Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Antony and the Johnsons

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Antony and the Johnsons

Old 10-31-05, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Antony and the Johnsons

"It’s not often that an album released in January gets called one of the best of the year in near-unison, but the second full length by Antony and the Johnsons is so startlingly beautiful that it simply has to be. " - Amazon

"The ultimate draw is Antony's voice... [he] has an amazing Nina Simone/Brian Ferry/Jimmy Scott vibrato, a multi-octave siren that would sound painfully lovely no matter what he was saying. Lucky for us, he fills that promise with worthy syllables." - Pitchfork

"Antony's bluesy parlor room cadence is more upfront here, resulting in a listening experience that's both exhilarating and disquieting." - AMG

A short preview of their song "You Are My Sister" is available here: http://www.brainwashed.com/common/so..._my_sister.mp3

Note that it is a duet and that is Boy George singing, Antony doesn't show up until the very end.

I can't say that this is my favorite album of all time or of this year. But I know I was captivated by it quicker than anything I've ever heard before. His warbling vocals reminded me a lot of early Terry Callier's stuff, both in their sound and their sad, melancholy content. But Antony's songs have such a troubling and disturbing undercurrent that it adds a ton of depth. And then something like "You are My Sister" or "Fistful of Love" comes on and his voice changes to such a delightful, lilting vibrato that you're reminded of Nat King Cole or some old, old song.

I think a lot of people here would like it. Listen to it or get it if you get a chance. It's great.
Old 10-31-05, 10:12 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
My wife bought it, and she rarely buys CDs anymore.

I can't begin to say how much I hate the album. The guy may be a talented singer, but his voice annoys me more than almost any vocalist I can think of.

Last edited by wendersfan; 01-27-06 at 07:57 PM.
Old 10-31-05, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i've had the recent album since it came out. i picked up the first one as well. it's very strange stuff. i really really like it. of course, it, like a lot of other challening/indie music, doesn't appeal to everyone!
Old 10-31-05, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I heard some of this not too long ago. I was really surprised it was a guy singing. Interesting stuff, but I'm not sure how much I could take in one sitting.
Old 10-31-05, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
I heard some of this not too long ago. I was really surprised it was a guy singing. Interesting stuff, but I'm not sure how much I could take in one sitting.
Exactly what my friend said. His album is only 35 minutes long and I can't always sit through it. I can't sit through most albums anyway.
Old 10-31-05, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
"It’s not often that an album released in January gets called one of the best of the year in near-unison, but the second full length by Antony and the Johnsons is so startlingly beautiful that it simply has to be. " - Amazon

"The ultimate draw is Antony's voice... [he] has an amazing Nina Simone/Brian Ferry/Jimmy Scott vibrato, a multi-octave siren that would sound painfully lovely no matter what he was saying. Lucky for us, he fills that promise with worthy syllables." - Pitchfork

"Antony's bluesy parlor room cadence is more upfront here, resulting in a listening experience that's both exhilarating and disquieting." - AMG

A short preview of their song "You Are My Sister" is available here: http://www.brainwashed.com/common/so..._my_sister.mp3

Note that it is a duet and that is Boy George singing, Antony doesn't show up until the very end.

I can't say that this is my favorite album of all time or of this year. But I know I was captivated by it quicker than anything I've ever heard before. His warbling vocals reminded me a lot of early Terry Callier's stuff, both in their sound and their sad, melancholy content. But Antony's songs have such a troubling and disturbing undercurrent that it adds a ton of depth. And then something like "You are My Sister" or "Fistful of Love" comes on and his voice changes to such a delightful, lilting vibrato that you're reminded of Nat King Cole or some old, old song.

I think a lot of people here would like it. Listen to it or get it if you get a chance. It's great.
In the song "You are My Sister", Antony is the first one to start singing. I don't know about about that preview, though. He was on Letterman a couple of weeks ago and I am glad to see that there is spike in interest because of it. I have been listening to him since his split with Current 93 but fell in love with the Antony side a lot more. His first album released by Durtro is an excellent straight listen but way more inaccessiable to people who have problems with his voice for he reaches his limits on that one but that album is probably one of my favorites of all time. Go to myspace.com/antonyandthejohnsons to hear full songs. Yeah, he won the Mercury Prize for best album if you didn't know that. "Hope There's Someone" or his version of Edgar Allen Poe's "The Lake" is what usually makes fans for him. I was actually going to fly out to NYC to see his show at Carnigie but I was lacking major funds to go. Saw him a few years ago in NYC, though, and it was amazing. I think a teardrop came down.
Old 11-01-05, 12:39 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I got turned on to Antony And The Johnsons through an interview with Laurie Anderson. I picked up his first album and a single, and loved it. Listen to it all the time. I have the new one, but haven't heard it yet.

