Reload this Page >

Anyone Getting Guitar Hero?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 10-29-05, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.guitarherogame.com/

Gotten really good press from GameSpot and IGN so far, and I EGM gave it all 9's in their latest issue.

I'm really hoping this game sells well because Harmonix really deserves a big hit.
Old 10-29-05, 01:15 PM
Banned

Harmonix is an amazing company. Amplitude is a must own for anyone who has a PS2. I'll definitely be picking this up.
Old 10-29-05, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What a great track list. Too bad, they weren't the originals, though.
Old 10-29-05, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts
It does sound like a great game, though the OPM review had me a little worried. It's apparently pretty hard if you don't play (and I don't at all). No matter how good this game is, though I doubt it'll sell well; $70 is just too steep for any game no matter how cool the peripheral is (and this may be the coolest one EVER)
Old 10-30-05, 04:15 PM

I've played it for a few hours, it's definitely not that hard to start with. (I don't play Guitar either)

It's odd that you point out the $70 is too expensive for you- Are you buying anything that's 60? (XBox 360)

I'm pretty against rising prices myself, but I wonder if I'll find myself paying the higher prices eventually.
Old 10-30-05, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisKnudsen
What a great track list. Too bad, they weren't the originals, though.

Your post is very misleading. I saw your quote underneath, thought Neutral Milk Hotel was one of the tracks on the game and nearly shit myself.

I knew it was too good to be true.

But it is a decent track listing.
Old 10-31-05, 07:55 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
$70 is an excellent price for a game with a nice peripheral like this. I always thought that the Time Crisis or Point Blank games that game that included the GunCon for only $50 was also a great deal. Compare to Dreamcast's Samba De Amigo ($40 game + $80 controller) or Xbox's House of the Dead III ($50 game + $40 gun).
Old 10-31-05, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This game seems fun, but for a guy who plays guitar and can probably play a lot of these songs decently, I'm not sure how much fun it would be. $70 is a lot of money to spend for a game, when I can do the same thing on my Strat
Old 10-31-05, 02:17 PM
fab

I will be getting this for sure, I'm a sucker for games with special peripherals.

--
fab
Old 10-31-05, 09:37 PM

Modred, why play them decently when you can be (emphasis!) a GUITAR HERO!

:P
Old 10-31-05, 10:35 PM

Red Octane shipped a copy of Guitar Hero to my store for a Super Saturday event, and I've been playing it ever since. Just by showing the game to customers walking in and walking by (I made sure the volume was fairly obnoxious), I managed to snag 30 presells for the game just on Saturday and Sunday. That may not sound like a lot, but when you consider that the only games which tend to get more than 5 or 6 presells at my store are the Maddens and GTAs of the world, 30 is a friggin' miracle. The crowds this game can draw are staggering, and people were literally lining up to try it out. If more stores get behind the game like I have, it could quite easily be a big hit.

As for the difficulty, it can be pretty brutal on even Normal difficulty if you don't usually play music rhythm games. But, coming from someone who has never even touched a guitar but is a huge fan of Frequency/Amplitude/Um Jammer/Taiko/etc, you'd be surprised how quickly it becomes second nature for your four fingers to be able to transition between the Fret buttons. When I first played Hard mode, where it uses all 5 buttons, I made it maybe 30 seconds into the song before failing, and I just couldn't understand how it could ever be possible. Now, after 3 days of lots and lots of practice, I can clear any Hard song without too much stress. And, more importantly, it just feel soooo great when you're sliding your fingers up and down the Fret buttons like a real guitarist would and slamming each and every note.

2-player mode is cool too, as each player basically trades guitar licks and parts of the chorus. It can get really intense, and the use of the Star Power meter to boost your scores adds a whole other level of strategy. A friend and I went through all 50 songs in one sitting on 2-player mode, without a moment of boredom. It's crazy addictive.

The backgrounds are pretty awesome too, and the singer and band members are all synched to the music, which doesn't sound like a big deal, but when you see it in action it really adds to the whole atmosphere.

Anyway, it comes out this week. Easily the most purely entertaining game I've played in years. Highly recommended!
Old 10-31-05, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts
I might get it. A couple of friends of mine showed me a video demo of it, and it looked really fun. Just want to see if it'll keep it's replay value etc.
Old 10-31-05, 11:22 PM

According to a few people on the CAG forums, the game has started showing up for sale in certain Best Buys.
Old 11-01-05, 11:44 AM

i ordered for instore pickup. cant wait to try this i love guitar freaks!
Old 11-01-05, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Angus loves it.

Old 11-01-05, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Pre-ordering mine today .
Old 11-01-05, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This looks pretty cool, the more I read the more I want it. I'm definitely gonna pick it up now . For the peripheral they put in it, the price looks pretty good.
Old 11-01-05, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RudeBoie
Modred, why play them decently when you can be (emphasis!) a GUITAR HERO!

:P
Very true. You've convinced me
Old 11-01-05, 08:22 PM

Whoa, Gamespot gave it a 9.0.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/puzzle/g...ml?sid=6137018

With the tilt on 10.
Old 11-03-05, 07:16 AM
Banned

Multiplayer bundle pre-order:

http://redoctane.com/gh-multibundle.html
Old 11-03-05, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I loved Frequency & Amplitude, so this was a no brainer. Picked it up last night ($65 at BB with coupon of course), and have gotten through Normal except for Bark at the Moon, which is killing me. But the game rocks. The covers are surprisingly close to the originals, and since you're paying attention to which notes to play you probably won't notice the difference for most songs. With 2 more difficulty settings left and a bunch of unlockable songs I'm going to be playing this for a looong time.

Now I just need to figure out how to hold the controller so it doesn't destroy my wrist.
Old 11-03-05, 06:24 PM

got it myself the otherday (monday) and been playing it off and on. Easy is complete and normal is about 90% done. Trying to master a few songs , just to know them. I am one that normally does not like these types of games, but I have having a lot of fun with it.

9.0 from gamespot , 9.2 from ign, 4.5 from opsm , egm all 9's .... everyone should get this game. Even if you don't like the genre and/or the pricetag, it is great and worth the purchase.
Old 11-03-05, 07:38 PM

To me, pricetag is all about value. It's not like RedOctane is overpricing or something, you know why it costs the $70. And if the game is great, the quality dictates that the price is okay.
Old 11-04-05, 08:27 AM

Have any of you that played this game also play guitar (or are there any reviews by people that have)? It looks like fun but I didn't know if there would be much challenge if you already can play guitar. I play guitar but I only play acoustic so this is definitely a different style and looks great.
Old 11-04-05, 09:35 AM

Gentlemen, put your air guitars away!

Picked this up yesterday for $65 at BB with the $5 PS2 coupon. Played it last night for 2 hours straight. Man, this is one of the best rhythm games I have ever played. It really makes you feel like you are playing a guitar. Loved Frequency, Amplitude and Karaoke Revolution. Harmonix rocks!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.