Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The OAO Saw II reviews and discussion thread!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-05, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I searched the board, and I found a thread about the Saw II website, and one asking if the movie would be "teh suck", so I guess this one is needed. I was trying to find a thread to comment on the Hollywood Reporter review. Like most reviews, it may contain small spoilers to be careful:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr..._id=1001349216

It actually sounds pretty positive, but this is what got me from the review:

Spoiler:
"The first victim, bloodily disposed of even before the opening credits roll, tries unsuccessfully to gouge out his own eye in order to retrieve a key that has been surgically implanted."

Anything having to do with the eyes really makes my skin crawl, so I'm sure this scene is going to kick my ass. I can't wait for it!

I loved the first movie, and I'd be willing to bet I'm going to love the second.

Here is another review from Variety:

http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117...goryid=31&cs=1

I bought the new Saw DVD at Best Buy tonight (free ticket to see Saw 2), and I'm sitting here with the movie on in the background, and I still think it's a fine horror flick.

Also, since when I first saw Saw I hadn't watched The Shield, seeing Benito Martinez (David Aceveda) shocked me, pretty cool.

Last edited by BrentLumkin; 10-23-05 at 12:00 AM.
Old 10-23-05, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
IMO this looks and sounds like it will be absolute dreck. A bunch of bad actors trapped in a room getting snuffed out one at a time.

I was mildy impressed with SEV......er, I mean SAW, budgetary constraints and all.

I have the same aversion that you mentioned in the spoiler. Good luck and have fun!
Old 10-23-05, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
At the very least, I am hoping it will be a Final Destination 2 fun fest. Where they gleefully have fun offing as many people as possible in grisly ways without taking itself too seriously.

Of course reading the description of the opening sequence and the comments by the director in Fangoria. This sounds like it may be more on the painfully unpleasent grisly side. So it may be fun,but in a more ewwww sense if done right and that's a good thing!

I have the uncut Saw dvd with free ticket. So either way,at least I'm not paying to see the sequel. Since as you know,there is a huge chance of it sucking big time!
Old 10-24-05, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hoping as a sequel atleast it will be good. Free ticket too.
Old 10-25-05, 06:24 PM

I predict it will open huge...40M+ OW.
Old 10-25-05, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I watched Saw within the past year and I was blown away. I loved that movie. I'm definitely going to see Saw II though I don't have very high expectations for it. Hopefully it'll still be in theaters Thanksgiving weekend because that's when I'm planning on seeing it.
Old 10-27-05, 06:43 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 940 Likes on 788 Posts
Anyone see this yet? I think i will go tomorrow, but I would like to hear from "viewers like me"...
Old 10-27-05, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 195 Likes on 132 Posts
Here's Arrow's review:

http://joblo.com/arrow/reviews.php?id=1007
Old 10-27-05, 08:59 PM

There is a sneak midnight showing tonight at one theater. But I don't think I will go for two reasons.

1- I've been up since early this morning for college,so I'll be too tired to stay up 'too' late tonight.

2- I promised a friend of mine I'd see it with him on Saturday night after work.
Old 10-27-05, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
2- I promised a friend of mine I'd see it with him on Saturday night after work.
That reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Jerry went ahead to see a movie with George that Elaine wanted him to watch with her.
Old 10-27-05, 11:42 PM

Yeah,well I could go see it twice. But I really am tired tonight and not in the mood to drive all the way out there,view the film in a daze,then drive all the way home. So Saturday will work better for myself
Old 10-28-05, 04:34 AM
Cool New Member

Well i just got back from the midnight showing and This movie is pretty damn good.. way better then first one.. go see it now.. it rocks..! oh and before the movie they had a preview for Final Destination 3, what they running out of movie ideas..?

Spoiler:
"And there is gonna be a Saw III seeing how this one ended..!."
Old 10-28-05, 10:13 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

The RT verdicts...

