Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

SNL 10/22/05 - (H) Catherine Zeta Jones (M) Franz Ferdinand

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-05, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
SNL 10/22/05 - (H) Catherine Zeta Jones (M) Franz Ferdinand

Mediocre show tonight. I was on the fence until I realized that I never really laughed throughout the episode. That kind of defeats the purpose of a comedy show, so

Fox News
In response to charges that Bush’s dialogue with American soldiers was scripted, he interviews some soldiers with “spontaneous” questions. Best part was Finesse losing his cool and going off the president’s script, only to be replaced instantly by Kenan.

Monologue
Why do they insist on singing all the damn time? CZJ sings a Chicago-style tune about how no matter how bad the show is, they can’t take away her Oscar.

Butt Cancer Clinic
Recorded ad parody about a clinic to treat “cancer of the dumper”. Just an excuse to use phrases like “diddle your pooper” and “finger up the fartbox”.

Newsnight w/ Aaron Brown
Hammond as Brown. CZJ as a reporter in Pashwan Afghanistan, reporting on the lack of supplies and getting more and more haggard every day. I’m not sure what the joke was in this one.

Jazz party
CZJ as a dancer taking her boyfriend Myers to a party where all the guests are jazz dancers. Kind of funny watching everyone slinking around like Bob Fosse and every movement ends in jazz hands.

Weekend Update
Couple of good jokes, like how Hurricane Wilma reached a category 5, or as FEMA calls it, “casual Friday”. Sudekis on as a football coach from a Florida high school that cancelled their football season because they lost six games while scoring no points and allowing almost 300. Not much there. Armisen on as Pep Walters, a blind prop comic. Pretty funny, especially when he wandered back into the camera shot. An obit shot for Charles Rocket at the end.

Italian hotel
Myers, Thompson, and Poehler as three Americans coming into a small Italian hotel. The staff peppers them with outdated pop culture references and makes fun of them. Not good.

Access Hollywood
Myers as Billy Bush interviewing Pohler as Sharon Stone. She wrote a song for the hurricane victims. Singing were Joss Stone (CZJ), Aretha (Thompson), Nick Carter (Sudekis), and Michael McDonald (Sanz). Not much.

Teachers’ Lounge
Poehler & Dratch as two high school teachers complaining that the new hot French teacher, CZJ, is getting all the attention. Not bad, and she is hot.

Wedding
CZJ marrying Forte and singing their vows. It turns ugly when they start to sing about how they love to spank each other. Did I mention that CZJ is really hot?

Morgan Stanley
Recorded ad parody about the Morgan Stanley rep yelling at his client’s daughter for messing up in school. Repeat.

Movie Producer
Dratch as horny old producer, Abe Scheinwald, trying to get his hot Mexican cutie into a movie about Emily Dickinson. This character is funny enough for a regular spot, but only in the last half hour.

Next week:
Spoiler:
Lance Armstrong and Sheryl Crow. An athlete as host usually dies.
Old 10-23-05, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Horribly unfunny show. Was never tempted to chuckle, not once. This was like a crappy variety show. It was awful.
Old 10-23-05, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Even Franz Ferdinand sucked.

For the first time in my life, the best thing about an SNL episode was the photographs of the host they show going in and out of comercials.

But you know what, every thime I look at CZJ, I think

"She's fucking a 60 year old"
Old 10-23-05, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The two laughs for me were both Kenan. When he appeared in the military sketch and as Aretha.
Old 10-23-05, 01:45 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

This has to be the worst cast since the Jean Doumanian year if not THE worst. And that Bush impersonation is just awful. Put this show out of its misery.
Old 10-23-05, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One word...sucked.
Old 10-23-05, 04:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Oh man. i LOOOOVE Cathy Z but I just couldn't get into tonite's show. I ended up changing it.
Old 10-23-05, 05:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked Franz Ferdinand. Love their new CD.

