Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Baldur's Gate

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-05, 01:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Baldur's Gate

hello, ive read many times over the last few years of how great this game is and how much people love it.my question is, is most of the love for this game a nostalgia trip or does it still hold up well today? i recently put it on my laptop to get some playtime and see what the hype is about and was wonderin everyones general opinion
Old 10-22-05, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like it. I don't think it's that old to be a 'nostalgia game.'
Old 10-22-05, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My wife and I both still enjoy it playing it (and the sequel). I think Bioware just makes a solid game, so it's not really a nostalgia thing.
Old 10-23-05, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I found the 2nd one (Shadows of Amn) to be vastly better than the first, but it's probably worth playing the first for context, and it's still a good game.
Old 10-28-05, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I really liked the first one and found it very addicting. I haven't picked up the second one yet.
Old 10-29-05, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Baldur's Gate II = one of the best RPGs ever made

I still play it. 2D graphics from that era haven't aged as badly as the 3D graphics of the era.

And Minsc rules!

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 10-30-05 at 11:07 PM.
Old 10-30-05, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Baldur's Gate got me back into computer gaming in a big way when it came out. I hope you have the expansion (Tales of the Sword Coast) -- and if you like it the sequel is even better. I think the nature of these Bioware games helps them to age well. GreenMonkey is right -- the 2D graphics hold up much better than 3D graphics. Even when new the graphics weren't considered much. The games were groundbreaking because of the role-playing aspects, the story, the gameplay, and how D&D fans saw the game come to life. I loved all those Black Isle/Bioware CRPGs -- like the BG 1 and 2, Fallout 1 and 2, Icewind Dale 1 and 2, and best of all Planescape:Torment. It's only a few years ago, but it seems like forever since this style of game seems to have gone extinct. Even the RPGs that are around now are all action-style, shooter-hybrids, console ports, Diablo-esque clickfests, or MMORPGs.

I loved the gameplay of the Infinity engine games -- pausing with the space bar, planning and executing my actions, and letting things go real time. It had nothing to do with hand-eye coordination, but rather planning and strategy. The stories are rich -- BG 1 and 2 together form a massive epic. The NPCs are memorable. I love the party system, with your main character being joined by a variety of NPCs, all with unique personalities. BG 2 took things to the next level with romances possible the main character. Remember: "The eye's Boo! Go for the eyes!!!!"
Old 10-30-05, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I enjoyed the Baldur's Gate series especially the expansion to BGII. I think Star Wars KOTOR is very reminicent of the Infinity Engine games.

You can pause with the space bar, plan and execute your actions, and let things go real time. It has nothing to do with hand-eye coordination, but rather planning and strategy. The story is rich. The NPCs are memorable. The party system, with your main character being joined by a variety of NPCs, all with unique personalities is in there as well.

I just finished KOTOR 2 and was very disappointed. I expected more from the people who brought us Fallout, Icewind Dale and Planescape: Torment. I was extremely let down, and my level of enthusiasm for Obsidian has dropped tremendously. I'm very worried that Neverwinter Nights 2 is going to turn out sub-par. On the other hand I can't wait to see Bioware's next PC game. I just wish Jade Empire would come out for the PC so that I'll have something to play in the meantime. I'm not going to get an Xbox 360 to play Mass Effect unless it turns out as good as or better than SW:KOTOR. My RPG addiction will probably be sated by Oblivion for a while, but I hope Bioware comes out with another PC game in the future.
Old 10-30-05, 12:32 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by karnblack
I hope Bioware comes out with another PC game in the future.
Bioware is making another PC RPG called Dragon Age. Dragon Age will be a D&D-like setting with elves, dwarves, halfings, etc, but it will not be an actual D&D game since Bioware no longer has the D&D license.
Old 10-30-05, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by karnblack
I just finished KOTOR 2 and was very disappointed. I expected more from the people who brought us Fallout, Icewind Dale and Planescape: Torment. I was extremely let down, and my level of enthusiasm for Obsidian has dropped tremendously. I'm very worried that Neverwinter Nights 2 is going to turn out sub-par.
KOTOR 2 felt like it was rushed in the final hours. So, I'm still confident Obsidian can provide. There was a good base there, but not enough fleshed out. With NWN2, they seem to be taking their time. They are revamping the engine quie a bit, but the basics of module building and tools remain the same (whcih is good, since those worked fine). This allows them to focus more on the ruleset and single player campaign, which hopefullys means a more solid game all around.
Old 10-30-05, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
KOTOR 2 was indeed rushed. Obsidian didn't get the time to polish the game or finish it the way they wanted to. LucasArts wanted the game out in time for the Holiday season. If the decision would have been up to Obsidian the game wouldn't have been released until the 1st Qtr of this year. There's actually more content and even several endings that were left on the CD and some fans are taking their time to restore parts of the game that were left out. I still have faith in Obsidian and given more time KOTOR 2 would have been a much better game.

Back to topic -- Baldur's Gate 2 is the best PC RPG I've ever played. Funny things is....I never played through the first BG. I owned it the first day it came out, was playing my way through it and then had the ending ruined for me by a friend who was frustrated after beating it.

If your'e looking to play through the first BG I would suggest picking up BG 2 as well. There's a mod you can get put out by the Pocket Plane Group called BG1 Tutu. Basically it takes the much more refined Infinity engine used in BG2 and puts it in BG1 so the graphics and interface are much better.