Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Arrested Development - Season Two'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-05, 12:52 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Adam Tyner's DVD review of Arrested Development - Season Two at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=18220 and I thought it was very well written.
Old 10-16-05, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Thanks! I really appreciate it.
Old 10-16-05, 01:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow! What a ****ing phenomenal review this is.

I couldn't agree more regarding the series. I think it's (easily) one of the most consistently hilarious "sitcoms" I've ever seen. I look forward to each new episode like a starving man looks forward to a really tasty Chick-Fil-A sandwich.
Old 10-18-05, 07:52 AM

I thought the review was excellent as well. Clever use of the screencaps too, and let's hope that DVD sales allow season 3 to be completed and have the show renewed again.
Old 10-23-05, 08:22 PM

EVERYONE needs to buy this. Such an incredible series, its just sad at what little support it gets.
Old 10-27-05, 10:46 PM

This thread needs more replies of people supporting this amazing show.
Old 10-28-05, 03:40 AM

Might I recommend this site.

Also, you'll probably find more active AD discussion over the the TV section. Not much traffic in this forum, less'n you commented on a review or you wrote one.
Old 10-28-05, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by Comfort Eagle
EVERYONE needs to buy this. Such an incredible series, its just sad at what little support it gets.
I've watched about 3 or 4 shows, and I DON'T find it particularly funny. That's not to say it's not a good show - it just doesn't appeal to my particular sense of humor...

So that may answer why it's not doing better...rather than the often-stated supposition that people would like the show if they just watched it.
Old 10-28-05, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I've watched about 3 or 4 shows, and I DON'T find it particularly funny. That's not to say it's not a good show - it just doesn't appeal to my particular sense of humor...

So that may answer why it's not doing better...rather than the often-stated supposition that people would like the show if they just watched it.
It's pretty understandable why people won't find it funny if they just watch an episode "here or there". At this point, I'm sure you've given it your chance. But, if you reconsider: I would highly recommend just sitting down with the first season boxset and start from the beginning. There's never been a comedy I've seen that builds on it's own situations more than this one.
Old 10-28-05, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew
It's pretty understandable why people won't find it funny if they just watch an episode "here or there". At this point, I'm sure you've given it your chance. But, if you reconsider: I would highly recommend just sitting down with the first season boxset and start from the beginning. There's never been a comedy I've seen that builds on it's own situations more than this one.
That's probably it...I jumped in at the middle of last season and watched a few shows and then tried the season premiere this year...didn't do anything for me.
Old 10-28-05, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
speaking of ad season 3, when does it come back? baseball's fuckin over, and on monday nights, they are showing prison break instead (which isn't a bad thing, mind you.
Old 10-28-05, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Shannon Nutt

That's probably it...I jumped in at the middle of last season and watched a few shows and then tried the season premiere this year...didn't do anything for me.
You should give it another chance from the beginning. I wait until then to place an APB on your sense of humor.

Arrested Development is funny on its own, but there are two unique things about it that make it even more special IMO. First, it's one of a tiny handful of shows (at present, I can only think of The Simpsons in its prime) where you can watch the same episode 3 times back-to-back and find something new and hilarious each time. Second, it constantly builds on itself, upping the ante of self-referential comedy with each successive episode. Sitcoms almost never do this, likely because it makes it near impossible for new viewers to get all the jokes, so I'm happy that there's at least one show out there that rewards our loyalty and attention to detail. The best way I can think to describe some of AD's humor is to think of the closing scene in Newhart where Bob wakes up next to Emily. AD does that 15 times per episode in differently nuanced ways, but if you don't know who Emily is, it's just not going to be funny. For those of us who have been following the show from the beginning, though, it makes for some downright hilarious television.

das
Old 10-28-05, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by Rypro 525
speaking of ad season 3, when does it come back?
November 7th. For an hour, even.
Old 10-28-05, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Scott Weinberg
I look forward to each new episode like a starving man looks forward to a really tasty Chick-Fil-A sandwich.
Coincidentally, Adam posted this review on a Sunday. Chick-Fil-A was closed.
Old 10-29-05, 12:50 AM

Damn you, Sunday!!