DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

About Tom and Jerry: Spotlight Collection - Volume 2 [merged w/ "About" thread]

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-05, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tom and Jerry Spotlight Collection: Vol. 2 -- Oct. 25th

From TVShowsOnDVD.com:

"Trends come and go-but the chase is eternal, just like the evergreen appeal of animaton's supreme cat-and- mouse team! This second Spotlight Collection of Tom and Jerry's cartoon capers boasts 40 restored and remastered shorts (including their screen debut Puss Gets the Boot, in which Tom was called Japser). This delicious assortment covers their golden years - including three Academy Award nominees* and six in their rarely seen widescreen CinemaScope - and includes spiffy, character-profiling Special Features. Get ready to duck, weave, jump and laugh and the hapless feline and the wily rodent take each other on.

Warner Brothers has announced details for the second "Spotlight Collection." This 2 disc set includes 40 shorts (remastered and restored), and some excellent bonus features that include:

* Audio Commentaries: Commentary on Saturday Evening Puss, Puss N' Boots, The Night Before Christmas, and Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Mouse by Madtv's Nicole Parker and Animation Historian Earl Kress.
* Animators as Actors: Actor's workshop of where the inspiration for character personalities come from.
* The Comedy Stylings of Tom And Jerry:Tom and Jerry have kept audiences laughing for years. Find out who Hanna-Barbera drew upon to create this great comedy duo.
* Tom and Jerry Introduction by Whoopi Goldberg
* 1941 Pencil Sketch: "Midnight Snack": A side by side comparison with the color episode and the black and white pencil sketch of this famous episode.

The set will be released on October 25, and will retail for $26.99. It'll include a Full Frame (1.33:1) transfer, and English/French/Spanish mono tracks, with matching subtitles."
Old 07-13-05, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
After all of the hoopla with the edited cartoons, I'll wait until I see the reviews before I purchase this set.

Don't get me wrong. I'm excited that WB is releasing another set but I was extremely disappointed with the way they handled the first release and the feeble explanation that was provided to the consumers in regards to them, 6 months after its release.
Old 07-13-05, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What LorenzoL said.
Old 07-13-05, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
same
Old 07-13-05, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Whoopi? Again? Why Lord Why?
Old 07-13-05, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Yeah, but it's so friggin' cheap (under $20 for 40 shorts), that I can live with a couple of little edits.
Old 07-13-05, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Considering Saturday Evening Puss is obviously included, since it mentions a commentary, I would guess it has the version I've seen on Boomerang: Mammy Two Shoes, modified voice. And no, I don't mean June Fornay - apparently they hired another black woman WITHOUT A SOUTHERN ACCENT to speak for Mammy Two Shoes.

Hey, its better than that white chick they once had.
Old 07-13-05, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Fool me once....
Old 07-13-05, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101
Yeah, but it's so friggin' cheap (under $20 for 40 shorts), that I can live with a couple of little edits.
I see your point (and respect your position)... but I'm buying my DVDs to have high-quality editions of stuff I love. Not to get "cheap cartoons".

If I wanted that, I could make DVD-Rs of the TV broadcasts, or grab up the $.99 bargain animation discs that are at Wal-Mart.

I'd prefer to get a decent collection of original, uncut animation. Warner seems to be putting a ton of effort into these and including supplements to appeal to the collector/fan. To do all of that and include edited episodes is just silly. I'll save my $20 for something more worthy...
Old 07-13-05, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
I'd never buy something just becuase it's cheap - the actualy material contained in the product is what is most important. So of course I'd spend more to get a top-noch presentation similar to the Looney Tunes sets, but still, even with edits, these are a far cry from the bargain-bin animation discs you're comparing them too.
Old 07-13-05, 08:13 PM

Actually the Wal-mart bargain disc are good because they keep the blackface jokes in the shorts intact. I've found plenty of rare classic gems in the Wal-mart $1 DVD section

Last edited by Onizuka; 07-13-05 at 10:15 PM.
Old 07-13-05, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
Don't get me wrong. I'm excited that WB is releasing another set but I was extremely disappointed with the way they handled the first release and the feeble explanation that was provided to the consumers in regards to them, 6 months after its release.
Speaking of which, what was the final resolution of all that? It was my understanding the edited versions of the cartoons were used by accident, and the effected disc would be corrected.
Old 07-13-05, 11:35 PM

Warner backed out and said that they never promised uncut cartoons, and no replacement disc is forthcoming.
Old 07-14-05, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Well, that sucks.
Old 08-01-05, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://forums.goldenagecartoons.com/...ead.php?t=3798

The following 40 cartoons are the ones selected for the second Tom & Jerry Spotlight Collection. It is possible that these contents are subject to change, but I can confirm the following: Whoopi Goldberg's presence on this DVD set IS to put the Mammy-Two-Shoes shorts in proper context.

