Search this Thread

Old 10-24-05, 02:01 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Surface - "Episode 6" - 10/24

"Episode 6"
Spoiler:
Cirko discerns the origin of the creatures while studying a sea orchid; when Laura returns home, she finds that her house has been ransacked by the government
Old 10-24-05, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Nim got revenge
Old 10-24-05, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very good episode. NBCE screwed up the HD feed during the last 5 minutes, broadcasting in HD (at least on DirecTV). Very irritating.
Old 10-24-05, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
No kidding, don't be messing with Nim by using an electrical prod, that's just asking for it. I was surprised they offed the Russian scientist, but once he had announced he knew what was going, he was a goner, for sure. This was one of the weaker episodes of the series, but I still look forward to future episodes.
Old 10-24-05, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sci-Fi sucks ass. Why show the first x episodes when you have no plans to show the rest? Now that I've missed 2 eps, it looks like I will have to wait for the dvd.
Old 10-24-05, 10:38 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

I agree the this one one of the weaker episodes. I kept checking the clock about 20 minutes in.
Old 10-25-05, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Can someone tell me what happened before the 1st commercial break. I got into MNF and forgot.
Old 10-25-05, 06:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Quake1028
Sci-Fi sucks ass. Why show the first x episodes when you have no plans to show the rest? Now that I've missed 2 eps, it looks like I will have to wait for the dvd.
Ok, 'Sci-Fi sucks ass', then you lost me. 'No plans to show the rest'? Did Surface get cancelled?
Old 10-25-05, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsGreekToMe
Ok, 'Sci-Fi sucks ass', then you lost me. 'No plans to show the rest'? Did Surface get cancelled?
I think he was talking about the episode repeats on the Sci-Fi Channel. That's how I watched the first 4 episodes of the show, but it looks like they stopped running the repeats.
Old 10-25-05, 07:24 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Daniel-A
Can someone tell me what happened before the 1st commercial break. I got into MNF and forgot.
Cirko figures out where they come from by looking at the sea orchid. That'sthe thing that was in the metal canister that they took from his storage garage. He meets the Asian dude who tells him he's sending him to DC to meet with the higher ups. As Cirko goes to leave he gets hit by a car
Old 10-25-05, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
I'm looking forward to the show getting Nim and Miles out of the house and on the run - I'm a little tired of the "wacky" shenanigans with that subplot.

I was kind of surprised with
Spoiler:
Cirko's death

I'll keep watching........
Old 10-25-05, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
I thought it was kind of lame that the episode was advertised as "Cirko discovers the origin of the new species" -- only to have him never tell anyone (including the audience). I knew that bait-and-switch is classic advertising, but its still annoying. A bad side effect of "Lost"'s success -- many of these new shows think they can get away with slow-as-molasses plot advancement too. Like "Invasion", this is feeling like a mini-series streeeetched out really far.

BTW, I know no one cares about scientific accuracy, but as someone currently teaching undergraduate Cell Biology I'm going to rave anyway . I doubt the Pate brothers could pass my course (and I also doubt they used any money on a technical advisor). For example, there was a scene in yesterday's ep where the scientists are amazing at the creatures genetic sequence. Something like, "My god, look at that! It's a repeated sequence of adenine, glycine, and karotine!" as the screen has a pretty double-helix picture next to AGKAGKAGKAGKAGKAGK on the screen. That would be pretty amazing -- especially since adenine is the only one found in genetic sequences (with the other terms being things they must have vaguely heard about but had no idea what they were -- being an amino acid and a protein for those that care). Sorry for the rant -- just had to get that out of my system But really, that's like high school level biology. At least Star Trek techno-babble completely makes up stuff to cover their tracks.
Old 10-25-05, 09:24 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I don't remember seeing the sea orchid before. Did they introduce it earlier in the series and I missed it? Or was this the first time they showed it? Seems like a big plot point to just come out of nowhere... one of the weaknesses of this show's writing I guess.
Old 10-25-05, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by THX7966
I don't remember seeing the sea orchid before. Did they introduce it earlier in the series and I missed it? Or was this the first time they showed it? Seems like a big plot point to just come out of nowhere... one of the weaknesses of this show's writing I guess.
I didn't see it before either. Also, am I following things correctly -- there's not supposed to be anything special about THIS sea orchid, right? Just that somehow looking at the sea orchid's response to light triggered the light bulb in Cirko's head about the origin of the species? Although if that's the case, why run around with this sea orchid, passing notes and keys -- instead of just writing down his idea about the origin and be done with it. Of course, that was you can't have an exciting chase scene. Or maybe I'm just not following this properly. Anyway THX7966, you are not alone in your question.
Old 10-25-05, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Once again, Miles' mom continues to be the hottest thing goin on this show. She looked great in this episode walking around the kitchen in her cleavage top and tight jeans.

So is the animal control guy actually dead? That would not turn out well for Miles and Phil.

Also don't understand the significance or importance of that particular sea orchid. And I could not believe all those security guys could not catch a guy running slowly with an aquarium. Worst slow speed chase scene ever.

And what was supposed to be the significance of the door to the storage garage not opening all the way?
And are we to believe that the scientist guy, although mortally wounded, managed to drive to the storage facility (not checking in at the gate presumably) get the door part way open, crawl inside with the stuff, get the door closed, get back in his car and somehow find miss marine biologist's house and then croak right as he drives up crashing into the place??
Old 10-25-05, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil L.
Once again, Miles' mom continues to be the hottest thing goin on this show. She looked great in this episode walking around the kitchen in her cleavage top and tight jeans.
But no sister in a bikini.

And what was supposed to be the significance of the door to the storage garage not opening all the way?
Seemed more like a plot device to accent the paranoia that they had. "I'm an oceanographer. I read a lot of spy novels at sea."

Seemed like filler episode. I'm still wondering.. Miles took just one egg from the dozens of eggs around. What happened to those? Did they hatch? Did the agency pick them up? Did any predators happen to eat them?

And I'm waiting for the day Nimrod grows super huge overnight (which is what I expected with this episode from all the Nimmy hijinks.)
Old 10-25-05, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
So is the animal control guy actually dead? That would not turn out well for Miles and Phil.
or for Skynet, although I suppose it doesn't matter which general is in charge of that program as the programmers and techs are more important
or for the Navy's JAG headquarters in DC
Old 10-26-05, 06:09 AM
Banned

Kind of reminded me of this ---

Old 10-26-05, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by devilshalo
And I'm waiting for the day Nimrod grows super huge overnight (which is what I expected with this episode from all the Nimmy hijinks.)
I was expecting the salt to trigger exactly that. Nim hasn't grown for weeks.
Old 10-26-05, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Another thing that does continue to bother me more each episode is besides the overdone Spielbergesque aspects which we have all previously discussed, I feel the show has lost some of it's (for lack of a better word) creepyness. That's kind of what initially drew me in.
Now, I feel you could pretty much animate the entire cast and this could be a new Disney cartoon movie.