When I saw Lou Reed in Los Angeles, Antony was with him and took lead vocals on "Candy Says." It was amazing.
Old 11-01-05, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I got turned on to Antony And The Johnsons through an interview with Laurie Anderson. I picked up his first album and a single, and loved it. Listen to it all the time. I have the new one, but haven't heard it yet.

When I saw Lou Reed in Los Angeles, Antony was with him and took lead vocals on "Candy Says." It was amazing.
One of the highlights (of few) of Lou Reed's "The Raven" was Antony singing vocals of "Perfect Day." Wonderfulness.
Old 11-01-05, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by ChrisKnudsen
In the song "You are My Sister", Antony is the first one to start singing. I don't know about about that preview, though.
It's unfortunate, most of the preview is actually Boy George, not Antony.
Old 01-27-06, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It has been mentioned but just a head's up.

This album is $7.99 at Best Buy this week.
Old 01-27-06, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I saw that. Its so funny but great at the same time. I heard he is getting some play on Adult Contemp stations but I haven't heard anything on them yet (then again, I don't listen to Adult Contemp).
Old 01-27-06, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Finally heard the whole album two weeks ago and LOVE it. I want to hear the debut now.
Old 01-27-06, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

atlantamoi, you should get a hold of the Lake EP. His version of the Lake is probably my favorite song of his. A live version is also on that Golden Apples comp (and split with Current 93) but I think I prefer the studio version. I love the debut, too. The first album runs together more and is an album that you have to listen to straight through. I got a little obsessed with it at the time of release but oh well. At least I didn't get beat up for it.
Old 01-28-06, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't think a week has passed where I haven't listened to this album.
Old 01-30-06, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ChrisKnudsen
atlantamoi, you should get a hold of the Lake EP.... I love the debut, too.
I'll look for that EP. I just heard the debut and think it's also a great work. This is nice stuff. I guess I could understand why someone might not get into this music. I'm sort of left cold by the lead singer of Tindersticks and it's not light years different (although maybe that's closer to Nick Cave, one of my faves).
Old 01-30-06, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought this a while ago. I just don't get it. The songs seem structure-less to me and his insanely annoying vocal mannerisms are matched only by Connor Oberst and that guy from "Clap Your Hands, Say Yeah!" on the irritating scale. I'll have any Belle and Sebastian album instead, please.
Old 01-30-06, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

there are those who are serious about appreciating the song(s) as a whole, and those who just don't want to think about it. i think being able to listen to/enjoy antony takes some serious concentration!
Old 06-19-06, 10:37 AM

I've just discovered Antony and I haven't been so excited about a band since I discovered Belle & Sebastian. I fell in love with the second album and now have just gotten into the first. Now I'm seeking out the EPs. "Fistful of Love" was the first song I had heard and it totally knocked me on my ass. I'm a fan for life now.
Old 06-20-06, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hollowgen
there are those who are serious about appreciating the song(s) as a whole, and those who just don't want to think about it. i think being able to listen to/enjoy antony takes some serious concentration!
That must be it, I'm just too lazy to get this guy.
Old 03-18-09, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Antony and the Johnsons

Antony and the JohnsonsThe Crying Light

"If Hegarty can craft an album this stunning about the path to paradise, just imagine how great the next one could sound, once he's actually there." - Pitchfork (Best New Music)

"The songs contained here offer something else: a glimpse of a universe beyond the pale of vision, seen only by the individual experiencing it... Whatever hopes you held in the aftermath of I Am a Bird Now, they have been exponentially exceeded in poetry, music, and honesty here." - AllMusic (AMG Pick)

"As music, it's simply exquisite -- more controlled and considered than anything Antony and the Johnsons have done and sure to linger in the minds of listeners for more than a season." - LA Times

Another great record. If you didn't like the first one, I'm not sure if this one will change your mind.
Old 03-18-09, 10:07 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: Antony and the Johnsons

Originally Posted by Hiro11
That must be it, I'm just too lazy to get this guy.
I guess I am too.

I'll be sure to tell my wife about the new album. She saw him/them live a couple of months ago and had a great time.