Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Please help me figure out Xbox Live switching/renewal

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-05, 09:04 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Please help me figure out Xbox Live switching/renewal

I have Xbox Live now and got a notice that its coming up for renewal on 11/16

I want to get the NEW live service with my xbox 360.

How should I do this? Should I let it renew and somehow when I try to get online with my 360 I can put in info and it will know me?

OR

Should I cancel and then when I get the 360, i can get a special sign up bonus (they have a $20 rebate thing with new sign ups right?)

The thing is, I dont want to lose my gamertag. Do I have to just renew and transfer it over and forget about trying to get a rebate?
Old 10-17-05, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would just renew now. IT carries over seamlessly from one to the other.

The $20 rebate is ONLY if you buy the XBOX360 LIVE package. It includes 1 year, headphones and a $20 rebate towards a game. However, it costs $70....so, it's easier to just renew now. I know mine is ending soon also. I may find another card for $40 or less to save myself $10.
Old 10-17-05, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
I would just renew now. IT carries over seamlessly from one to the other.

The $20 rebate is ONLY if you buy the XBOX360 LIVE package. It includes 1 year, headphones and a $20 rebate towards a game. However, it costs $70....so, it's easier to just renew now. I know mine is ending soon also. I may find another card for $40 or less to save myself $10.
Best Buy has it for $39.99 for a 12 month renewal card for Reward Zone Members this week.

They had recently emailed me a $5 off Live renewal coupon which seems to be good through 10/23.

As mine just expired and they could not charge my card as the card # had changed, I might go this route to keep my subscription going.

$35 is not too bad.

My first year I got free through the Retail program, the second year I got heavily discounted through the Retail program, but this seems to be about the best deal currently.
Old 10-17-05, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Goto graveyard mall to get Xbox Live Starter Kit (12 mos, headset, mechassault) for $29.95 + $6.95 shipping

Nevermind...it appears to be out of stock (but keep an eye on it)
Old 10-17-05, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by sniper308
Best Buy has it for $39.99 for a 12 month renewal card for Reward Zone Members this week.

They had recently emailed me a $5 off Live renewal coupon which seems to be good through 10/23.

As mine just expired and they could not charge my card as the card # had changed, I might go this route to keep my subscription going.

$35 is not too bad.

My first year I got free through the Retail program, the second year I got heavily discounted through the Retail program, but this seems to be about the best deal currently.
Thanks for the info. I am going to go ahead and try to get it for $35. Hopefully I will be able to use it directly on a Xbox360 account, so I can then get my 1 month free with the 360, and then add the 1 year card. If not I can always go back to my old Xbox account and add the card.

Note: The coupon does state "Markdowns taken from regular prices." but I guess it is worth a shot anyway.
Old 10-17-05, 06:32 PM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Check your local Radio Shack. I just picked up a starter kit with a 12 month subscription for $14 + tax. I then sold the headset and the game on ebay, so it basically cost me nothing to renew.
Old 10-17-05, 06:46 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you still get to keep your gamertag when you do this 'renewal card' deal? Ive never seen one, is it supposed to be for new subscribers only?
Old 10-17-05, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dgc
Check your local Radio Shack. I just picked up a starter kit with a 12 month subscription for $14 + tax. I then sold the headset and the game on ebay, so it basically cost me nothing to renew.
Are you sure that wasn't the 3 month starter kit? Last I checked that was the one Radio Shack was selling for cheap.
Old 10-17-05, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
Do you still get to keep your gamertag when you do this 'renewal card' deal? Ive never seen one, is it supposed to be for new subscribers only?
Yes, you keep your gamertag, it 'renews' your account, therefore it isn't dependent on if you are a new member or not.
Old 10-17-05, 11:11 PM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by flashburn
Are you sure that wasn't the 3 month starter kit? Last I checked that was the one Radio Shack was selling for cheap.
Yes, I already picked one up and used it. It is the 12 month subscription.

Availabilty Check - Xbox Live Starter Kit w/ One Year Subsription. $15 ! :

http://education.radioshack.com/RSCo...6/m26-0694.jpg

http://www.fatwallet.com/t/18/528249/
Old 10-18-05, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dgc
Yes, I already picked one up and used it. It is the 12 month subscription.

Availabilty Check - Xbox Live Starter Kit w/ One Year Subsription. $15 ! :

http://education.radioshack.com/RSCo...6/m26-0694.jpg

http://www.fatwallet.com/t/18/528249/
Well according to that Radioshack link none in my area have it in stock, I guess I will just stick with getting one from Best Buy.
Old 10-18-05, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, nothing at my RadioShack either. Although, the link seems rather cryptic.

GraveyardMall is sold out also.