Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Restoration thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-05, 10:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Restoration thread

Hi, I wanted to post this in DVD but I figured movies would be more appropriate. I started this because I am interested in the preservation of our film/TV heritage, and discovering the strange, forgotten and obscure in film. To that end I have been interested in learning more about the science and art of restoration, mastering and generally making quality DVDs.
I was thinking of making a career out of it and corresponding with people who have accomplished that. At the absolute least, it's an aspect we all pay attention to in our DVDs but we dont seem to know much about. So, who wants to go first?
Old 10-16-05, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
What was the question?
Old 10-16-05, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The rush to save 100 years directed by scott benson was a great documentary about film restoration. It has not been released on dvd. I have been searching the net for someone who had a copy. No luck. If you can find it, check it out...and then tell me where you got it.

the places with the vast majority of needed to be restored films are

The UCLA Film & Television Archive
USC archives
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences Film Archive
The U.S. Library of Congress
George Eastman House

the owners of the HTF have done some fine work on restorations. They are pretty accessible. You might also look at working for a company that puts out public domain movies for theaters and home viewing...good way to learn the in's and out of it.
Old 10-16-05, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like movies.