Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Me and You and Everyone We Know'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-05, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Geoffrey Kleinman's DVD review of Me and You and Everyone We Know at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=18144 and...

Just wanted to express my support of the observations in this review. I saw the film at my local theater here in Chicago and thought that was highly-original. I have also seen on quite a few international boards that the film has been regarded very highly. It is a shame though that there is no buzz at home whatsoever.

Highly recommended viewing indeed

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 10-12-05, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
I'm extremely disappointed in the lack of special features. At the bare minimum there should've been a commentary and a look at July's earlier work. With the wealth of material already available (just look at July's websites) MGM/UA seriously dropped the ball.
Old 10-13-05, 01:57 AM

I bought it since my teacher was one of the producers, glad everyone seems to like it, I haven't watched it yet, maybe tonight.
Old 10-13-05, 11:43 PM
Banned

I totally disliked the movie itself, and the special features were equally as unimpressive. Two stories, a subplot that contradicted the main story, which was relegated to being the subplot in the end, and it was just a very uncomfortable movie. More like something Todd Solendz would have written, but atleast he has direction.
Old 10-15-05, 03:18 PM

Yea, I just watched it also and didn't think much of it neither...
Old 10-19-05, 12:46 PM

I just saw it last night and loved it. Sometimes quirky works for me and sometimes it just annoys me; in this case i thought it was kinda magical. I can't wait to see what July does in the future.
Old 10-20-05, 10:37 PM

I thought it was quite amazing...

Perhaps my shallow glance at the cover of the DVD threw me off, but I wasn't in any way, shape, or form, looking forward to seeing this. I haven't heard ANYTHING about this movie, and didn't know it existed until my weekly visit to the local Blockbuster yesterday. I've chosen high-speed internet over cable, so therefore pick movies at random to watch while chilling out or eating dinner... Which is why I chose this one, the "eat for a half hour and shut it off- turn it back on tomorrow for dinner" movie.
I was sucked into the lives of the characters about 10 minutes into the movie. I laughed, I cried, and was completely slacking on my chores for the night. I wound up watching the whole movie without moving.
I came online to check out the director to see what else she has done, and in my search ran across this website. I read the main review on the movie, and also learned in the search that the awesome actress was actually the writer and director! I was shocked and quite pleased.
I definitely recommend this movie if you find depth to the characters charming; the ones created here will draw you in...
Old 10-25-05, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was very disappointed in this film, but Miranda July has very beautiful eyes.
Old 10-25-05, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Once again, a DVD Talk review comes through for me. I blind-bought this film based on its review and was not in any way disappointed. Thanks!
Old 10-30-05, 09:09 AM
Banned

Me and You and Everyone we Know is, in my honest opinion, one of the strongest individuel piece of film of 2005 (in Canada).

There's a whole universe put together in this film and it's simply fabulous.

She talks about 'taboo' subject, but in such a interesting way that nothing seems shocking anymore.

We're talking about playing with 'poop', or and compare/contrat blowjob event. Both of those are actual subject that you won't talk about around the family table. But here, you have this depicted in a movie so charming, so true, that it takes its own dimension.

A remarkable film and I'm really looking forward for more from that girl.

It'll be released November 1st in Canada and this is my 'pick of the week' at my job (I work in a DVD retailer.)
Old 10-30-05, 10:29 AM
Banned

I don't know how blatant pedophilia can be charming, but OK. Again, two conflicting storylines, and a bunch of arthouse mumbo jimbo. It's "art", not entertainment, and it's a very ambitious indie that ultimately left me unsatisifed, and seemed totally unnecesary.
Old 10-30-05, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Cinemaddiction
I don't know how blatant pedophilia can be charming, but OK.
I do not wish to question your morality standards nor do I wish to discuss with you what I can describe only as a blatant exaggeration but I must say that you probably saw a different film. If this film is an example of blatant pedophilia then I shiver at the thought of you seeing and commenting on the classic Lolita.

Hollywood indeed has a safe future!!

Pro-B
Old 10-30-05, 01:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
I do not wish to question your morality standards nor do I wish to discuss with you what I can describe only as a blatant exaggeration but I must say that you probably saw a different film. If this film is an example of blatant pedophilia then I shiver at the thought of you seeing and commenting on the classic Lolita.

Hollywood indeed has a safe future!!

