Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-05, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang

I think it goes wide on November 10th. See it. No, really...go and see this fucking movie. Seriously.

-JP
Old 10-22-05, 08:28 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
No, really...go and see this fucking movie. Seriously.
Why? I doubt that I'd enjoy it.
Old 10-22-05, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm eagerly awaiting it. Have you seen it, OP?
Old 10-22-05, 09:44 AM
Retired

I'll probably catch it. Sounds good from what I've read about it.
Old 10-22-05, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by wendersfan
Why? I doubt that I'd enjoy it.
People like you are the very reason I made my post. I don't doubt that there are a lot of people out there thinking, "bah, just another buddy detective movie starring a couple of washed up actors...I won't like it." Trust me, if you have a sense of humor, any sense of humor at all, you'll like this movie. Everybody I talked to after the screening agreed that it's one of the best films they've seen this year. The whole movie is extremely self-aware, never tries to be more than it is, and ends up being the funniest anti-genre movie I've ever seen, and one of the funniest all-around movies I've seen in a long time. Give it a chance. If I'm wrong, you wasted $7 and a couple of hours of your life...sorry for the bad recommendation. However, I don't see how anybody can not enjoy this movie (extremely religious or content-sensitive people aside, since it earned every bit of it's R-rating).

Originally Posted by Fincher Fan
I'm eagerly awaiting it. Have you seen it, OP?
Yeah, I caught a screening of it at the Austin Film Festival with a Shane Black Q&A afterwards. I saw Shopgirl earlier in the night, and thought it was pretty solid. Talking with people outside the theater between movies, we all agreed that it probably wouldn't live up to Shopgirl. Nobody was expecting much out of it. An older couple that I was talking to even said that they were tired, and that if it was as 'blah' as they expected it to be, that they wouldn't give it more than a half an our of their time. I saw them after the movie, and they were still laughing and quoting lines to one another. Needless to say, we were all wrong in doubting the film.

Again, a message to everyone: give this movie a shot.

-JP
Old 10-22-05, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It looks like it might be good. Terrible title though. Early IMDB reviews give it a 7.5 (562 votes) and it has a 78% at rottentomatoes with 46 reviews. Pretty good.

It's by the guy who wrote the Lethal Weapon series -- 2 of which were really good (I actually liked the other 2 too, but mostly because I liked the characters).

He also wrote Long Kiss Goodnight and Last Boyscout, both of which I enjoyed.
Old 10-22-05, 08:28 PM

All they need to sell it is two words: Shane Black. You'll either want to see it or you won't.
Old 10-23-05, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I caught this tonight, and I can honestly say it is one of the funniest movies I seen in a very long time. The dialogue is extremely sharp and quick, and the story plays out like the best 80s action flicks. The audience I was with ate it all up; definitely one to see in a theater with a big crowd. I highly recommend it.
Old 10-23-05, 04:49 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
People like you are the very reason I made my post.
I'm honored and insulted, in equal measure.

It's unlikely I'll see it, simply because I already see a ton of movies and unless it plays someplace in walking distance of my house I probably can't be bothered. It's sad, but true...
Old 10-23-05, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FinkPish
I caught this tonight, and I can honestly say it is one of the funniest movies I seen in a very long time. The dialogue is extremely sharp and quick, and the story plays out like the best 80s action flicks. The audience I was with ate it all up; definitely one to see in a theater with a big crowd. I highly recommend it.

Fink, did you see it at The Grove ?
Old 10-23-05, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SPiRAL
Fink, did you see it at The Grove ?
Yeah, I caught the 10:10PM show. Nice big audience.
Old 10-23-05, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts
I'm really looking forward to this movie. Glad to hear you liked it.
Old 10-23-05, 09:26 PM

It looks pretty interesting so I will check it out for sure. thanks for the impressions.
Old 10-24-05, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by DodgingCars
It looks like it might be good. Terrible title though.
I actually like the title. Film critic Pauline Kael once said that most American movies are nothing more than "kiss kiss, bang bang." This movie makes fun of this very fact, and given that, I couldn't think of a more appropriately ironic title.