"Not so much better than the first movie, just not nearly as bad thanks to a bigger budget, better writing."
-- Edward Douglas, COMINGSOON.NET

"While it’s far from perfect, this “bigger, faster, more” take on the now-familiar Jigsaw killer scenario improves on most of the mistakes of the original."
-- Brian Juergens, BLOODY DISGUSTING

"Way better than the rest of the slash-by-number horror films we’ve seen so far in 2005."
-- Jon Popick, PLANET SICK-BOY

"In the long run, Saw II is a better film than the original, but that's like saying being kicked in the groin is better than being punched in the face."
-- Brian Orndorf, EFILMCRITIC.COM

"This is entertainment?"
-- David Hiltbrand, PHILADELPHIA INQUIRER

"For the most part the film succeeds in producing a frightening Halloween weekend experience."
-- Kevin Crust, LOS ANGELES TIMES

"When you feel most sorry for Jigsaw when it's all over with, there's maybe something wrong."
-- Michael Szymanski, FILMSTEW.COM

"La conclusion est donc la męme que le film précédent : les amateurs de morbidité ne voudront pas manquer."
-- Nicolas Lacroix, ENPRIMEUR.CA
Old 10-28-05, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by scott shelton
The RT verdicts...

"La conclusion est donc la męme que le film précédent : les amateurs de morbidité ne voudront pas manquer."
-- Nicolas Lacroix, ENPRIMEUR.CA

wow...... if only i could understand this...
Old 10-28-05, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

From an online translator:

"the conclusion is thus the same one as preceding film: the amateurs of morbidity will not want to miss."
Old 10-28-05, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought it was pretty decent. Not sure if I like it more than the first though. Donnie Walbergh was surprisingly good, and all his scenes with Tobin Bell were awesome. I think the main things that detracted from the flick were
Spoiler:
1. When Xavier goes crazy and starts to kill people...what the hell!? He could easily have told them what his intentions were and they could have worked together...his I'm doing this on my own thing was bullshit....

2. Beverly Mitchell died of the poison!?!?!?! Come on, one of the main things I was looking forward to was watching "Lucy" get what she deserved after all these years of bitching around the Camden house...

3. I had a feeling that Amanda was in on the whole thing, so that twist didn't surprise me, however, the fact that it was all on Tape was excellent, and I LOVED how it brought it all back to THE ROOM... I for one am looking forward to another flick with Donnie stuck in that room...that could be decent.

So while I thought it was GOOD, it just wasn't quite GREAT. Also, it didn't seem to ME to be that gory. I could have hoped for a few more "cooler" deaths, but it should satisfy most Saw fans and will definitely do good this weekend.

MATT

oh, and by the way, with Morgan and Wong back at the helm, I'm actually LOOKING FORWARD to Final Destination 3.
Old 10-28-05, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I picked up the first one as a blind buy when it was released on DVD. It was cheap the first week, figured what the hell. Now quite frankly, I really wasn't that much of a fan of the first one, for one reason: the acting. It was atrocious. But the plot and ideas behind the movie... Well, it was fairly original and I really enjoyed it, but couldn't get past the acting.

So I went to see this sequel hoping it was what the first one should have been. Well... I'm kind of mixed. Half the problem is...

Spoiler:
The twist was ridiculously obvious if you saw the first one. I remembered that the one chick that survived made it clear that she was glad she went through the experience and that it had changed her for the better. So I knew that there was absolutely no logic for her being dumped in with the rest of the people, since Jigsaw had "fixed" her. Bottom line: The big twist was pretty obvious. That alone made the movie far less enjoyable. I also found her revelation of the hidden door to be poorly done. She obviously knew it was there, yet when her life was in jeopardy with the nutcase knocking down the door, she didn't jump out and say "Hey, look, a door!" Instead she waited until he was almost in the room...

One question for those that saw the film though. What was the deal with her cutting her wrists? Was she doing it because she liked the pain, was she trying to make the others think she had tried to kill herself or what? My gut tells me it was probably the latter, but the cuts were the wrong way. I think thanks to TV/Movies and whatnot highlighting this point, most people by now know vertical cuts = suicide, horizontal = idiot.

