Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

High Tension subtitle situation

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 10-14-05, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can some one explain this whole subtitle problem better? i've been talking with Chela from the LG forums trying to explain it to her but i can't get her to understand what i'm saying. she keeps insisting that the subtitle lines that appear while watching the movie in french are suppose to be there even though NO ONE IS SPEAKING WHILE THEY APPEAR!! maybe someone on here can explain it better so i can copy/paste it to her because i can't get her to see where i am coming from.
Old 10-14-05, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ask her WHY the subtitles and captions ONLY translate the English DUB/hyrid dub of the film. So when you watch it in french,you still get the added bits from the hybrid dub.

Maybe that would clear things up better?
Old 10-14-05, 08:48 PM

I don't know the situation, but it appears that these are just "dubtitles". Just like Sony does with most of the Godzilla movies. It is not exactly an accurate translation of the French then.
Old 10-15-05, 04:29 AM
Cool New Member

High Tension uses the so called "dubtitles". This is a more common situation than you may think. The extra subtitles are added in non dialog spots to fill in additional plot info due to slight plot re-shifting done to the US release. So the "original French unrated cut" is basically false. It's actually the "unrated french-language dumbed down subtitle version". I'm pretty sure the Korean Region 3 has a different subtitle track and its unrated.

(The Criterion version of The Killer uses "Dubtitles" but the Mei Ah Region 3 translates the original Cantonese properly.)

CanDVDFan