Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

"You've been on my mind, lately all the time" help?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 10-12-05, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I heard this song the other night between sets at a concert. I've asked everybody I know, fed it into Google and still nothing. The lyric goes something like:

"Babe, you've been on my mind, lately all the time."

It was a good song, but I can't remember any other lines or much about it. It was an acoustic type number and I know a couple other people have asked on lyrics web sites, but neither of them got any responses. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-12-05, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
U2's "Electrical Storm" has the line "You're in my mind, all of the time." Probably not what you're looking for.
Old 10-16-05, 05:42 AM

Damn, I was sure somebody on here would be able to help me with this one. I looked all over the Internet before posting on here too. I guess I will never know.
Old 10-16-05, 02:42 PM

I think it is Bob Dylan's "Mama you been on my mind" I am not sure if it is on any of his but it is on a couple of Joan Baez recordings including the two of then in concert togather.
Old 10-18-05, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Krewet
I think it is Bob Dylan's "Mama you been on my mind" I am not sure if it is on any of his but it is on a couple of Joan Baez recordings including the two of then in concert togather.
If it is "Mama You Been On My Mind" (I'm not sure, since there's not the "lately all the time" line after it in the lyrics) there's a great Bob Dylan studio version that can be found on The Bootleg Series Volumes 1-3, a 3 disc set. A live version with Joan Baez is on The Bootleg Series Vol. 5 - The Rolling Thunder Revue, a 2-disc live set. According to my liner notes of Bootleg Vol. 1-3, Joan Baez recorded this song as "Daddy You Been On My Mind" on her Farwell, Angelina album ("Farwell, Angelina" is another song penned by Dylan, BTW).
Old 10-18-05, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts
This is a longshot, but it's all I got. It was also covered by the Petshop Boys, it had quite a different feel, though I enjoy both versions.

Always On My Mind
~ Willie Nelson

Maybe I didn't treat you
Quite as good as I should have
Maybe I didn't love you
Quite as often as I could have
Little things I should have said and done
I just never took the time
You were always on my mind

Maybe I didn't hold you
All those lonely, lonely times
And I guess I never told you
I'm so happy that you're mine

If I made you feel second best
Girl I'm so sorry I was blind

Tell me, tell me that your sweet love hasn't died
Give me, give me one more chance to keep you satisfied, satisfied

Little things I should have said and done
I just never took the time
Old 10-18-05, 11:35 PM

^ And don't forget Elvis' version. It's such a beautiful song. I think I have about ten versions of it on my computer.

Ok badger after going through some more well-known songs I found this one a few days ago on an English site. I didn't think it was the one you're looking for, but since you still haven't figured it out and some of the lyrics are close I thought I'd look it up again. Unfortunately, that link's now broken, but I still found it on some Chinese sites (note all the ???). I couldn't find Patricia Grey on All Music, so maybe it's too obscure for something played at a concert.
Old 10-25-05, 12:59 AM

Thanks for all the help guys. It wasn't Dylan and it wasn't "Always on My Mind." Not sure about that last one, but it wasn't a woman singing, so probably not. I might just have to write this one off as lost or just keep searching the Internet every once in a while.
Old 10-25-05, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by badger1997
Thanks for all the help guys. It wasn't Dylan and it wasn't "Always on My Mind." Not sure about that last one, but it wasn't a woman singing, so probably not. I might just have to write this one off as lost or just keep searching the Internet every once in a while.
You're holding out on us, we need more info, dammit:

1. Backup vocals present or solo?
2. Noticeable accent?
3. Country song? Folk? Rock?
4. Instrumentation: just a guitar? Drums? Bass?
5. How long is the song? Is it a 3 minute pop song?
6. Where does the line fall in the song? Chorus? Verse?
7. What era does it sound like? 60s? 70s? 80s? etc?
8. In what context did you hear it? What were the songs played before or after?

etc. Sometimes I think people deliberately withold information to make song identification more difficult here...
Old 11-04-05, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by Hiro11
You're holding out on us, we need more info, dammit:

1. Backup vocals present or solo?
2. Noticeable accent?
3. Country song? Folk? Rock?
4. Instrumentation: just a guitar? Drums? Bass?
5. How long is the song? Is it a 3 minute pop song?
6. Where does the line fall in the song? Chorus? Verse?
7. What era does it sound like? 60s? 70s? 80s? etc?
8. In what context did you hear it? What were the songs played before or after?

etc. Sometimes I think people deliberately withold information to make song identification more difficult here...
Eh, I might have been able to answer such questions a month ago, but most of the details are gone now. It was a modern song though. It was acoustic and the line fell during a verse. Other than that I really don't remember. If I hadn't written down the line, I likely would have forgotten even how the line went. I think there might have been something earlier in the song about "when the lights went down on first avenue" but I might have misheard that one. Sorry, not withholding info, just don't remember much at this point.
Old 11-04-05, 04:31 PM

Location: I'm in a state (state)...of confusion (woah-oh-uh-oh)
could be "Lately" by David Gray. not the exact lyric you quoted, but close.

Last edited by Lamont; 11-04-05 at 04:33 PM.
Old 08-02-07, 05:24 AM

It's bizarre that I'm the one to answer my own question and that it happens two years after I asked it, but I had to share.

It was a chance encounter, but an aquaintance told me one of his friends was in a local Minneapolis band called Romantica. He described their sound to me and somehow, despite the fact I was seriously drunk when he told me about it, it came back to me two nights later.

Anyways, I went to their site and to their MySpace page and a little bit after the first song, "On My Mind," started playing, it hit me. That's the song. So I just wanted to share because it made me so happy and I want more people to know about this band.