Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Can someone ID this video artifact?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 10-16-05, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone please tell me what this phenomenon is called? It varies in intensity station to station. I only notice it with bright colored graphics.

It makes the graphic appear to be shimmering squares (the squares are smaller that macroblocking & larger that pixels). It almost looks like the CUE bug, but its not horizontal lines.

I do not see it when viewing HD (either OTA or E* provided). And I can't see it on some SD stations even with bright/intense graphics.

I do see it on standard def (OTA digital/analog) no matter which STB I use: 942 via component or DVI & 721 via S-Video (obviously SD only). I also recall seeing it on my old 36" Toshiba analog CRT (but on a smaller scale).

Adjusting contrast, brightness, saturation, or resolution, makes no difference.

I expect there's no real way to fix it since I suspect it's the source material, but I wonder if anyone can give this artifact a name?

I have a Samsung DLP (check the profile for the complete setup)

Thanks.
Old 10-16-05, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, shimmer is impossible to see on a single frame, of course. I, for one, am not quite sure what you are refering to in the pic. It's always hard to tell on pics, since most artifacts are easier to see when it's still moving.

I do see what looks like grain (probably upconversion artifact, dithering perhaps is the term), some blooming (which must be source since DLP can't really bloom), and maybe some extra lines. But the lines may just be part of the graphics.

I would say it could still be termed macroblocking from your description. I wouldn't think there is a size limit on this, other than pixel size.
Old 10-17-05, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you talking about the way the Vertical sides of the U & N (in SUN) don't look straight, and how the S seems blocky?

Other than what appears to be a bit of blooming, I don't see anything else wrong with the picture.
Old 10-17-05, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mordred
Are you talking about the way the Vertical sides of the U & N (in SUN) don't look straight, and how the S seems blocky?

Other than what appears to be a bit of blooming, I don't see anything else wrong with the picture.
No, I just can't seem to get a good pic for example. I have no way of getting a true screen cap.

Although the actual phenomenon is actually throughout the entire graphic, this picture really only reveals it in the two horizontal lines underscoring the days of the week. The magenta top line is the most obvious. This line should be solid, but instead it's made up of small blocks (larger than pixels, smaller than macroblocking) of alternating brightness. If you can see what I'm talking about there, then you'll notice the same effect to some degree on almost all horizontal lines in the graphic.

I'm convinced it's the source material since I also recall seeing it on my old 36" direct view CRT. It's just much more noticeable on the big screen. It's only on SD material, and not even all SD material.

I'm mainly just trying to find out if this artifact has a name, so I can quit calling it the "shimmering squares".
Old 10-18-05, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is it just in the graphics? Maybe it's because of how they were made.
Old 10-18-05, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Spiky
Is it just in the graphics? Maybe it's because of how they were made.
I'm wondering if that's on purpose too

Is it just on the news or just on one station, or every station?
Old 10-18-05, 05:01 PM

It is consistently on the local news, but I also see it on highly intense graphics on commercials, etc. Again, only on the local feed.