Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Beetlejuice SE?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-05, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Beetlejuice SE?

Now that we have the long awaited for Batman SE when (if ever) will we see a Beetlejuice Special Edition?
Old 10-19-05, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hopefully soon
Old 10-19-05, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, this definitely needs an upgrade.
Old 10-19-05, 12:55 PM

I am waiting for this as well.
Old 10-19-05, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Man, I've love to see this if it ever came out.
Old 10-19-05, 04:06 PM
Cool New Member

Been holding off on this one for years. A new special edition would be great. IMO Burton isn't the greatest at commentaries though.
Old 10-19-05, 04:13 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by roomservice
Been holding off on this one for years. A new special edition would be great. IMO Burton isn't the greatest at commentaries though.
He's getting better. The BATMANs were a considerable improvement.
Old 10-19-05, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by scott shelton
He's getting better. The BATMANs were a considerable improvement.
He's always better with editing and a "moderator." The Batman tracks were obviously conducted as a conversation and edited into a coherent whole...which worked infinitely better than his commentaries on Edward Scissorhands and Sleepy Hollow.

As for a Beetlejuice SE, I've been waiting for that about as long as I've been waiting for the Batman SEs. There was a rumor a long time ago (maybe at a Studio Day event) that WB was thinking about Beetlejuice and Mars Attacks! SEs. Since then...well, obviously nothing.

It could even be a one disc edition, as it's not a long movie. New transfer, commentary, keep the music only track, half hour retrospective featurette, deleted scenes, trailer...done.
Old 10-19-05, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i wonder if we will ever get the original commentary that he recorded and scrapped for batman...

i would pick up a SE of Beetlejuice. i watched this a few weeks back. and its hurting for some extras among other things. Its so cheap at this point though, that you can buy it for about the same you can rent it for.
Old 10-19-05, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd love a commentary track with Davis and Baldwin.
How about an Edward Scissorhands S.E while he's at it.
Old 10-19-05, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Cameron
i wonder if we will ever get the original commentary that he recorded and scrapped for batman...
1) Why? The one that did make the disc was good. He probably scrapped the other supposed one because it wasn't good.

2) Is there any solid evidence that there was one that he recorded and subsequently scrapped?
Old 10-19-05, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

In all of the WB chats, people always ask, but WB always responds that they have no plans for a Beetlejuice SE.
Old 10-19-05, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Scissorhands just was released as an anniversary edition not long ago, no?
Old 10-19-05, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Dan1boy
Scissorhands just was released as an anniversary edition not long ago, no?
That is a Fox title with a Nov. 8 release date. It appears to be the same disc as before, but just new packaging.
Old 10-19-05, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just wonder for the sake of having a diffrent commentary for batman...say years down the road as a new special feature...or after burton has left this world. It was reported that he had recorded a batman commentary a long time back. He always felt he was boring to listen to. He had done another commentary with a moderater and enjoyed it so much that he re-recorded the track with a moderator. It was reported that the second track would be a re-recorded with a special guest...many assumed Keaton...

its out there, but will we ever hear it? No doubt the new commentary is probably superior in form, but there may be other content or recollections in the original

...as for Scissorhands, the "anniversary edition" the other thread goes in to more detail, i found a copy at target and it was the same dvd under a new slipcover. the same slipcover dvdanswers posted as the new cover art...november will bring the tin and postcards, but no new content recorded. it was even the same upc
Old 10-19-05, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Beetlejuice definitely needs an overhaul. As for Batman, we just GOT an overhaul. If Burton scrapped the commentary in lieu of a new one, why would he want the one he scrapped to ever see the light of day?
Old 10-19-05, 08:07 PM

Oh God, I wish. I love this movie. Probably my favorite Burton film under Ed Wood.
Old 10-19-05, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think there was a thread a while back that asked people what their top 10 movies they wanted special editions for were. Well, Beetlejuice was right near the top of my list. I'm going to subscribe to this thread and hope I hear some good news soon! I've been spoiled with Tommy Boy, The Sting, Dumb & Dumber, Office Space, etc... Movies I thought would never be re-relased or upgraded (ok, I figured The Sting would eventually get an anamorphic release), and I was proved wrong.

Please prove me wrong with Beetlejuice!
Old 10-19-05, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

At this point, it would almost make sense for WB to make a Tim Burton Collection, of sorts, what with the new Batman SEs and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory/Corpse Bride coming out soon. They could repackage Pee Wee's Big Adventure in a keepcase, do a Beetlejuice SE and a Mars Attacks! SE, and put them all together. Perhaps Fox would even let them license Edward Scissorhands, similar to the situation with the Oliver Stone set (Wall Street, I think).

But then, for me personally, that would be unnecessary...I just want a Beetlejuice SE and a repackaged Pee Wee (just to get rid of the snapper...why not?). But for Warner's sake, it seems like a marketable idea.
Old 10-20-05, 05:05 AM

For the life of me, I can't understand why WB has dropped the ball on Beetlejuice. This movie put Burton on the map, and for many it is the best Burton film. All we have is the crappy DVD from 1997. A retrospective with participation from Keaton, Burton, Catherine O'Hara... this must be possible. Probably not Jeffrey Jones, sadly. Winona, I can't imagine it. At the very least a new transfer! What's the hold-up?
Old 11-11-05, 04:14 PM

why not winona? i know she would probably not want to hang out with johnny depp but is there bad blood between her and burton?
Old 11-12-05, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by mikvin
why not winona? i know she would probably not want to hang out with johnny depp but is there bad blood between her and burton?
Well, I dunno, it seems to me she doesn't participate in these types of things, but I might be wrong. Goddammit, WB, give us Beetlejuice!
Old 11-12-05, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am all for Mars Attacks and Beetlejuice Special Editions by Warner Bros. They need to do something like this, these are great Tim Burton films.
Old 11-12-05, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Egon's Ghost
Well, I dunno, it seems to me she doesn't participate in these types of things, but I might be wrong. Goddammit, WB, give us Beetlejuice!
I think Winona's been hiding since the shoplifting thing.