Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Shield Season 4- How's it compare to previous 3?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-05, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just finished watching Season 3 of The Shield and loved it. I see that season 4 is being released right after Xmas. I did not see any of it while it aired on FX. I will get this season when it comes out. I know that there are many fans of the show on this message board. Just curious as to what viewers thought of season 4. Do you think it maintained its level of quality or, in your opinion, was there a big drop off? Please do not discuss any plot details or bring up any spoilers. I'm just looking to see what you thought of season 4's general quality. Thanks.

For the record, I rank season 1 as the best, followed by 3, and then 2.
Old 10-18-05, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
It was phenomenal. With the addition of Glenn Close it was probably up there with season 1 as the best the show has done.
Old 10-18-05, 12:11 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
I felt Glenn Close did a great job. That said, I felt that season 4 was not as good as any of the previous 3.
Old 10-18-05, 12:20 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Season 4 is superb, a big step up from seasons 2 & 3. Almost as good as season 1...at times it's even better.
Old 10-18-05, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I thought it was great, too. I thought some of the characters were a bit under-used, but it was terrific to see Glenn Close do so well, particularly when so many people ahead of time thought that bringing her on the show sounded terrible....

Then again, your mileage may vary. I only get about 15 mpg on the road.
Old 10-18-05, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Season 4 was much better than Season 3 I thought. There was a lot more drama and they really kept things tense. I wasn't too thrilled with hearing Anthony Anderson was joining the cast but I think I ended up being even more impressed with his performance than i did with Glenn Close! Very surprising! they both did really well.

I don't think Vic was as over the top in this one as he was in previous seasons but he was getting watched pretty "close"-ly.
Old 10-18-05, 03:57 PM

I'll echo the sentiments posted above, it was the best of the four IMO. Glenn Close really made season four and seeing Mackey try to somewhat go straight was enjoyable as well. Looks like Forrest Whittaker is joining the cast for season 5, so it should be good as well.

Spoiler:
Whittaker will play an Internal Affairs officer who's investigating Mackey
Old 10-18-05, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I thought that S4 was an incredible season. I don't bother rating seasons. Each stands on it's own merit.
Old 10-18-05, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you were satisfied with season 3, I agree that you'll be very happy with season 4. Season 3 is the worst of the seasons in my book (though that's like naming a least favorite child -- I'd take S3 over almost any other TV out there).
Old 10-19-05, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimmy James
If you were satisfied with season 3, I agree that you'll be very happy with season 4. Season 3 is the worst of the seasons in my book (though that's like naming a least favorite child -- I'd take S3 over almost any other TV out there).
I only feel that way about the season's first half. The second half of S3 was incredible (about the time the strike team got their groove back)
Old 10-19-05, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S4 was great. The only thing that sucked was knowing that Close
Spoiler:
was unhappy with the time commitments the show required and missed her daughter so you knew she was going to be written off before the end of the season.

However, certainly ranks high. S3 really was only a half-season in my opinion since it sets up a ton of stuff that doesn't work/play itself out until S4. I'd have to agree with DVD Josh... why rank them? If you liked S1-S3 why would you NOT get S4?

BTW with all the extra episodes for S5, rumor is that it will be the final season of the show. So you best get caught up!!!!!
Old 10-19-05, 11:57 AM

Thanks for your opinions. Greatly looking forward to December 27, when this is released.
Old 10-19-05, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only thing that bugged me about the DVD sets is that they switched to the slim cases after having 2 sets released as digipacks. Its a small thing but it still bugged me.

I guess its not as bad as having the discs come in a big plastic Michael Chiklis head.
Old 10-19-05, 04:35 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Liked Season 3 better than Season 4.

G. Close was good. Anthony Anderson was better than good.

I just liked the previous seasons better.

Maybe its because the Strike Team were seperated for most of season 4.

Still .... The Shield is the best drama on tv.
Old 10-19-05, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
The only thing that bugged me about the DVD sets is that they switched to the slim cases after having 2 sets released as digipacks. Its a small thing but it still bugged me.
Have they switched to slims for the newly produced season 1 and 2 sets? If so, you could always eBay and re-buy.
Old 10-19-05, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As others have said, season 3 was a real downer and dragged on because of the Strike Team being split up. Season 4 started out slowly until they managed to give Glenn Close's character a personality. Then it started kicking ass.
Old 10-22-05, 03:16 PM

anthony anderson was really good on the show

but i definately think that 1 2 and 3 were better than 4