DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : School me on webcams

Green Jello
10-18-05, 01:40 PM
I've never had one before, but we recently had a baby and my Mother-In-Law suggested getting one so she could see the baby online from time to time. I know... -ohbfrank-

Anyway, what are good ones to get? I noticed they range from like $10 to $200. Is the video quality that much different?

Also, I have a new Sony MiniDV Camcorder with USB 2.0 and Firewire. Can I just use that?

Finally, what programs are the best to use? I have all the major IM accounts.

Silt
10-18-05, 01:50 PM
I use this one (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2204,CONTENTID=10136) . Works pretty well and only paid $10 after rebates last summer. I use Yahoo with it. If you and the person you are talking to both have a highspeed connection, Yahoo has a SuperCam mode which is very fast...fast enough that it's more like watching a movie than the standard slide show most cams are.

Michael Corvin
10-18-05, 02:10 PM
PC or Mac? I am assuming PC, but if it is Mac, beware. None of the Logitech "cheapies" work on a mac. You have to throw down for the $80 model.

Green Jello
10-18-05, 02:15 PM
PC.

Also, my mother-in-law only has a dialup connection. Is it even possible without broadband?

matome
10-18-05, 03:20 PM
I use the logitech QuickCam Pro 4000, but my cousin has an older Sony camcorder that he uses with Yahoo IM, so you should be able to use yours as well. There is a dropdown where you can choose from the cameras that are connected to your system.

It will work with dial-up, but it'll be pretty choppy.

Green Jello
10-18-05, 04:55 PM
Cool, I'll try the camcorder first. Thanks for the help everyone.

Giantrobo
10-19-05, 06:45 PM
Try "Search" and you'll get some good Webcam threads. There was one a month or so ago. Anyway, My SONY min-dv cam can also do webcam stuff but I've never tried it. Most of the girls in the Webcam rooms I checkout use camcorders. You can tell when BATT or MENU messages pop up and blink until they stop it. :lol:

bill_n_opus
10-22-05, 07:48 AM
- your webcam experience/enjoyment will only be as good as the weakest link. Your mother-in-law has dialup ... it will be choppppppy. However, you will be able to see images and at least the audio will work.

- get a webcam that has an integrated mic, like most Logitechs. Otherwise you'll have to supply your own mic which isn't expensive but a pain.

- a good value webcam is something like a Logitech Communicate STX. 640x480 at a claimed 30fps. You'll have to install the webcam software as it's not natively recognized by XP.

- as another poster mentioned, only certain models are Mac-friendly. See the Logitech webcam lineup for example. The Communicate STX is not Mac-friendly for example. last time I checked. The more expensive models like the 4000 are.

c-moon
10-24-05, 07:58 PM
Never used one of these but I ran across it tonight on Amazon. This thing looks awesome! Not cheap (about $610 for 2 of them after rebate) and $15 / month to use, but it is unlimited usage! The demo looks pretty slick.

Anyone here have any experience with these? It looks like a slam dunk to use and superb video quality.

Amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00098175K/102-6242750-7857752?v=glance&n=172282&n=507846&s=electronics&v=glance

DEMO Link:

http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/products/ojo/retail/

ANDREMIKE
10-25-05, 02:11 PM
This may seem like a dumb question, but how do both parties view the images? Is there a site that one needs to go to?

bill_n_opus
10-26-05, 08:07 PM
This may seem like a dumb question, but how do both parties view the images? Is there a site that one needs to go to?

I'm not a pro but generally speaking you need to:

- use a program that offers video chatting like MSN Messenger, Yahoo Messenger .... atm i'm using MSN. You both have to have MSN installed.
- once you both log in you invite the other person for a video chat and once they accept the connection gets prepped for a video conversation.

That's basically it.

I understand that you may be able to use other programs that may be able to video chat with other MSN clients without actually having MSN installed on your comp.