Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ever run a mini-festival at home?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-05, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I occasionally like to view related movies in a single sitting or over a couple of days for fun. Examples

Frankenstein
Bride of Frankenstein
Young Frankenstein

Yojimbo
Fistfull of Dollars
Last Man Standing

Seven Samurai
Magnificent Seven
A Bug's Life

Do you ever do something similar? If so, what are the themes of your mini-festivals?
Old 10-14-05, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
I've been doing mini festivals for ten years now. I program anywhere from 4 to 7 movies on a general theme (sci-fi, horror, schlock, etc.) and put together 45 minute segments of trailers, cartoon and short films between each movie. I have amassed nearly 800 classic trailers and the last few years I get tons of new ones off the net. I went from VHS to Super VHS and last year to DVDr. I also have been procuring a video projector.

It started when we used to go to the local 24 hour sci-fi marathons and horror marathons. They quit doing the horror ones a couple years so we started doing our own. Turns out we had more fun at home and only occasionally go to the theatrical ones. We expanded into the other genres. I do one around Halloween (next weekend) and one in Spring.

Past few years, I've even made my own little short movie. Usually digitally inserting myself into a trailer like Billy Crystal at the Oscars.
Old 10-14-05, 06:22 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

since i import alot of films from other regions that aren't available here, i often invite friends over to watch the best of my discoveries on my 110" front projection screen. a bit of discussion usually follows and we have a great time.
Old 10-14-05, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Several people on this board are doing a month-long festival of sorts as they try to get to 100 or more horror movies watched.
Old 10-14-05, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My wife, another couple and I did the EE versions of the LOTR movies back to back back. A loooooooonnnggg fun day.
Old 10-15-05, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sure, all the time, be they movies that are part of a series or movies with the same actors. Sometimes I'll do a few in a day, sometimes spread them out over the course of a week. Bond weeks are always a great time, ever since TBS started doing their so many days of 007 years and years ago (and which Encore has done the last few years).

The Jason Bourne movies are great back to back.
Old 10-15-05, 04:45 AM

I'd love to see the LOTR EE's back to back, but not yet. I think when SW:Episode III is out, I'll watch all 6 in a row, that would be wild. As for mini-festivals at home, just a kung-fu marathon on my birthday a few years back-some sonny chiba, duel to the death, and 5 deadly venoms. It's definitely a great way to spend a day.
Old 10-15-05, 06:42 AM

I once watched the Evil Dead trilogy with three friends. Two of them had never seen any of them. It was a fun night.
Old 10-15-05, 10:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No - but I run a sweat shop from my house, if that counts.
Old 10-15-05, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
I've been doing mini festivals for ten years now. I program anywhere from 4 to 7 movies on a general theme (sci-fi, horror, schlock, etc.) and put together 45 minute segments of trailers, cartoon and short films between each movie. I have amassed nearly 800 classic trailers and the last few years I get tons of new ones off the net. I went from VHS to Super VHS and last year to DVDr. I also have been procuring a video projector.

It started when we used to go to the local 24 hour sci-fi marathons and horror marathons. They quit doing the horror ones a couple years so we started doing our own. Turns out we had more fun at home and only occasionally go to the theatrical ones. We expanded into the other genres. I do one around Halloween (next weekend) and one in Spring.

Past few years, I've even made my own little short movie. Usually digitally inserting myself into a trailer like Billy Crystal at the Oscars.
That sounds really fun. I hadn't thought about adding trailers and cartoons.

I have fond memories of the saturday afternoon double feature with a Woody Woodpecker cartoon and a couple previews for what will be showing the following week before the films start.
Old 10-15-05, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
I alwaysd load the 5-disc changer for a complete theater/drive-in show. I made trailer compilation discs and have a disc of 10 minute drive-in intermissions. For drive-in night it's 1. Cartoon 2. First movie 3. Intermission 4. Trailers 5. Second Feature . A major feature film is 1. Cartoon 2. Trailers 3. Feature. I program the player, hit auto play, and sit back and enjoy.
Old 10-15-05, 05:51 PM

i used to do it all the time, usually with horror movies. i've done vampire night, zombie night, stephen king night, snake night, friday the 13th night/day (1-9). haven't done it in a few years, though.
Old 10-15-05, 10:44 PM

Me and my friends used to have marathons based on the director, Kevin Smith, and Mel Brooks were the ones that come to mind.

Good Times, Good Times.
Old 10-15-05, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I had a Kick Ass film fest years ago with some work friends.

Die Hard
Predator
Aliens
Old 10-15-05, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Every March I do a Cynthia Rothrock Film Fest and run through about 12-15 flicks. over a week.

D
Old 10-17-05, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by rw2516
I alwaysd load the 5-disc changer for a complete theater/drive-in show. I made trailer compilation discs and have a disc of 10 minute drive-in intermissions. For drive-in night it's 1. Cartoon 2. First movie 3. Intermission 4. Trailers 5. Second Feature . A major feature film is 1. Cartoon 2. Trailers 3. Feature. I program the player, hit auto play, and sit back and enjoy.
I'll probably do something similar when I finally get around to getting a media server.
Old 10-17-05, 10:32 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I used to do this all the time with a good friend of mine back in high school. We'd rent 3-5 movies from a single genre and watch them all in one sitting.
Old 10-17-05, 01:03 PM
Banned

I am unable to view multiple of movies at one time daily, due to my full time employment. I endeavor to watch at least one movie per day weekly before reporting to work, and sometimes, three movies during the weekend when I'm off from work.
Old 10-17-05, 01:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jiffy97
My wife, another couple and I did the EE versions of the LOTR movies back to back back. A loooooooonnnggg fun day.
Now that's a challenge. I still have not watched the first installment of LOTR yet.