Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Is Halloween anyone else's favorite TV time?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 10-27-05, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Out of all the holiday periods for TV, I really enjoy Halloween the most. It is easily my favorite. Thanksgiving is often to preach and Christmas too sappy. Halloween episodes are a time for any show whether they are a sitcom, drama, comedy, etc. to have a fun episode. Halloween rules.
Old 10-27-05, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
my wife specificially watches every show she can, even shows she doesn't normally watch and shows she hates, just so she can see the costumes. Its kind of sad actually.
Old 10-27-05, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love Halloween-time on television. Last year I had TiVo, so I was recording stuff like crazy since you could search for Halloween-themed shows. I don't have TiVo now, so I'm hurting.

While Roseanne as a series wasn't all that good in my opinion, I loved how they had a Halloween episode each year. I wish more series got into that.
Old 10-27-05, 01:00 PM

It is for me too. I always set a Halloween key word wish list in TiVo and make sure to catch all the Roseanne & Home Improvement halloween eps, The Great Pumpkin, The Haunted History of Halloween as well as various other shows they tend to show during the season. I'm going to do the same for Thanksgiving from now on too.
Old 10-27-05, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
I don't like holiday times for tv watching at all. All that means is reruns for all the shows I watch.
Old 10-27-05, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Another vote for the Roseanne Halloween episodes.

And the recent According To Jim, yeah I know the show is kinda lame, but Courtney Thorne Smith in a nurses uniform and her sister as Catwoman
Old 10-27-05, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Phil L.
And the recent According To Jim, yeah I know the show is kinda lame, but Courtney Thorne Smith in a nurses uniform and her sister as Catwoman
Very it was alst season's episode though. I wish they could have made a new one with a new slutty Dana costume.
Old 10-27-05, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Christmas is still my favorite, but Halloween's a close second. Mostly for all the movies that come on TV. Especially TCM showing classic horror movies. Last year I was unemployed at this time, so I stayed up all night watching them. This year, TCM is going with a Hitchcock theme week and, while those are great films, I'd rather see movies with vampires, werewolves, zombies, and such.
Old 10-27-05, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, where the hell are all the Universal Classic Monsters this year?
Old 10-27-05, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
For the classic movies, yes, I like Halloween. In terms of specials, I like Christmas.
Old 10-27-05, 08:43 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts
Christmas is the best for me.
Old 10-27-05, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like Halloween because channels that used to be good such as Discovery and TLC air paranormal themed shows instead of crappy home improvement drivel.
Old 10-27-05, 11:25 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
well yeah, with Showtimes Masters of Horror series starting tomorrow night...
Old 10-27-05, 11:36 PM

It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown > All
Old 10-28-05, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I hate it when a show forces some sort of Halloween show. For example, last year Alias had some show that was more or less a vampire show (that if aired during a normal season, would have fallen right near Halloween).

I'd rather there not be any holiday themed epsiodes since watching reruns, it seems lame to watch a Halloween or Christmas show in other times of the year other when the holidays are. Halloween shows are not interesting in May.

The only Halloween shows I like are the Simpsons one since for the most part, the segments aren't about Halloween, just weird stuff that wouldn't normally happen.
Old 10-28-05, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Silt
It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown > All
I saw this for the first time ever before according to Jim. And I really don't understand why anyone could like it. It is utter crap next to the Christmas Charlie Brown movie/show. And in the end I was totally pissed off when they didn't meet the Great Pumpkin.
Old 10-28-05, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel-A
I saw this for the first time ever before according to Jim. And I really don't understand why anyone could like it. It is utter crap next to the Christmas Charlie Brown movie/show. And in the end I was totally pissed off when they didn't meet the Great Pumpkin.

Umm. Okay. In 60 years the Great Pumpkin was never revealed. Why? There is no great pumpkin. It is nothing more than a little kid confusing two holidays. The ony appearance of TGP in the comic strips was Snoopy, which was how it was handled in the tv show.

I'll give you the Charlie Brown Christmas. Of all specials it would be a toss up between that and the Great Pumpkin.
Old 10-28-05, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I can relate to some of you after watching last night's Smallville. Utter trash. Took down the season -which imo has been pretty good all over- a few notches. Should be left out of the future DVD release.
Old 10-29-05, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Daniel-A

I hope you get rocks in your Trick or Treat bag!!
Old 10-29-05, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Silt
I hope you get rocks in your Trick or Treat bag!!
that was literally the one thing I laughed at in the show/episode/movie.
Old 10-29-05, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Another vote for the Roseanne Halloween eps,those were great
Old 10-29-05, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

yes, AMC, monster feast etc. Love when they play all the old monster and sci-fi, horror movies makes me feel like a kid
Old 10-30-07, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I bumped this because I didn't feel like starting a new thread, but...

Is it just me or does TV not seem very Halloween-y this year?

Maybe I'm not watching enough TV (Ha! yeah, right) or the right shows, but none of the shows that I do keep up with have had any Halloween-themed episodes. TCM has shown some horror movies, but I don't think as many as in previous years (I seem to have had the same gripe earlier in this thread). No new "100 Scariest Moments" special on Bravo - although they've pretty much covered all of their bases now - or the like on other channels.

At least there's still "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" and the post-Halloween "Treehouse of Horror" on "The Simpsons". And the return of "Dr. Gruesome's Movie Morgue" (which I recorded, but haven't watched yet; can't wait!).
Old 10-30-07, 03:15 PM
Cool New Member

last night's CSI: Miami tried to incorporate a potential vampire and werewolf into their storyline.....more cheese than normal.....guess Halloween just brings it out