The plot was pretty bad, but I got the impression that Jigsaw might not have led Wahlberg into the trap if he hadn't started the whole torture thing... That Jigsaw was on the fence about whether he had changed or not, and waited for the violence to come out before he told Wahlberg where the house was... And speaking of that, the first movie sought to change people. I'm not sure if it's just a bad script or not, but it seemed like the entire purpose of having all those people in the house was to lure Wahlberg into the trap.

There was no logic or "life-changing" aspects to any of the traps. Wow, read numbers off the back of their necks! The furnace... Well, even if the guy had tried, I don't think he could have survived turning the valve off. The antidotes in the box that would take your hands off... It didn't seem to me it was possible to get the antidotes out... That the entire purpose of it was simply to either trap the victim there until they died. All of which seems to me to be the result of a godawful script.

As to the ending... Everyone seems to think it was setting up a sequel where he has to figure the way out. I got the impression that she was just getting revenge and leaving him to die. I know she said he was her first... I forget the exact wording she used, but she also said she wanted him to know what it felt like to be locked away. Given the hostility I would assume she has towards him, I somehow doubt she thinks/cares for him to "change" if he went through all the normal stuff the victims go through.

Bottom line, it's something to watch for Halloween weekend. That's about it. The acting was much improved over the first one, but the plot... Not so much. The plot was actually pretty bad. The first one, well, since the acting was so horrible, the only thing the movie had going for it was how it kept you on the edge of your seat as you tried to figure out the pretty innovative puzzle Jigsaw had designed along with the two guys.

Nothing was obvious, and I found the entire thing to be extremely creative. This one... It seemed like the writers thought the only reason people saw the first one was for gross scenes. And due to that, instead of writing a script that had the interesting puzzles that developed as the movie went on, ignored logic completely and just wrote the entire movie to get a maximum gross-out effect for viewers. The only thing the movie had going for it were the scenes between Jigsaw and Wahlberg. Like I said, good for Halloween weekend. But this one's script is almost as bad as the acting was in the first Saw.

Last edited by coladar; 10-29-05 at 12:14 AM.
Old 10-29-05, 12:56 AM
Li

Spoiler:
What I didn't get was why the one woman told all the others that she had "played before"? She wants them to believe she's in the same position as they are, so why say anything? I understand why she would need to from the audience’s perspective, but what's her motivation as a character? And why didn't they question her more about how she had survived? Or what she had to do to survive?
Old 10-29-05, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow, it made over 12 million on Friday.
Old 10-29-05, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep. Box Office Mojo predicted a $17 million weekend. They're gonna be way off.

As for the movie, I liked it alot. I think the first one is better as it felt suspenseful throughout the movie whereas this one relies more on "shock" moments. I thought part 2 was better paced, however. The cast does pretty well. I also agree that the parts between Bell and Wahlberg were good. I liked the ending as well. Will definitely pick this up when it's released on dvd.
Old 10-29-05, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,368 Likes on 930 Posts
Why hasn't Ebert reviewed this yet? Not that I care, or that it will prevent me from seing it, but I always like to read his reviews.
Old 10-29-05, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wondered that myself. It seems that if he skips a film, it's always from the horror genre. He reviewed the first one and gave it a 2 star review that had some positive comments in it.
Old 10-29-05, 07:17 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 940 Likes on 788 Posts
I liked how
Spoiler:
John's doctor who told him about the cancer was Cary Elwes' character Dr. Gordon...though it was predictable when he was talking and would have been nice for a little cameo for Elwes (i mean what's he got going on?) still a nice little nugget from the first which i am sure everyone got.

but overall, not as creepy or shocking as the first, but a good Halloween movie nonetheless.
Old 10-29-05, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Saw Saw II tonight. It was really good i thought. inventive kills and traps and a solid twist at the ending that i didn't see coming. I'd give it a solid "B" rating. hope we see a Saw III. complete the trilogy!!!

the theater was totally packed! i couldn't believe it when people just kept pouring in. I haven't been at a movie that crowded in a while.
Old 10-30-05, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Damn, this movie is going to make major bank. I was going to see it tonight but every showing from 8:00 on was already sold out.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.