Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"Stay", starring Ryan Gosling, Naomi Watts, Ewen McGregor

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 10-20-05, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Stay

Caught this tonight as a screening. "Searching is disabled", so I couldn't do a search and scanning the thread titles on the first two pages turned up nothing. Go ahead and merge this if it's a duplicate.

Anyway - it's a decent flick. Worth seeing. Don't expect to be scared or excited. It's slow and doesn't really have a message. The acting is good and the camerawork is good and I found alot of the transitions to be quite impressive. Some will pass this off as dull drivel, others will be confused, others will find some value here as a moody art piece.

Don't expect it to be another [fill in whatever movie title you have in your head here], because it's unique enough... sort of... and anyway - you'll just end up disappointed.
Old 10-21-05, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm looking forward to checking out this film. This is a great cast with an awesome director.
Old 10-21-05, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Is the twist as obvious as it seems in the trailer?
Old 10-21-05, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FinkPish
Is the twist as obvious as it seems in the trailer?
Nope. I didn't expect much going in, just looking to kill time on a day off, and ended up pleasantly surprised. Didn't really like Marc Forester's last film (Finding Neverland) that much, and thought Monster's Ball copped out, but I venture to say that Stay is a minor masterpiece. I think it'll be kicking around my head for a few days. I also think that most who see the film will be disappointed with the ending, but I thought it was, for lack of a better word, lovely - it makes the film a bit weightier, too.

cheers,

-the Jesus
Old 10-21-05, 06:02 PM

Damn, i thought this movie looked awesome but if it just worth seeing i might wait for the dvd.
Old 10-22-05, 10:43 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Could you even call it a twist?

The film is structured in such a way that you know things are strange from the first few scenes.
Old 10-22-05, 06:15 PM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Saw it and I liked it. I just didn't really get the whole twist part... Maybe someone can (with spoiler tags) tell me their opinion?
Old 10-22-05, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I liked the direction, Forster was having a fun time with the transistions.

As far was what the film was about:

Spoiler:
I took it was an exercise into what would a person close to death thinks about while being surrounded by total strangers, and thinking that he caused the death of his immediate family members, while also having Sam and Lila urging Henry to "stay" with them, the living, so Henry's choice was to imagine how the lives of the group of strangers would intersect, which would push his conscious mind and subconscious mind as a mechanism to "stay" among the living, but in the end, in his mind, Henry knew there was a certain time limit for him, and when it finally came to be, his time on earth expired, but not before his accident ironically brought Sam and Lila together, perhaps to carry on a relationship that Henry and Athena missed out on.

What I liked about the transistion is how I think Forster and screenwriter Benioff were trying to convey how our dreams transition from scene to scene.

Last edited by Patman; 10-23-05 at 07:47 PM.
Old 10-23-05, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I enjoyed it even though it's essentially a retread of
Spoiler:
Jacob's Ladder.

The editing is particularly fantastic; so many lavish wipes and transitions... The imagery is too heavy-handed (Forster practically hits you over the head with the countless
Spoiler:
twins walking around, dual pictures on walls, and mirrors
but it manages to work as pure eye-candy.

Am I the only one who got kind of a Nic Roeg/Bad Timing vibe from some scenes? Even the lighting and color was very similar at times.

Last edited by Cosmic Bus; 10-23-05 at 03:26 PM.
Old 10-23-05, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

While I enjoyed the movie visually, story wise it's pretty bad.

I wouldn't really call it a twist ending at all because it's easily figured out well before the final scene, it's just a matter of getting to it.

I agree with Trigger that some of the transitions are pretty impressive, but it seems that the director was trying way to hard to impress the audience with his style (not as bad as Domino, though ). A simple fade out now and then is okay.

I would recommend a rental on this, as the story really was weak.
Old 11-05-05, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw it tonight at the Drive-Ins w/ Doom (awful) and really liked it even though I didnt understand it completely. Beautiful music/style
Old 11-06-05, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really liked this film. It did not depend on its "twist" to shock the audience. You know something is up, and you are supposed to, so really I wouldn't call it a twist. The ending is just there to wrap up the story and make sense of it, rather than add another layer to the film.

I'm curious why you thought the story was bad, Alien Redrum.
Spoiler:
It's a dream and I think they captured it quite well, especially with those transitions. Fades don't belong in dreams, and I think the style was highly appropriate.

Last edited by Dead; 11-07-05 at 10:21 AM.
Old 11-06-05, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Drop
Spoiler:
It's a dream and I think they captured it quite well, especially with those transitions. Fades don't belong in dreams, and I think the style was highly appropriate.
Fuck, dude. Thanks a lot.

Last edited by Dead; 11-07-05 at 10:21 AM.
Old 11-06-05, 12:15 PM

I thought the movie was a mess. I did like the concept, it just wasn't captured well. I would give the movie two stars on a scale of five.
Old 11-06-05, 10:32 PM

DROP!

AWWWWWWWWWW Use spoilers , all i wanted to know if it was good or not.
Old 11-07-05, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I reported it hours ago, but still the mods didn't spoilerize it, so you can thank them too.
Old 11-07-05, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Drop
I'm curious why you thought the story was bad, Alien Redrum.
Spoiler:
I felt it was entirely too predictable and cliche. There was absolutely nothing novel about it.

It just seemed to be the director masturbating to all of the styles he learned in film school.

It's like an Argento movie. Very, very pretty, but lacking substance.
Old 11-08-05, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts
67 20 Stay Fox $23,265 -95.2% 63 -1,621 $369 $3,606,808 - 3

ouch.
Old 12-12-05, 05:53 AM

Stay, Spoilers so don't look if you haven't seen it...

I must be getting old, because more and more movies lately are loosing me. Broken Flowers is about the journey, but doesn't answer the questions asked. And now Stay. Tried to do a search but got too many results... I get that they are all dead, but who is who? Is this movie supposed to be watched backwards? Is it in the genre of Momento?

Last edited by H8nXTC; 12-12-05 at 08:01 AM.
Old 12-13-05, 01:41 PM

Nobody else see it?
Old 03-28-06, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw this today. Thought it was brilliant.

= J
Old 02-02-07, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I searched, because I thought I remembered there being a thread, but nothing came up.

Anyway, I just watched this 2005 film, and I must say that I really enjoyed it. In the first 2 minutes of the film, I started thinking "Oh...I'm not sure I want to watch 100 minutes of this film...", but the movie gradually won me over and I really enjoyed it. Anyway else seen it?
Old 02-02-07, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Loved it. Had to watch it twice to get all the small touches. Things like
Spoiler:
Ewan's pants being highwaters because that's the way the kid saw them while he was on the ground, since Ewan was crouching.

A very involving movie.

= J
Old 02-02-07, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=461893

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=442275
Old 02-02-07, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How come neither those threads, nor this thread itself show up in the search when I type in "Stay"?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.