Disc #1 - 1940s

1. Puss Gets the Boot
2. The Midnight Snack
3. The Night Before Christmas
4. Fraidy Cat
5. Dog Trouble
6. Puss N' Toots
7. The Bowling Alley-Cat
8. Fine Feathered Friend
9. The Lonesome Mouse
10. Puttin' on the Dog
11. The Mouse Comes to Dinner
12. Mouse in Manhattan
13. Springtime for Thomas
14. Trap Happy
15. Part Time Pal
16. Professor Tom
17. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Mouse
18. Old Rockin' Chair Tom
19. Cat and the Mermouse
20. Polka-Dot Puss

Disc #2 - 1950s

1. Saturday Evening Puss
2. Little Quacker
3. Texas Tom (was on last year's set...)
4. Safety Second
5. Sleepy Time Tom
6. Cruise Cat
7. Nit-Witty Kitty
8. Triplet Trouble
9. Push-Button Kitty
10. The Missing Mouse
11. Jerry & Jumbo
12. Just Ducky
13. Little School Mouse
14. Pet Peeve
15. Southbound Duckling
16. Tom & Cherie - widescreen
17. Muscle Beach Tom - widescreen
18. Down Beat Bear - widescreen
19. Mucho Mouse - widescreen
20. Tot Watchers - widescreen
Old 08-01-05, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Whoopi Goldberg is on the DVD?? That alone is a reason not to get it.

The best way to find Tom and Jerry is through alternate means. Sad but true. Just see the first release.
Old 08-01-05, 08:41 AM
Banned

Whoopi Goldberg on the Looney and Tom and Jerry sets? What is the world coming to? I will still be picking it up anyway, how many seasons of Tom and Jerry are there?
Old 08-01-05, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Drool. Those five widescreen shorts are the reason to pick this up! Well, that and the fact that the rest are just classics.
Old 08-01-05, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by DVDFreaker
Whoopi Goldberg on the Looney and Tom and Jerry sets? What is the world coming to? I will still be picking it up anyway, how many seasons of Tom and Jerry are there?
If it means getting uncensored "banned" cartoons on both sets, then I'm all for it. It's easy enough to skip any features you don't want to see, which I'm more than willing to do if it means the inclusion of things I really do want to see, and that I wouldn't get otherwise.
Old 08-01-05, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by kingtopher
If it means getting uncensored "banned" cartoons on both sets, then I'm all for it. It's easy enough to skip any features you don't want to see, which I'm more than willing to do if it means the inclusion of things I really do want to see, and that I wouldn't get otherwise.
Amen. This is similar to the Leonard Maltin/Disney Treasure thing. If this is what the studios have to do so they "feel comfortable" about released these 'toons, they have at it. While I admit that I don't understand why they chose Whoopi [Maltin, being a critic and Disney buff, makes sense], I could care less unless they CGI into the cartoon itself.

Oh wait, if they released 'em "censored", that'd be one more thing that we can complain about here.
Old 08-02-05, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I missed out on the Disney Treasures releases. So I never saw for myself these 'putting them in historical context special messages to appease the anal retentive PC police' introductions.

While stupid,I do agree,if it means getting 'banned' 'unPC' 'offensive' cartoons/material. Then so be it!

I never saw anything 'controversial' and 'offensive' regarding Mammy. She was a cool charecter in my opinion and one of my favorites. + It's not like there were 'no black maids back then' as the PC police want us to believe as they white wash history. Also it's not like the lady who did the voice was 'stereotyping' black women,since her voice was really like that..and she was black! If anything her charecter was a powerful authority figure that punished Tom once she caught him getting out of line.

So I don't think any 'special messages' about her are needed. Now black face and other racial jokes. Maybe..but even then,most people with an ounce of common sense. Would know times were 'different' back then.
Old 08-02-05, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The "THOOOOOOOOOOMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS" scream practically DEFINED Tom and Jerry! It is heart breaking that kids today can't watch Tom and Jerry like I did when I was little.
Old 10-16-05, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Class316
Whoopi Goldberg is on the DVD?? That alone is a reason not to get it.
Get over it.
Originally Posted by DVDFreaker
how many seasons of Tom and Jerry are there?
Tom and Jerry don't have "seasons," because they weren't a TV show.
Old 10-17-05, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

how many seasons of Tom and Jerry are there?
Tom and Jerry don't have "seasons," because they weren't a TV show.
This is one of my major pet peeves. I hate it when people refer to classic theatrical shorts as episodes.
Old 10-17-05, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I love the episode where...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.