Everything else was horrible. The butt cancer commercial was possibly the worst thing that I have ever seen on SNL.
Old 10-23-05, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ive been watching SNL since around the mid 80's and theres been some downtimes during those years but this is the worst its been.
Old 10-23-05, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well, the best thing I can say about this week, is that the HDTV looked great! But it is scary the closeups of Horatio....*shudder*
Old 10-23-05, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I passed out trying to watch this show in HD. I totally missed 2 skits before waking up during the silly vows.
Old 10-23-05, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
watched until midnight. got tired, taped the rest and went to bed
not sure I want to bother watching the last hour
Old 10-23-05, 10:17 AM

Wretched was the only way to describe it. Did the Daily Show and the Colbert Report hire all of the good writers?
Old 10-23-05, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
The only sketch that I was amused by it was the Teachers Lounge one.

However, CZJ is hot.
Old 10-23-05, 10:39 AM

Which Douglas is she sleeping with again?!! The old guy?! Hmmm

Old 10-23-05, 10:40 AM

Was Dratch eating in every skit she was in?

D
Old 10-23-05, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Derrich
Was Dratch eating in every skit she was in?

D
Every single one I think except the Army one.
Old 10-23-05, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

little too much singing all the time or at least singer/dancer theme for this ep.. Not that I mind a little here for there for a skit if it's funny but they crutched up on it way too much IMO.. Dance in the opening then a skit about being a dancer etc etc.. meh..

Just a really unfunny ep this time.. yeah yeah I know many bash the show as being unfunny, always.. sep I tend to at least smile here or there as a I watch it.. This time it seemed like almost everything just fell flat.. oh well....

I did like the end of the french skit with Horatio only sort of saying hi to his wife, as he left.. and of course line of "...even the pope wants to hit that" on update..
Old 10-23-05, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Overall, just NOT a good episode. only had a few funny skits for me.

The opening was good. Got some laughs, especially when they switched out finesse and Kenan.

The monlogue was HORRIBLE. if you insist on singing, at least make it funny (like steve martin's "Not gonna phone it in tonight" song)

The only other funny skit for me was the dancer sketch. it was just so absurd, it was funny.

2 skits had promise, but fizzled big time. The Italian Hotel one started out good, but went absolutely nowhere. I normally like the Movie Producer sketch, but i like it because of the "Double D's, Double These!" line, and when they talk about the movies they passed on. Neither were in this one.

Aside from the brief laugh i got when kenan came in as aretha franklin, and sanz came on as mcdonald, the sharon stone skit was abysmal, as was the Reporter one. Oh, so she gets ugly? ha ha. not funny.

that first franz ferdinand song was pretty bad... at least they played "take me out" to make up for it.
Old 10-23-05, 12:43 PM

Do the writers know how to end their skits anymore? I swear every sketch went to commercial because they either ran out of material and/or their time was up. Isn't the rule of sketch comedy to end on a high note? Every single sketch just limped to a close. This episode reminded me why I don't watch SNL anymore. It sucked.

CZJ was hot, though.
Old 10-23-05, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
watched it
sucked balls
Old 10-23-05, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Patman
I passed out trying to watch this show in HD.
I did the same thing, but I passed out right after FF played. I woke up and Showtime at the Apollo was on and at first I was like WTF?

What I did see was dreadful. I *could not* believe they opened with yet another awful GWB sketch. This show should be shot.
Old 10-23-05, 01:14 PM
Banned

I'm very tolerable of SNL but this season is not starting off well. The writing staff seems to be unchanged so the only difference would be that head writer Tina Fey was out for a bit with her pregnancy. Hopefully now that she is back it will get better. This was a terrible show. Does anyone know how Charles Rocket passed?
Old 10-23-05, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cracksky
Does anyone know how Charles Rocket passed?
He slit his throat.
Old 10-23-05, 01:28 PM

Received 804 Likes on 523 Posts
Laughed at the Fosse thing and that was about it.

from me too.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.