Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

TVs that display NTSC and PAL?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-05, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going region-free but I don't think my current player (modded PS2) actually converts PAL to NTSC.

I'm in the market for a TV, so I was wondering.... Do all LCD TVs display PAL, simply because of what they are? I mean, it's not like LCDs have static refresh rate, per se. If I don't go LCD, do most HD sets support this multi-function, since they're high-end?
Old 10-12-05, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know about most, but there are some that do. And some that do, don't come out and say it. My plasma does PAL and NTSC, but to switch it over to PAL I have to go into the hidden service menu and make the change there. My LCD TV, on the other hand, just switches on the fly.

It shouldn't really matter though, because if you're going to spend the money for a digital TV, you really should just spend a few extra dollars for a decent multi-region player that does conversion. The PS2 is not a good DVD player, I don't care what people say, I've had one and owned multiple players. Hands down, the PS2 always loses in terms of quality, features and ease of use. You can get a better multi-region player for under $50 now, I'd suggest going that route and keep the PS2 for the games.