Pro-B
It just came off as very pretentious. The film had no actual motivation. As if she took it upon herself to out the act of innocense being lost, when we already know it's an issue, and not really offering anything, much less a catalyst or solution, so it's virtually worthless. Just like, "Hey! I recognize that kids are growing up too fast..and..that's all I have to say. Here's a film about it!" That, being the subplot, ended up becoming what carried the film. The adult drama, which was what was cleverly promoted in all the trailers, I found to be just as empty.

She talks about 'taboo' subject, but in such a interesting way that nothing seems shocking anymore.

We're talking about playing with 'poop', or and compare/contrast blowjob event. Both of those are actual subject that you won't talk about around the family table. But here, you have this depicted in a movie so charming, so true, that it takes its own dimension.
So charming, so true, so what? What's the point of it all? Is it some sort of artsy "reflection" that's being imposed? It's a disturbing movie, IMO, with a boring adult drama that alienates more than it engages.
Old 10-30-05, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I didn't care for it, either. I thought it simply came off as bland Sundance-bait, trying ever so hard to be quirky and funny and affecting, while ending up about as sincere as a car commercial. A serious eye-roller.
Old 10-30-05, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Cinemaddiction
The film had no actual motivation. .
What is this statement meant to describe? I have never seen such a poor argument regarding a film that offers very little to support your claim about blatant pedophilia. In fact, I am not even sure why you picked to describe it as such. It is one thing to dislike the film and simply state your opinion but trying to come up with an intelligent (yet meaningless) phrases such as the one you used above for me at least makes absolutely no sense.
Furthermore, there are plenty of "so what" films that Hollywood comes up with on a daily basis, many of them regarded as spectacular, that are nowhere near close to this one. As you could see I am not trying to change your opinion about the film but simply point out to you that your parallels and analogies are plain ridiculous.

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 10-30-05, 07:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
What is this statement meant to describe? I have never seen such a poor argument regarding a film that offers very little to support your claim about blatant pedophilia. In fact, I am not even sure why you picked to describe it as such. It is one thing to dislike the film and simply state your opinion but trying to come up with an intelligent (yet meaningless) phrases such as the one you used above for me at least makes absolutely no sense.
Furthermore, there are plenty of "so what" films that Hollywood comes up with on a daily basis, many of them regarded as spectacular, that are nowhere near close to this one. As you could see I am not trying to change your opinion about the film but simply point out to you that your parallels and analogies are plain ridiculous.

Ciao,
Pro-B

It's meant to describe just that. There's no palpable motivation for the movie. If there is any, please tell/show me what exactly it was, and what I was supposed to get out of it, aside from Miranda July's soapbox ramblings about today's youth.

It's all opinion, anyway, but when it comes down to deriving meaning out of something, if it's not there, it's not there, and that's all there is to it. "Napoleon Dynamite" was a film about nothing, and it never claimed to be anything more. "Me and You" was obviously someone's thesis on premature sexuality, but doesn't offer much more than a lampooned personal view.
Old 11-01-05, 09:41 PM

I absolutely LOVE it when I enjoy movies that 98% of the "sheeple" population hate!!
People can't be happy unless there are "beautiful" people or super-fast, small-penis cars involved in a movie plot...
I'm going to BUY this movie at FULL PRICE just to show how much I appreciate this artist (July's) movie debut.

As my peronal OPINION, I would like to say that the scene where the two main characters are walking down the street to their parked cars, and have their first "real" conversation together as two strangers/but yet lifetime partners was one of the most original scenes I've ever been witness to.
Perhaps I'm sheltered, but I don't think so....
Old 11-02-05, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I just wanted to add a little more support to this movie. I bought it blind based on the review here and love it. I've watched it twice already and it's very rare for me to watch a movie twice in the same month.

The first time I was a bit uncomfortable in the subjects it was bringing up, but the way everything resolved in each case was spot on perfect. The scene at the end at the park bench is full of innocence, caring, and laugh out loud humor. These two unlikely people have connected in such an unique way and then it's over and I don't think I'll ever see or feel this particular way in a film again.

Miranda July was a joy to watch as well. I do have a thing for quirky and cute, so I'm a little biased. I really enjoyed her subversion of the "art scene" with her colorful stickers and pink backdrop, to contrast the colorless art matrons and the artist making an exact replica of a dirty hallway.

Others have commented on the walk to the cars, so I'll just echo their comments and say it was an amazing scene.