Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

My review of F.E.A.R 8 hours into it.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-05, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My review of F.E.A.R 8 hours into it.

Been playing FEAR very heavily now for about 2 days. I reckon im about 7-8 hours into it. Im on the 5th or 6th stage. Here is my initial review.

*SPOILERS AHEAD. DO NOT READ IF YOU INTEND TO PLAY THIS GAME, OR HAVE JUST STARTED*[COLOR=Red]

Ok, first of all, dont get me wrong its been a great experience so far, but tonight... i just finally got a little tired of it. After the wow factor wears off from the first few slow mos that you do, which are really cool, well after that it gets a little tedious. In the first 6-8 hours of the game, there is only 1 enemy type!!! The standard solider guy. Here and there they spice it up with a wierd nightmare or ghost, but they are too few and far between.

So after you blow a few of them away, and then a few more, and then 200 more, well. . . it really does start to get a little tiresome. THe gunfights are AWESOME and the sound is awesome, but the first 8 hours of this game have been very very lacking in variety.

Thats my first gripe.

My second gripe is : The leve design absolutely BLOWS. Each and every one of the first 5 levels are so uniformly boring and forgettable, that many times i cant tell which way is left, or right, and the only thing that keeps me interested in moving forward is the next cool shootout. I mean the levels just suck ASS, they are way too predicatble,and repetitious. After you see the same yellow ladder, the same concrete texture, the same grate texture, the same firehydrant graphic, same desk, same goodie room where your guns and ammo are - it just gets really tiresome. Kind of like Doom III, only not as bad. LOL

Im not sure if ill finish out the game, it starts out with a bang, and then just drags on and on and on, and doesnt resupply you with variety enough often enough, to keep you in that "wow" feeling.

So, to sum it up- The gunfights are sheer insanity. I mean best FPS shooter EVER during the gunfights. They are LOUD, and violent, and bullets are ripping out chunks of the concrete all around you, and when soldiers get hit during slow mo, they dance backwards towards the wall as blood flies out of them. It is awesome. The true and absolute beauty of this game is that slo mo feature. When you turn it on and start firing the rag doll physics just look awesome, like a soldier will be getting plugged with shells, and he will fall backwards over a railing while still firing his gun. Or when you have slo mo on and throw a grenade, you might here a soldier go "ffffffuuuuuuuuuuucccccckkkkkkk, looooooookkkkk ouuuuuuuttttt. BOOM!" LOL

But when you have to slowly and tediously find your way through a cookie cutter concrete labyrinth, it gets really dull.

I give it a 7 out of 10.

Ill probably finish out the game with the cheat code that lets you skip to the next level. I really hope the game takes a radical change in the levels ahead.

Last edited by skiblet; 10-21-05 at 07:26 PM.