TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Trump Blames Martha Stewart for Ratings Slide

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-05, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

ABC News

Oct. 19, 2005 — Will Donald Trump soon tell Martha Stewart "You're Fired"?

In an exclusive interview with ABC Radio, Trump said that the poorly rated Martha Stewart spinoff "The Apprentice" has caused his own version of the show, now in its fourth season, to lose viewers.

"The numbers are still good," said Trump. "I think there was confusion between Martha's "Apprentice" and mine. Mine continues to do well, and as you know, the other one has struggled severely."

Stewart's "Apprentice" premiered four weeks ago, drawing a disappointing 7.1 million primetime viewers, running a distant second to ABC's "Lost" in the Wednesday time slot. The show fell to 6.22 million in its second outing.

Two weeks ago, the show was moved from 8 p.m. to 9 p.m. ET, where it faired slightly better, but still not as well as had been expected.

Trump's show has also suffered. The fourth season opened to its lowest ratings to date. Through much of the season, audience levels have been off almost 40 percent, with a weekly average of fewer than 10 million viewers.

"I think it [Stewart's show] probably hurt mine and I sort of predicted that it would, because there was a lot of confusion in the world," Trump said.

In its new time slot, Stewart's show must now face off with ABC's "Lost," which has been surging in the ratings after winning a Primetime Emmy. Trump's own show also faces stiff competition on Thursday from CBS' top-rated "CSI."

As to whether Stewart's show will continue, Trump said it was not his decision alone to make. "That's really up to [producer] Mark Burnett and myself and NBC," he said. "But it certainly has struggled mightily."

Burnett told the Los Angeles Times recently that he was upset that Stewart's show was shifted to the new time slot. NBC made the switch in an attempt to bolster its military drama "E-Ring" and to save Stewart's "Apprentice" from going head to head with another top reality show, UPN's "America's Next Top Model."

Trump has nevertheless already started on his own fifth season of reality TV. "We're shooting it as we speak and it'll be very interesting. I think it's a very good show."
Old 10-20-05, 08:56 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I think Trump is wrong. The ratings are sliding because the show isn't doing anything new. The only reason I'm watching it (Trump version) is because my wife wants to. But it's exactly the same as the three previous seasons, even all the people seem the same (bunch of self-entitled whiny a-types).

I haven't seen the Martha version.
Old 10-20-05, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the Martha version is the same as Trump's... no different
Old 10-20-05, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Maybe he should blame his ratings dip on the tired premise of his show and his overexposure.
Old 10-20-05, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
His ratings have been in decline since after the 2nd season.
Old 10-20-05, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts
Trump should know the laws of diminishing returns
Old 10-20-05, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Morf
Maybe he should blame his ratings dip on the tired premise of his show and his overexposure.
Old 10-20-05, 10:02 AM

The Apprentice franchise needs to re-invent itself. Season 1 was the only one worth watching. Season 2 was ok and the ratings showed that. The rest were garbage.

I actually think the Martha Stewart version is a great idea but with the worst possible choice of person. Does anyone really like Martha Stewart? And would anyone want to work for her?

They need one show with different Top Dogs each year. PDiddy one year. some sports team owner the next, Movie Studio president the next, etc. The tasks each week would revolve around the requirements of the job, instead of the same tasks each year. Trump is very charismatic so his season 1 was a huge success and people love him, but the next owners don't necessissarily have to be as charismatic. I used to watch the show to see the tasks and test myself on how I would go about doing it, and much less so to see Trump.

A simple re-direction and I think the show could regain its status. I doubt Trump's ego, however, would allow someone else to take 100% of the spotlight.
Old 10-20-05, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You know it's a cold day in hell when NBC has to worry about UPN stealing ratings from their shows.
Old 10-20-05, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, that didn't take long. When has Trump ever blamed himself for a problem?

I still enjoy The Apprentice, but I watched only the first episode of the Martha Stewart version because it wasn't doing anything new.
Old 10-20-05, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by TracerBullet
Well, that didn't take long. When has Trump ever blamed himself for a problem?

I still enjoy The Apprentice, but I watched only the first episode of the Martha Stewart version because it wasn't doing anything new.
If Trump wants to blame someone, he should blame HIMSELF! He is an executive producer of the Apprentice: Martha Stewart. Perhaps, if every single episode on both shows wasn't the exact same ad for _____, then he may have a point. Still, NBC wasn't very smart to put the two shows on consecutive nights. Plus, all the contestants are pretty indistinguishable and the ones that are are shrill and annoying.
Old 10-20-05, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pdutta2000
They need one show with different Top Dogs each year. PDiddy one year. some sports team owner the next, Movie Studio president the next, etc. The tasks each week would revolve around the requirements of the job, instead of the same tasks each year.
Awesome idea
Old 10-20-05, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
What did he expect when he makes a bitch that most people despise the centerpiece of a new show.
Old 10-20-05, 11:07 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pdutta2000
The Apprentice franchise needs to re-invent itself. Season 1 was the only one worth watching. Season 2 was ok and the ratings showed that. The rest were garbage.

