Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Cannibal Holocaust'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-05, 01:31 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 920 Likes on 776 Posts

I read John Wallis's DVD review of Cannibal Holocaust at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=18351 and...what an awesome review!!! I, and I know many have waited for this release and pre-ordered many moons ago. Way to give the highest John, I love a DVD with the "Collector's Series" rating. Makes the wait that much sweeter.

Just goes to show that a DVD with it's movie and content (as grim as it may be) gets the consideration it deserves. Even though I haven't see the film yet, from what I have heard and experienced in this genre of film, "Cannibal Holocaust" did for Cannibalism movies what "Star Wars" did for Sci-Fi/Fantasy epics.

Can't wait to get!!!

Last edited by OldBoy; 10-23-05 at 01:41 PM.
Old 10-23-05, 01:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not a big fan of the film, but I definitely appreciate the way John gave it a more-than-fair shake. It's tough to review such a legendarily reviled flick, but he did an excellent job of it.
Old 10-23-05, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't wait to see this one...
Old 10-23-05, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"I'd no sooner totally damn Cannibal Holocaust than I would Birth of a Nation."

I wasn't aware that DW or even Mapplethorpe killed living creatures for the entertainment of people who enjoy viewing that kind of thing.
Old 10-24-05, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by epiphane
"I'd no sooner totally damn Cannibal Holocaust than I would Birth of a Nation."

I wasn't aware that DW or even Mapplethorpe killed living creatures for the entertainment of people who enjoy viewing that kind of thing.
That's pretty much my attitude too... I appreciated the review -- very well-done for such a tough film to tackle. But, for me, this movie crosses the line into snuff film territory. I stay away.
Old 10-24-05, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
One technical nit-pick: There's no such thing as an "interlaced" or "progressive" transfer. All DVDs are interlaced. Progressive scan is a function of the DVD player or display, not the disc.
Old 10-24-05, 11:38 PM
Suspended

Does anyone know what the deal is with the infamous piranha bait scene? I've read about 4 reviews from this DVD now and no one mentions this scene whether it's included or if it even exists. Surely there must be something in the featurettes about it?
Old 10-28-05, 06:05 PM

Hey John,
I was just wondering if your copy of CH had the infamous 2nd disc floater as many are now discovering in their sets? Perhaps you don't get the same retail sets as the rest of us, but just curious. And, if so, was there any problems with it?
Thanks.
Old 10-30-05, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I assume by second disc floater, you mean a loose disc in the packaging. To speed up the process, we often get the discs sent to us first, then the packaging, so I don't know if it was loose or not. I can say the disc wasnt scratched and (just checked it) hasn't come loose in the box. Seems pretty sturdy, but I havent put it through any stress.

As for my Birth of a Nation and Mapplethorpe comparison comments, I was just using them as examples of similar works people could find distasteful (for whatever their personal reasons may be). My original draft of the review was two times longer- there is that much room (even more) for argument. But, I edited it down. Since the site is pretty review heavy, I try to keep reviews pretty succinct because it makes it easier on casual readers just surfing around.
Old 10-31-05, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good review...

scott1598 - You've probably figured this out by now but it's not the second disc that is the major floater problem, it's the first disc - the feature film.
Old 11-01-05, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Johnny Zhivago
Good review...

scott1598 - You've probably figured this out by now but it's not the second disc that is the major floater problem, it's the first disc - the feature film.
really? my floater was the 2nd disc...weird.
Old 11-01-05, 03:24 PM

[QUOTE=Slumbering Fist]>>SNIP>SNIP
Old 11-10-05, 06:11 PM

I watched this last night for the first time, and i thought it was BRILLANT. Did it have some unnecessary violence?....probably. The last 10 minutes of the movie is some of the best stuff ever caught on film.
Old 11-13-05, 09:14 PM
Cool New Member

I've seen this movie hyped up all over the internet as being crazy and scary, and I saw some of the cover art for the Laser Disc version, so I thought it was going to be a great 80s horror film like 'The Fly' or 'Jacobs Ladder.'

This movie is not scary at all, just disgusting. I figured this would be like a traditional horror movie where the 4 companions have to outrun the cannibals kind of like in "Wrong Turn," but instead it's a movie with a "message," saying the primitive people aren't as savage as the so-called civilized.

But still, for a movie being in a jungle with cannibals it could have been scarier. 'Predator,' had some good moments where the director or the screen writers took advantage of the jungle atmosphere to enhance the sense of isolation and fear, but this movie tried too hard to show gore in my opinion. The animal killings in the movie were probably used to make people believe the whole thing was a REAL documentary but it's obvious that it's a regular movie, so I thought that was messed up on the directors part.

I think it could have been better if it was done in a regular move style.
Old 11-14-05, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Ummm I don't think this film was ever meant to be 'scary' as in jump out of your seat,scared of the dark type of reaction.

People seem to associate all horror films with must being 'scary' in that aspect. When ask yourself. How many horror films,especially modern horror films actually scare you? Sure some may,but the majority do not I am sure....unless your extremely sensitive of course.

This film is meant to be disturbing,not scary,disturbing and unpleasent...but not jump out of your seat scary.

And in that respect,the film works brilliantly as Chaz said. The film is well directed and edited together for maximum impact. It should leave viewers disturbed and revolted at the very least...but not scared and frightened of the dark.