As such, I wanted to knock out both of the Dallesandro films at once, rather than having to chase the other one down.

Anyway, thanks for your time.

-JP
Old 11-01-05, 05:00 PM

The misprice thing really has nothing to do with it. (ok, maybe I'm a bit jealous)
but
The boxed set can be had for $66.47 from DDD shipped (even cheaper during their 20% sale)
You can get Bank Dick and Flesh for Frankenstein for $30 each plus $5 for shipping.

That seems like it was a more than fair offer considering both the CCs are OOP.

Anyway sorry if you sensed a bit of unnecessary animosity.
Old 11-01-05, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by fender69
The misprice thing really has nothing to do with it. (ok, maybe I'm a bit jealous)
but
The boxed set can be had for $66.47 from DDD shipped (even cheaper during their 20% sale)
You can get Bank Dick and Flesh for Frankenstein for $30 each plus $5 for shipping.

That seems like it was a more than fair offer considering both the CCs are OOP.

Anyway sorry if you sensed a bit of unnecessary animosity.

Oh, I understand, and I agree that it was a fair offer, but I'd have taken Blood for Dracula along with Bank Dick...and since Bank Dick and Flesh for Frankenstein go for around the same price and you were willing to do BD with Blood for Dracula, I figured I'd see if you were willing to swap Flesh for BD so I could knock out both of the Dallesandro movies in one trade.

Anyway, thanks for the generous offer, and happy trading.

-JP