Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Rolling Stones: Rarities 1971-2003 - 11/22/05

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-05, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051026/music_nm/stones_dc

Rolling Stones dig up rare songs for Starbucks CD
By Dean Goodman
Wed Oct 26, 1:09 AM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The Rolling Stones will release an album of rare tracks next month in partnership with coffee retailer Starbucks Corp. and the group's Virgin Records label, the partners said on Tuesday.

"Rarities 1971-2003" will be released simultaneously on November 22 in both Starbucks-owned outlets and in traditional music stores across the United States and Canada. Virgin, a unit of Britain's EMI Group Plc., will handle the foreign release by itself.

The nonexclusive deal differs from recent controversial arrangements Starbucks has had with other major artists. Pop singer Alanis Morissette allowed Starbucks to sell her latest album six weeks before everyone else, resulting in the HMV chain in her native Canada pulling her other albums off its racks in protest.

The Stones, currently on a tour of North America, suffered a similar fate from some retailers in 2003 when they gave electronics chain Best Buy Co. Inc. an exclusive sales window for a DVD package.

Starbucks, which is in the early stages of an ambitious plan to become the leading destination for music buyers, has enjoyed its biggest success with Ray Charles' Grammy-winning posthumous album "Genius Loves Company," which was a nonexclusive release.

The album has sold about 3.1 million copies in the U.S. with Starbucks accounting for about 730,000 copies, according to Charles' Concord Records label. Additionally, Starbucks sold 75,000 copies of a holiday package that included the CD.

The new Stones disc boasts 16 tracks, including live versions of concert staples like "Tumbling Dice" and "Beast of Burden," dance remixes of songs like "Miss You" and "Harlem Shuffle" and b-sides, such as their live 1971 cover of Chuck Berry's "Let It Rock." All have been previously released, but some are hard to find. The band has been wary of releasing old gems as it prefers to keep the focus on its new material.

"With every studio session, there are always songs that never appear on the final album and at the time you think, what a shame that song did not make it," Stones vocalist Mick Jagger was quoted as saying in a statement.

It will reach stores just 11 weeks after the Stones released their first studio album in eight years, "A Bigger Bang." Despite critical acclaim and heavy publicity surrounding the tour, the Virgin release has been a commercial disappointment, debuting at No. 3 on the U.S. pop charts, and sliding to No. 63 in its sixth week, with cumulative sales of 295,000 copies, according to tracking firm Nielsen SoundScan.

Starbucks was involved in the manufacturing, distribution and marketing of "Rarities," but Starbucks Entertainment president Ken Lombard declined to offer financial specifics.

"We felt this was an exciting project and a perfect fit for what we're trying to provide to our customers," he said in an interview.

Lombard said Starbucks has been working with the Stones' management since they partnered on a 2003 album in the chain's "Artist's Choice" series, where musicians choose their favorite songs and discuss their impact.
Old 10-26-05, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What they should put on here is Jagger's "Memo to Turner" from Performance, I'm not sure if that is on anything, but maybe it is. Great song though.
Old 10-26-05, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
1. Fancy Man Blues
2. Tumbling Dice (Live)
3. Wild Horses (Acoustic Version From Tokyo)
4. Beast Of Burden (Live)
5. Anyway You Look At
6. If I Was A Dancer (Part 2)
7. Miss You (Dance Version)
8. Wish I've Never Met You
9. I Just Wanna Make Love To You (Live)
10. Mixed Emotions (12'' Version)
11. Through The Lonley Nights
12. Live With Me (Live)
13. Let It Rock (Live)
14. Harlem Shuffle (Ny Mix)
15. Mannish Boy
16. Thru & Thru (Live)
Old 10-26-05, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jrsl76
What they should put on here is Jagger's "Memo to Turner" from Performance, I'm not sure if that is on anything, but maybe it is. Great song though.
It's on Metamorphosis. The other version is availble on the 3 Disc Singles Collection.
Old 10-26-05, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Geofferson
I have Metamorphosis (great compilation) and it's Memo From Turner. .
Whoops
Old 10-26-05, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reading the report had me anticipating this a bit until I saw cdollaz track listing.
Doesn't seem like a big deal.
Old 10-26-05, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
Reading the report had me anticipating this a bit until I saw cdollaz track listing.
Doesn't seem like a big deal.
Same here...but I do like the cover though.
Old 10-26-05, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Flashback
Same here...but I do like the cover though.
Yep. It is a cool cover.
Old 10-27-05, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You all just like that cover because its not pan & scan.