Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

MusicTalk Draft Tournament – Preliminary Rules Discussion

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-05, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A variation of this game has recently been played in the DVDTalk and TVTalk Forums moderated by Groucho. With his blessing, I wanted to see if there was enough interest in MusicTalk to play the game here.

Below are the rules, shamelessly copied from the previous draft threads.

If you are interested in playing, or have any thoughts or suggestions on the game setup, please post in this thread. If we have enough people interested, the draft will start Monday.

MusicTalk Draft Tournament - Rules:
The idea behind the game is that all the players “draft” a 10 CD collection, and then square off to see who has the best “virtual collection”. By draft, I mean selecting one album at a time to add to your collection in turn (like in sports, or in grade school where captains would pick teams).

Detailed rules:

1. Draft picks are "first come, first serve."

2. After we have a full field of players, rounds will begin every 24 hours at 9am Pacific (excluding weekends). The DVDTalk server clock will be the official timekeeper, so watch your timestamps! Any picks made outside the official time will be ignored. You'll need to repost them within the correct time frame.

3. For each round, players can draft one album (for example: “Miles Davis – Kind Of Blue”).

4. Once everybody has drafted 10 albums, we’ll have a bracket tournament. You’ll be randomly paired up, and the forum will vote on who has the better collection.

5. Restrictions:
a. You can only draft one album per artist. (You can’t draft every U2 album – pick your favorite!)

b. You can only draft one box set. A box set is defined as a multi-disc set combining multiple previously released recordings in one package (for example: “Tom Petty - Playback” (6 discs) would count as a box set while “The Magnetic Fields - 69 Love Songs (3 Discs) would count as a single album)

**Note** If a box set is drafted that collects the albums of an artist (i.e. "The Doors - The Complete Studio Recordings"), the individual albums contained in that box set are still eligible to be drafted.

c. You cannot draft an album that as already been drafted by drafting a “special edition” of that album. (for example: If a contestant has drafted “Interpol – Antics”, you cannot draft “Interpol – Antics:SE”). The same rule applies with albums that have been re-released. You may draft a certain release (i.e. “Bob Dylan – Blonde on Blonde: SACD/Remastered”) but that would make any previous release of the same album ineligible.

6. The field will be limited to 32 players. If we do not reach 32 contestants, there may be several players who receive a “bye” in the first round.

7. If you miss two rounds in a row, you will be replaced with an alternate. Alternates will enter the game in a "first come, first serve" fashion when this occurs, and will "inherit" the existing collection.

8. SPECIAL NOTE: This game will take approximately two weeks to play (weekdays only). Please do not sign up if you don’t think you can play the entire time.

9. Draft picks will be tracked in the second post of the draft thread.

10. After all the “collections” have been drafted, the bracket tourney will begin, and continue for five rounds until we have a grand champion.
Please let me know if there’s anything you don’t understand.

None of these rules are set in stone, so please give me any and all ideas you might have to make the game more fun.

Last edited by auto; 10-20-05 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-20-05, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Sounds fun. I'm down.
Old 10-20-05, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cool, i'm in also..this is very nerdy
Old 10-20-05, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts
So long as the '(weekdays only)' part of rule #8 sticks around, I'll play.

Edited to add: I'll play either way, but personally I disagree with the definition of box set. I'd define a box set as a 'multi-disc set combining multiple previously released recordings into one package.' Off your example, I'd consider 69 Love Songs to be one album, even though it's 3 discs, whereas something like the The Doors Complete Collection would meet the standard for boxset. Anyway, the rules should definitely be left up to the organizer, but that's just my $.02 on the box set definition.

Last edited by maxfisher; 10-20-05 at 09:28 AM.
Old 10-20-05, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm in.
Old 10-20-05, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by maxfisher
Edited to add: I'll play either way, but personally I disagree with the definition of box set. I'd define a box set as a 'multi-disc set combining multiple previously released recordings into one package.' Off your example, I'd consider 69 Love Songs to be one album, even though it's 3 discs, whereas something like the The Doors Complete Collection would meet the standard for boxset. Anyway, the rules should definitely be left up to the organizer, but that's just my $.02 on the box set definition.
I agree and have made the changes to that section of the rules. Good call.

