Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Exchange
Reload this Page >

jester695: Is he spamming anyone elses email?

Community
Search
DVD Exchange Swap DVDs with your fellow DVD Talkers.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-05, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He has sent me this email (from [email protected]), using the email setup here at DVDTalk, numerous times:

Selling off titles from my collection.

Here is the link: [link removed]

Everythig with a price is for sale. Feel free to make offers. Thanks.
I have talked to him over email quite a few times, and after offering him different prices for his DVDs, he continued to ask for close to retail prices for his used items. That's totally up to him, and I understand that, which is why in one of his last emails he told ME that he wasn't interest in selling to me anymore, and I told him to just not email him anymore then. I wished him luck with his sales, and thought that to be the end of it.

However, I still continue to get emails from him through the DVDTalk email system. I was just wondering if I was the only one or something, I doubt it though as he seems to be sending it to random people.

Last edited by Mao; 10-16-05 at 09:28 AM.
Old 10-15-05, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, I've got at least 8 ~ 10 so far, very annoying.
Old 10-15-05, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the reply. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't just me.
Old 10-15-05, 11:37 PM

And it doesn't appear to be a DVD talk issue as the body of the email has been different on most occasions (usually they come two at a time). The first two made mention he was selling A Bugs Life and the last half dozen or so have been similar/identical to the more "general" one you posted above.
Old 10-16-05, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts
Yeah, he has been sending me spam e-mails often. I told him to quit. His prices are way too high btw. I have probably received at least five e-mails from him this year. It's really annoying me.
Old 10-16-05, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I get them too. If I'm in the market for something, I will look or post on the forum. Not random email solicitations.
Old 10-16-05, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh yeah, it hasn't been the exact same message each time for me either, so it can't just be a DVDTalk problem. Not only are his prices high, (but like I said, they're his DVDs so he can charge whatever he wants), but his being rude and all of this spam is just starting to get to me.

In my opinion, spamming other members using the DVDTalk email system should be a bannable offense. Then again, it just might be already.
Old 10-16-05, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I simply blocked his email by placing it my spam list. Problem solved with very little time spent.
Old 10-16-05, 01:11 AM
Banned

8 - 10? that's hilarious
Old 10-16-05, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've gotten a few. It wouldn't be so bad if he'd cut the prices about in half or so. Then I'd buy up a bunch of them.
Old 10-16-05, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by jester695
8 - 10? that's hilarious
No, it's annoying not hilarious.
Old 10-16-05, 01:21 AM
Banned

exactly, if you don't want my items, it's easy to just ignore the offers.....and there has never been 8 - 10, or even 5 as some are saying........many people have asked me to notify them when i am selling titles, they have been thrilled to get a chance to buy good titles in groups of more than just 1 or 2.......if you have a problem, talk to Mao, i will be happy to talk to him about it............and if i continued sending emails over and over to people who had specifically asked me not to, then that would be spam........a registered exchange forum member emailing another registered echange forum member with the email address that they have put on the forum for dvd trader use, that is not spam.........they authorized the use of their email address for dvd transaction purposes when they listed it on this site (they could have left off an email address, but they didn't, they put it in direct access of other dvd traders/sellers)

there are many, many $4 titles and such on my list, plenty of good deals....but it seems the very people who are posting here right now are the ones who have been rude, profane, and abrasive when replying to me (usually not saying "please don't email me".....but whining about the prices and acting as if they have some right to get special prices just because they are special (or for whatever reason they might have).......many times claiming that they can get my titles for cheap locally, prices that connot be verified online, they just claim that something "special" is going on at their local store...........it's a joke

and i will report this thread to Mao right now, as it is not appropriate to be here
Old 10-16-05, 01:25 AM

Bull, I've received two in the last two days alone and the first ones started to arrive nearly a week ago. And yes it's most certainly spam. It's bad enough that you're just soliciting random parties but to do it over and over is not only pointless and in poor taste but it's asinine.