-JP
Old 10-24-05, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hmm, knowing nothing about this movie I thought it was some vague reference to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Guess not!
Old 10-24-05, 09:33 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I definitely plan on checking this out.
Old 10-24-05, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
On the fence about this one. I like most of Black's earlier stuff so will end up seeing it. Depends if on DVD though.....
Old 10-24-05, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I actually like the title. Film critic Pauline Kael once said that most American movies are nothing more than "kiss kiss, bang bang." This movie makes fun of this very fact, and given that, I couldn't think of a more appropriately ironic title.

-JP
Knowing the origin makes the title better. I had never heard that quote.
Old 10-24-05, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

-JP
The title has been used several times before:
http://www.imdb.com/find?q=kiss%20ki...g%20bang;s=all

At one time it was associated with the James Bond series, I think I read that Bond was called "Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" on posters in China (not really sure about this). Anyway, I have a couple of Bond cash-in LPs from the sixties that have "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" as song titles so the phrase has been used at least since then.
Old 10-24-05, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by obscurelabel
The title has been used several times before:
http://www.imdb.com/find?q=kiss%20ki...g%20bang;s=all

At one time it was associated with the James Bond series, I think I read that Bond was called "Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" on posters in China (not really sure about this). Anyway, I have a couple of Bond cash-in LPs from the sixties that have "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" as song titles so the phrase has been used at least since then.
Oh, I'm fully aware of that. However, that wasn't what the title for this particular film stemmed from. I asked Shane Black about it after his Q&A at the screening I went to, and he said that it was a riff on a Pauline Kael quote. Here's the full quote, for anybody who is interested...

"The words "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang," which I saw on an Italian movie poster, are perhaps the briefest statement imaginable of the basic appeal of movies. This appeal is what attracts us, and ultimately what makes us despair when we begin to understand how seldom movies are more than this."

-JP
Old 10-24-05, 05:10 PM

I saw the movie at the Helsinki International Film Festival a little over a month ago, and it is indeed very funny. Black's scipt is sure-footed and Kilmer's character especially inspired. The film's extreme self-awareness may become a little grating toward the end (they could easily have gone without the disgustingly smug coda) but the cocktail of sex, violence and comedy keeps the film afloat. It deserves to do well at the box office.
Old 10-24-05, 05:49 PM

Happened to catch the advance screening last week.
It was one of the best times in the theatres I had in a long time. Audience was rooting for the hero and there were lots and lots of great zingers and "oooh" "ahhh" moments.
It was strictly Lethal Weapon-inspired with Robert Downing Jr. in Mel Gibson's role (a few scenes, I really felt that he was mimicing Mel) and Val Kilmer (great performance). This is a hard R action-noir flick with lots of violence, gratius nudity and coarse language.
High recommended.
Old 10-25-05, 12:18 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,186 Likes on 837 Posts
Saw this at the 30th annual Toronto International Film Festival, and I recommend it as well. Not your average buddy-flick, yet... it is.
Old 10-26-05, 11:05 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Tyler_Durden
The film's extreme self-awareness may become a little grating toward the end (they could easily have gone without the disgustingly smug coda)
Agreed. Black could've lifted all that material right out and the film would play fine.

Otherwise, this a wonderful movie. I've missed Black's screenplays, so to hear his dialog and watch his construction of action sequences was a kick.

And Michelle Monaghan makes a great impression. She's got the acting goods.
Old 10-28-05, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nice bonus: naked Shannyn Sossamon!

The word of mouth alone got me psyched for this film. It had to counteract all the terrible tv spots playing. Robert Downey Jr. and Joel Silver brought the film to my class tonight to screen it, and it got the best reaction of any film we've seen this semester. I asked Silver who was in charge of the marketing, since I thought it was actually a disservice so far. He responded that he takes a great deal of involvement over the marketing and didn't seem pleased at my assessment (though John Ottman told me he thought the marketing sucked as well).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.