I actually think the Martha Stewart version is a great idea but with the worst possible choice of person. Does anyone really like Martha Stewart? And would anyone want to work for her?

They need one show with different Top Dogs each year. PDiddy one year. some sports team owner the next, Movie Studio president the next, etc. The tasks each week would revolve around the requirements of the job, instead of the same tasks each year. Trump is very charismatic so his season 1 was a huge success and people love him, but the next owners don't necessissarily have to be as charismatic. I used to watch the show to see the tasks and test myself on how I would go about doing it, and much less so to see Trump.

A simple re-direction and I think the show could regain its status. I doubt Trump's ego, however, would allow someone else to take 100% of the spotlight.
Totally agree.
Another idea would have been to at least have Trump's version on the fall, and Martha's in the spring. That would have been better than back to back on consecutive nights.
Old 10-20-05, 11:25 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think they made a big mistake with this franchise back when they decided they would be doing two editions per season. This works for Survivor and Amazing Race, but not so much for Apprentice. It takes away the "specialness" of the prize once we realize Trump is soon going to be able to staff an entire operation with former Apprentice winners. It would've been better if they hadn't been greedy/arrogant and instead had went with a once a year setup, a la American Idol or Big Brother.
Old 10-20-05, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho
I think Trump is wrong. The ratings are sliding because the show isn't doing anything new. The only reason I'm watching it (Trump version) is because my wife wants to. But it's exactly the same as the three previous seasons, even all the people seem the same (bunch of self-entitled whiny a-types).

I haven't seen the Martha version.

Exactly! Same here, I haven't seen the other show yet either.
Old 10-20-05, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe it's the lack of a catchphrase...

Doesn't she say in the "meeting room" (apparently The Donald owns the word "boardroom") something to the effect of:

"I'm sorry, this just isn't going to work out, it's not you it's me..."?

They try and make the show similar (graphics, transition shots, parts of the soundtrack, going back home after the "firing")

Heck, Donald took "You're Fired" from Vince McMahon, who has been doing it for years.

Last edited by Y2K Falcon; 10-20-05 at 11:44 AM.
Old 10-20-05, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I want to see Trump's version, but with all blue color workers. Same types of tasks, but with blue color people. I think they'd do just as well. I'm not a fan at all, but i've seen the show a few times and the tasks i've seen are easy.
Old 10-20-05, 12:07 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeboo835
I want to see Trump's version, but with all blue color workers. Same types of tasks, but with blue color people.
???
Old 10-20-05, 12:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you want blue color people who blue themself?
Old 10-20-05, 12:15 PM

I say dump the teams, and give each contestant $1000 seed money to do with as they want. Every week Trump comes in and fires the person with the least money.

D
Old 10-20-05, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by boogieman03
Totally agree.
Another idea would have been to at least have Trump's version on the fall, and Martha's in the spring. That would have been better than back to back on consecutive nights.
That's exactly what I think, although they should run Martha in the fall since she just out of prison and there's that interest there (her daytime show is doing well).

It is just too hard to keep all the contestants straight, watching both shows. It is a lot to ask of a viewer. Plus, I think Trump's version is on just too much. Back-to-back seasons is overkill. At least American Idol is smart enought ot d it once a year instead of twice. They should have held Donald's version back until January.

I really like Martha's version, just because she is a different personality and it is interesting to see her for a change. Plus she is not doing that tired "men vs. women" thing that Trump is always doing.
Old 10-20-05, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've never seen Trump's version because I can't stand to look at him or listen to him -- I realize that he can afford to be as full of himself as he seems to be, but geez!

That said, I've been watching Stewart's version right along. I find her fascinating in a lab experiment kind of way -- how she's just this side of fully human. The contestants are ridiculous and should be beaten with sticks.

As someone else said earlier, it sounds like Trump is just blaming ANYONE but himself and if his show has been exactly the same for five years, it's no wonder the ratings are dropping off -- Trump probably believes that people tune in to see HIM.
Old 10-20-05, 01:50 PM

Although the Apprentice has declined, I think last season Tana should have won. The fact that she didn't really turned me off of this. People are probably sick of the same boring winners season after season.
Old 10-20-05, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Sad to see another season coming. I already stopped watching Trumps show; would rather die than watcha Martha; and I was hoping these 2 would be cancelled after this season.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.