TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Tina Fey back on SNL Weekend Update

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-05, 05:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tina Fey back on SNL Weekend Update

Thank God that idiot Sanz won't be doing it anymore:

NEW YORK (AP) - Maternity leave is over for Tina Fey of Saturday Night Live.

She'll be back behind the Weekend Update anchor desk for this week's episode, her first show since giving birth to her daughter Alice on Sept. 10.

"I had to get back to work," Fey said. "NBC has me under contract; the baby and I have only a verbal agreement."

Horatio Sanz filled in for Fey on Update during her brief absence. Fey, 35, co-anchors the segment with Amy Poehler and has been head writer at SNL for five years. She and her husband, Jeff Richmond, have been married since 2001.

Saturday's show (11:30 p.m. EDT) features host Catherine Zeta-Jones and musical guest Franz Ferdinand.
Old 10-21-05, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts
Well, at least that means Sanz is gone from the desk. Now if only we can figure out how to get rid of him on the show...
Old 10-21-05, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Todd B.
Well, at least that means Sanz is gone from the desk. Now if only we can figure out how to get rid of him on the show...
Old 10-21-05, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
I cannot remember the last tme this show was funny for its full hour and a half.
Old 10-21-05, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sanz has his moments in certain skits, but he has no business being behind the Weekend Update desk. His timing is off and he has no chemistry at all with Poehler. Even Seth Myers or Kenan Thompson could have done a better job.
Old 10-21-05, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
like someone said before, having sanz on weekend update was a clever ploy for us to be ecstatic when fey came back.
Old 10-21-05, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
"I had to get back to work," Fey said. "NBC has me under contract; the baby and I have only a verbal agreement."
Shit humor from the head writer...this show sucks all sorts of ass.
Old 10-21-05, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Poor baby. I guess she isn't breast-feeding? (Especially after the crappy joke she made about breast-feeders last year.)

Old 10-21-05, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

let me predict what'll happen this week:
start off with a bush skit
do a saddam in court skit
weekend update with a bunch of baby jokes and maybe some lip-syncing jokes
lip-synching with ashlee
do some bear city
fin
Old 10-21-05, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
The only reason I'm watching this week is for Franz.
Old 10-21-05, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Tina Fey in HD.
Old 10-22-05, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
She was supposed to be out for most of the season. I wonder what happened to bring her back so soon. Motherhood not all it's cracked up to be?
Old 10-22-05, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
she wanted to be there for when franz gets shot and WW1 breaks out
Old 10-23-05, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I got one word to sum up this episode with CZJ. Crap.
Old 10-23-05, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
That she thinks that line is remotely funny speaks volumes about why the show has completely sucked for a long time now.
Old 10-23-05, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)

This was the caption underneath a pic of Tina...The Post gets action. Yesterday's Pulse story bemoaned the lameness of "SNL" in the absence of Tina Fey. Tina's rushing back to 'SNL'.

WHO'S YOUR MOMMA?
By DON KAPLAN

TINA Fey is cutting her maternity leave short to return immediately to "Saturday Night Live" — which has been trying to find its feet without its chief writer and most recognizable star.

Fey gave birth to a daughter, Alice, early last month. She is returning exactly six weeks after giving birth, the maximum time she would be permitted by law to stay out of work at full pay.

Women are entitled to take up to three months off — the last six weeks without pay.

No matter, it appears she was prevailed upon to come back early.

"I had to get back to work," Fey said in a prepared statement. "NBC has me under contract; the baby and I only have a verbal agreement."

"The doors were always open for her to come back when she wanted to," an "SNL" spokesman said. Fey — whose husband Jeff Richmond is a composer for the show — has been in touch with "SNL" producers throughout her leave.

A production source said she had been planning to return to work this week — but that she and the show had not said so publicly so that she could stay out longer if she decided later.

The bespectacled comic showed up for meetings last Monday and had been "in and out" all week. In her absence, the head writer's job has been handled by cast member Seth Meyers and a co-head writer, Andrew Steele.

"Tina is going to define her work load as she gets back in the swing of things," the "SNL" spokesman said.

Fey, 35, and Richmond, 45, met before their "SNL" jobs and dated for seven years before tying the knot in a Greek Orthodox ceremony in 2001.

Fey is also set to write and star in a sitcom pilot for NBC. The as-yet-untitled show is about a head writer for a sketch comedy/variety show much like "SNL." Producers have been trying to put together a cast for the past few weeks.

Saturday's "SNL," Fey's first of the season, will feature Academy Award winner Catherine Zeta-Jones as host.
Old 10-23-05, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Either way, as the head writer, don't you think Tina Fey MADE SURE that Horatio Sanz was in the weekend update spot?! I mean, there was no one worse who could have filled that spot, thus guaranteeing there wouldn't be someone who people actually liked as the replacement and visa vie made sure there was no one who would stay in that spot when Tina was back...
Old 10-23-05, 12:02 PM

I watched a little SNL last night and caught weekend update. Its good to see her back.
Old 10-23-05, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
Ah come on! That line was kinda cute. Since you feel that strongly, I recommend you find alternate entertainment in that time slot.

Last edited by Jack Straw; 10-23-05 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-23-05, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Originally Posted by Jack Straw
Ah come on! That line was kinda cute. Since you feel that strongly, I recommend you find alternate entertainment in that time slot.
No, Ill just rail until they fire the staff