Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Weather Man 23/10/2005

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-05, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was a good comedy/drama. It is kind of like Lord of War and Adaptation.

Did anyone see it? I don't really have much to discuss, except most funny moments except the ones with a lot of profanity, were shown in the previews.
Old 10-28-05, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was pretty dissapointed for reasons I can't quite pin down. Cain and Cage's characters seemed pretty interesting, but the plot seemed to lack much focus. The first clothes-shopping trip got a big reaction though.
Old 10-29-05, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's true, this film is unfocused and hazy. Nicolas Cage at times has fits of man-child disease, both in speech and actions/reactions, and then he has other periods as he has avoided the responsibilities of adulthood/parenthood. There are some funny bits, but they just don't provide any footing into this meandering life of an up-and-coming weatherman with an ex-wife and 2 kids that he barely "knows". Toss in the weatherman's father (an under-utilized Michael Caine) subplot, the film just never really gels enough to make a compelling case for its underlying theme, which is to turn the weather into a metaphor for the trappings of adulthood. Like the weather, you never know how it's going to go, most of the weather forecasting being a guess on the wayward currents of the winds, but if you think it's going to rain, then it's best to bring an umbrella, otherwise being unprepared can lead to a wet and soaking mess to deal with when it could have all been avoided. Adulthood, like the weather, can't all be controlled, but there are things that can be done to minimize the unpredictability. The sooner you learn that lesson, the easier it becomes to cope with life's rainstorms.

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.
Old 10-30-05, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Patman
It's true, this film is unfocused and hazy. Nicolas Cage at times has fits of man-child disease, both in speech and actions/reactions, and then he has other periods as he has avoided the responsibilities of adulthood/parenthood. There are some funny bits, but they just don't provide any footing into this meandering life of an up-and-coming weatherman with an ex-wife and 2 kids that he barely "knows". Toss in the weatherman's father (an under-utilized Michael Caine) subplot, the film just never really gels enough to make a compelling case for its underlying theme, which is to turn the weather into a metaphor for the trappings of adulthood. Like the weather, you never know how it's going to go, most of the weather forecasting being a guess on the wayward currents of the winds, but if you think it's going to rain, then it's best to bring an umbrella, otherwise being unprepared can lead to a wet and soaking mess to deal with when it could have all been avoided. Adulthood, like the weather, can't all be controlled, but there are things that can be done to minimize the unpredictability. The sooner you learn that lesson, the easier it becomes to cope with life's rainstorms.

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.

No, that's not the underlying theme at all, but if it was, it would make a crummy movie.

The theme of the randomness of the weather is just there to underscore the fact that the one thing he does well, and that he hopes will redeem him isn't really anything of substance.

Spoiler:

The fact that his personal life is such a mess has to stand in contrast with his success as a weatherman. But his contempt for his own professional success gives the film an extra layer of complexity, and essentially mirrors his own self disgust.

The key moment in the film is when he's in New York, and he's just learned that his kid was attacked by a molestor, and his father is going to die, and you see that weighing on him in the job interview, and then he gets in front of the green screen and it falls away.

I thought it was a very smart and very powerful film. There are a lot of movies that deal with a father who is professionally successful and neglects his family. Usually the character's arc over the story is to realize that the family is more important than the career.

This takes it in a different direction, with the character wanting to reconnect with his family and failing, and with him hating the career and discounting his success at it because of its poor comparison to his father's accomplishments.

I think this is one of the better films I've seen this year.
Old 10-30-05, 11:03 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by ScandalUMD

I think this is one of the better films I've seen this year.

Agreed.
Old 11-13-05, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is the best movie I've seen this year.
Old 11-13-05, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The scenes where he is pelted by fast food had me