DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Alien Nation-Complete Series, due 1/3/06

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-05, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alien Nation-Complete Series, due 1/3/06

Alien Nation (1989) TV Series

I have been waiting forever for this series outside of the CH offering. The MSRP has been posted as 49.95 but DDD will have it for 36.59. It will be 6 disc from FOX. Now I need the 'made for TV movies'. I seem to remember 4 of them.

Note: I made a search to see if something like this had been recently posted but it didn't work.
Old 10-12-05, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
I have the CH releases (bare bones other than text bios) and am wondering if these are the same transfers or if it will be worth the upgrade. I was hoping the tele-films would be included, especially since the series sends on a cliffhanger. There were actually 5 tele-films:

"Dark Horizon"
"Body & Soul"
"Millennium"
"The Enemy Within"
"The Udara Legacy"

Those in their own boxed set would be great...it's like getting 10 more episodes!

Oh, and only $34.66 at DVD Empire.

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 10-12-05 at 12:53 PM.
Old 10-12-05, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh, and only $34.66 at DVD Empire.
About the same on Amazon with A9 discount, plus free shipping

I like the feature film, but didn't know they made a series out of it. I might pick this up.
Old 10-12-05, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by pagansoul
Alien Nation (1989) TV Series

I have been waiting forever for this series outside of the CH offering. The MSRP has been posted as 49.95 but DDD will have it for 36.59. It will be 6 disc from FOX. Now I need the 'made for TV movies'. I seem to remember 4 of them.

Note: I made a search to see if something like this had been recently posted but it didn't work.
Hmmm... I plugged "Alien Nation" into the forum search and this was the 6th match, would have been 5th before your thread was posted:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....t=Alien+Nation
Old 10-12-05, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess this means the prices on the CH DVDs will go way down. I sold all of them on eBay, except for the last one since I didn't have that one, for over $200 earlier this year.
Old 10-13-05, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Great news
Old 11-03-05, 03:12 AM

I'm thinking of picking up Alien Nation as a blind buy.

Do I need to watch the theatrical film before watching the series? With 'Stargate', you definitely need to see the movie first, but 'Buffy' is a complete relaunch of the story that is independent of the original movie. Which type is Alien Nation?
Old 11-03-05, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Christi P
Do I need to watch the theatrical film before watching the series? With 'Stargate', you definitely need to see the movie first, but 'Buffy' is a complete relaunch of the story that is independent of the original movie. Which type is Alien Nation?
As I recall, it's closer to the Buffy model and you don't need to see the movie. Someone can correct me if I'm misremembering.

Incidentally, technically the Buffy series does follow the continuity of the movie, in that Buffy has already been annointed as the Slayer when the show begins and has just moved to Sunnydale from LA. However, obviously, all of the little details about her personality and the style and tone of the story were revamped (no pun intended) and the series is basically self-contained whether you've seen the movie or not.

Last edited by Josh Z; 11-03-05 at 09:00 AM.
Old 11-03-05, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Alien Nation The Series is not a relaunch but is a continuation of the film.

The producers actually reshot a major scene from the film with Gary Graham in place of James Caan.
Old 11-03-05, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's both a continuation AND a restart! They use one of the scenes from the original movie (as the above poster noted, reshot with Gary Graham) and use it for the premise of the pilot. But Graham's Sikes is totally different than Caan's Sykes in personality (and the spelling of their last names!), as is Eric Pierpoint's George compared to Mandy Patinkin's George.

BTW guys, I just interviewed both Gary Graham and Exec. Producer Ken Johnson for this release - so keep your eye on DVD Empire...we'll be putting up the interviews for you next month! Trying to track down Eric as well...but no luck so far.
Old 11-03-05, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
I *loved* this show. Incidentally, when the series was on FOX in 89-90 I had never seen the film but had no problem following the show whatsoever.

FOX massively screwed up by cancelling this show after one season. They even acknowledged this later on.

And yes the telefilms had better be included! Otherwise the farl
Old 11-03-05, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Matt Millheiser
And yes the telefilms had better be included! Otherwise the farl
The telefilms aren't included...but if the first season sells well enough, they'll be releasing the movies. Only Dark Horizon (the first movie) saw life on VHS, so most of the telefilms haven't been seen since their original airing (I think Sci-Fi Channel ran them a few years back). Hopefully, all five of the TV movies will be in one set, rather than individual releases.
Old 11-03-05, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good news. Can't wait to check this series out again.
Old 11-23-05, 08:50 AM
Banned

From dvdactive.com:

Title: Alien Nation
Starring: Gary Graham
Released: 3rd January 2006
SRP: $49.98

Further Details:
Fox Home Entertainment has sent over artwork for the complete series of Alien Nation which stars Gary Graham, Eric Pierpoint and Michele Scarabelli. The six-disc package will include all twenty-one episodes of the show, along with with the pilot movie. Each of the episodes will be presented in 1.33:1 full frame, along with English Mono tracks. Extras will include a commentary on the pilot movie by Kenneth Johnson, and a behind the scenes featurette. You'll be able to own this one from the 3rd January, priced at $49.98.
Cover artwork here
Old 11-24-05, 08:48 AM

Damn slags...
Old 12-16-05, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey guys...I've been working on this for a while, so I hope this is something you'll all enjoy until we finally get the box set in a few weeks:

http://dvdempire.com/Content/articles/aliennation.asp?