The trade forum is right here. The fact that you emailed all of us, numerous times no less, means you make the presumption we're bright enough to read thus simply posting your thread here and giving us the opportunity to respond would've been more than enough.
Old 10-16-05, 01:29 AM
Banned

I hadn't even decided to sell my stuff a week ago. I dind't even have a list then. Let alone sending emails about it 8 - 10 times. I've already forwarded the thread to Mao. He can sort out all YOUR bull.
Old 10-16-05, 01:32 AM

Arguing is pointless so I'll simply say this, don't email me again, I'm tired of your unsolicited spam and have no interest in your sale.
Old 10-16-05, 01:40 AM
Banned

I have no intention of emailing you again. You'd just claim that it brought the total up to 16, maybe 18. Look up the term "spam" and find out what it actually means.
Old 10-16-05, 01:43 AM

Spam - To indiscriminately send unsolicited, unwanted, irrelevant, or inappropriate messages, especially commercial advertising in mass quantities.

Looks like it fits the bill to me.
Old 10-16-05, 01:45 AM
Banned

it is not unsolicited once you register and voluntarily list your email address on the site which it comes from

irrelevant? it's about dvd's....from a dvd site? does what you're saying even make sense in your own head?
Old 10-16-05, 05:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Glad to see he is suspended now, but I would think banning is more appropriate. One of the forum members mentioned that he was getting mails from him last week, but I told him I wasn't, but I just got one.

Regardless of how ridiculous his prices are (they are), I would never purchase anything from him based on principle alone now (aside from other reasons that I might have already had).
Old 10-16-05, 05:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jester695
it is not unsolicited once you register and voluntarily list your email address on the site which it comes from
Bullshit. This would be true if the email was coming from DVDTalk, but it is not, it is coming from you looking to make personal gains. You are a spammer, no different from any other spammer out there.
Old 10-16-05, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just to chime in for a second, I've received spam from him too.
Old 10-16-05, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I dont even know this cat, and I've recieved two within the last two days.

'welcome to DVDtalk, how can I spam you today?' lol
Old 10-16-05, 08:30 AM
Defunct Account

Yeah, I received some spam from him last night. I e-mailed him and politly asked him to stop spamming and pointed out that it would cut down on his sales. (I never looked at his prices...I never support spam.) He replied that it wasn't spam as he did above, and even said that he "already talked to Mao" implying that it was alright. What a joker, and I'm glad he's suspended. (Mao's a kinder soul that I would have been.)
Old 10-16-05, 08:47 AM

He's emailed me several times, one with copied/pasted text from his thread. I can obviously read the FS/FT threads, but I had no idea he was doing this to quite a few people. I just thought he was motivated or needed cash quick. I could understand it if the prices were really low and there was some demand for it, but the prices are a bit high. What jumped out at me was the all caps. This isn't a direct quote, but something like:

I WON'T BE SEARCHING LISTS, EMAIL ME YOUR TRADE OFFERS.

Unless his prices are super low, how is it fair to say we have to search his list but he won't search ours? It was especially weird for me, because he had ignored a few of my previous emails about possible trades.

Jester, I know you're reading this even if you can't reply. What's gained by telling a potential trader they're making no sense?? None of my emails to you were rude, profane, or abrasive, I simply chose to not buy your stuff and leave it at that. I'm pretty new to DVDTalk, but I wouldn't ever say the things you have here, even after 4 years. If it doesn't work, I wouldn't risk future trades by arguing about it... $.02

Last edited by CPT; 10-16-05 at 08:50 AM.
Old 10-16-05, 11:11 AM

Sorry to see he was only suspended but that's certainly better than nothing. What an arrogant little jackass. By his logic if we all sign up for eBay accounts, seeing as it's a site all about auctions just as this one is all about DVDs, we should expect a couple thousand emails a day from people offering us everything from new Ferraris to food processors

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.