Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Help with my Mits HDTV

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Help with my Mits HDTV

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-05, 11:11 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with my Mits HDTV

I have a WT-46807 Mitsubishi HDTV, I have never had any problems with the set over the 4yrs I have owned it. Recently I have noticed when I turn the set on the convergence will get all screwy and the screen will look oval shaped. After 30secs it goes back to normal. So what is going on here guys, is this something I can fix or am I dead in the water. btw only happens when I first turn the set on.

Thanks for your feedback.
Old 10-25-05, 05:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes you can fix it yourself if you're handy with a soldering iron. Head on over to the HomeTheaterSpot.com and sign up for a paid membership. This will gain you access to the Tweaks Area forums where there are detailed instructions to fix it. What is happening is that the IC chips that control your convergence have lost or are losing their connection to the circuit board. As the TV heats up or a sharp tap to the cabinet does it also then the connection is made again. You need to resolder the connection for the IC chips to fix it. If you wait too long the chips can fail completely and will need to be replaced or you can replace them and solder the news ones in to play it safe.
Old 10-25-05, 09:57 AM
Mok

Thanks for your feedback, I am not to good with a soldering iron I guess I will have to call a repairman to fix the problem. Do you know how much he may charge me ?

thanks.
Old 10-25-05, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The same thing happened to my Mits.....I had a warranty on it, so it was fixed free. But yeah, that's the problem.
Old 10-25-05, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mok
Thanks for your feedback, I am not to good with a soldering iron I guess I will have to call a repairman to fix the problem. Do you know how much he may charge me ?

thanks.
Do you know any friends that could help you out that know how to solder? Hiring a tech could cost anywhere from $200 to $400 to fix it. Becoming a paid SPot member and a case or beer for your friend will be much cheaper IMO. If you hire a tech they should be able to fix it in your house so don't hire somebody that wants to take the TV into the shop. You never know when you'll get it back and in what condition it will be in after they "fix" it.
Old 10-25-05, 05:11 PM
Mok

Originally Posted by chipmac
Do you know any friends that could help you out that know how to solder? Hiring a tech could cost anywhere from $200 to $400 to fix it. Becoming a paid SPot member and a case or beer for your friend will be much cheaper IMO. If you hire a tech they should be able to fix it in your house so don't hire somebody that wants to take the TV into the shop. You never know when you'll get it back and in what condition it will be in after they "fix" it.
Unfortunately I have no friends that can help me. That is a pretty high price for the work being done, I may just junk the set and buy a new one, for now I will just leave the set on till I can get the money together to buy a new one it seems to help. Thank everyone for your help.

Last edited by Mok; 10-25-05 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10-26-05, 02:05 AM

Hi Mok,

chipmac's advice is spot on. Apparently mits tv's from that year or so, all suffer from that particular affliction.

It seems you are kind of stuck now, but i would say to give mits a call. I remember from reading on the hometheaterspot, that sometimes they are generous is assisting users with such issues on out of warranty sets.

Hope this helps!.
Old 10-26-05, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good point. It wouldn't hurt to call Mits and see if they'll fix it for free or a discount at the least. It is a known issue but not just with Mits. I've read owners of Toshiba, Panny, Sony, Hitachi all say they've run across this problem but it does seem more prevalent with Mits.
Old 10-26-05, 09:39 AM
Mok

thanks guys I will give them a call.