Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Classical music rock covers...

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 10-14-05, 01:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to find classical music, as covered by a rock guitarist. Obviously searching classical rock guitar doesn't bring up the results I'm looking for. I really can't think of good search terms for this. Does anyone know of some bands/individuals I should search for? Something similar to the Trans-siberian group, except no vocals, and they're really holiday music not classical, but it gives a rough idea of what I'm looking for. Thanks for any help you all can give.
Old 10-14-05, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 80 Likes on 46 Posts
Try Yngwie Malmsteen.
Old 10-14-05, 02:14 AM

Unless I'm under a completely wrong impression (and I dont think I am) he's actually 'neoclassical'. As in quick as hell fast shred player, like 80s rock guitar on coke. Not really what I'm looking for. I'm just looking for famous classical songs covered in a hard rock fashion, not necessarily a 'shred' fashion.

Although I realize they call it 'neoclassical' for a reason, in that classical songs covered by a guitar will almost always by necessity sound a little 80s-ish.

Edit: Ah, looks like I overlooked some of his work, thanks for bringing him up. "Concerto Suite For Electric..." is pretty much what I'm looking for, although I'd still like to hear some other suggestions.

Last edited by dpganz; 10-14-05 at 02:24 AM.
Old 10-14-05, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 167 Likes on 118 Posts
Scatterbrain's "Sonata #3" (Mozart) from Here Comes Trouble. They also have a great guitar riff tribute song of sorts called "Down With The Ship (Slight Return)."
Old 10-15-05, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Scatterbrain...is that album in print? I know it's certainly not in any stores I've visited....not even the used bins. I used to have that album on cassette.

I'm not goin' down with the ship (nope, I ain't goin').