Originally Posted by auto
None of these rules are set in stone, so please give me any and all ideas you might have to make the game more fun.
Old 10-20-05, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

count me in. i like being nerdy.
Old 10-20-05, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This sounds interesting but I'm confused. I'll have gmall2003 explain it to me
Old 10-20-05, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by iggystar
This sounds interesting but I'm confused. I'll have gmall2003 explain it to me
If you have any questions, please feel free to post them here.
Old 10-20-05, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What about live albums? Should they be allowed? I do not think greatest hits/compilations should be allowed. All box sets should have to be pretty much non-released material, a la Nirvana, The Cure.

Last edited by cdollaz; 10-20-05 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-20-05, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cdollaz
What about live albums? Should they be allowed?
I don't see why not.
Old 10-20-05, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The problem with compilation-style boxed sets is that someone could take "Led Zeppelin Complete Recordings" and then that would keep anyone from taking any other Zep albums.
Old 10-20-05, 11:16 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
okay I'll try this time - I never understood the DVD version of the game.
Old 10-20-05, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The problem with compilation-style boxed sets is that someone could take "Led Zeppelin Complete Recordings" and then that would keep anyone from taking any other Zep albums.
Hmmmmmmm.....another good point. Let me think about this.

Does anyone have any ideas? Should we allow individual albums that may have already been chosen as part of a box set?
Old 10-20-05, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I do not think greatest hits/compilations should be allowed.
Anybody else have any feeling on this issue?

Last edited by auto; 10-20-05 at 11:23 AM.
Old 10-20-05, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just think its kind of a cop out to be able to pick a greatest hits set because they are so obvious. Doesn't require much thought.
Old 10-20-05, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I would like to be in. Are double albums such as The Wall eligible?
Old 10-20-05, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts
I just think its kind of a cop out to be able to pick a greatest hits set because they are so obvious. Doesn't require much thought.
I would think greatest hits sets would be ok as long as:
1) everyone's limited to 1 box set
2) someone selecting a box set doesn't mean that individual albums within the box set are off-limits for selection

In that scenario, I imagine most people's lists would probably contain 1 comprehensive box set and 9 regular albums, which seems like it'd be fair. Otherwise, we'll probably run into some issues. Take Tom Petty's 'Playback' for instance, as it contains 3 discs of 'greatest hits' and 3 discs of unreleased material. Or Springsteen's 'Tracks', which while all of the recordings were 'original', quite a few of them were different versions of previously released songs. To avoid confusion, I think we need to either allow or ban all box sets, with no exceptions, and I'd come down on the side of allowing them.

As for regular, 1-disc greatest hits albums, I think they should be allowed. I might be in the minority in my thinking, but to offer an example, I'd consider Springsteen's 'Born to Run' superior to his 'Greatest Hits' and if two lists were identical in all other respects, would vote for the person who'd selected 'Born to Run'. Of course, I suppose others might not have the same view, but it seems like that'd just put more strategy into what you draft.

Edited to add: I know with the Movie Draft Tournament, they allowed box sets as I outlined above. For example, someone could pick the Lord of the Rings Trilogy box set, but that didn't take the individual movies off the table for the rest of the participants.

Last edited by maxfisher; 10-20-05 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-20-05, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I agree with everything maxfisher posted above.

Originally Posted by Drexl
I would like to be in. Are double albums such as The Wall eligible?
Yes. Double albums are elgible and count as one "pick".

Last edited by auto; 10-20-05 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-20-05, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I disagree. I think the majority of people who post here tend to look down upon "GH/Best of" albums. I, for one, would be more likely to vote for a collection that has better individual albums over one made up of "Greatest Hits" collections.

I would also argue that some "Greatest Hits" collections are the definitive release from that artist and these should be eligible.

In some ways, choosing a GH may require more thought.
Old 10-20-05, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fair enough. No way in hell I vote for someone with a GH on their list, but I guess that's their choice.
Old 10-20-05, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Fair enough. No way in hell I vote for someone with a GH on their list, but I guess that's their choice.
Old 10-20-05, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im in.
Old 10-20-05, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
I'm in and I'm going to keep entering these things until I survive the first round!
Old 10-20-05, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i definitely think box sets which collect complete albums of an artist should not be included. i don't see why anthologies, greatest hits, collections, etc. shouldn't be. it seems logical.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.