DVD Talk
Anyone pick up ABSOLUTE WATCHMEN by alan more and dave gibbons [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Anyone pick up ABSOLUTE WATCHMEN by alan more and dave gibbons

lukewarmwater
10-11-05, 09:05 PM
Is it worth the fifty dollars? Does alan moore add anything to the book? Like is there a new moore interview or anything?

I'm a watchmen and alan moore fan, but fifty bucks is a lot of money. I could buy like four or five decent graphic novels for that price. The most I've ever spent on a comic is twenty and I tend to have them for reading, not collecting.

MBoyd
10-11-05, 09:47 PM
Well mine will get here next week in my DCBS order so I can't tell you much about the inside though I have seen it at the comic store all sealed up and can't wait to delve into it.

From my understanding, everything that's included was in an older hardcover edition. Alan Moore isn't on good terms with DC so I don't guess he offered anything. The colors have been re-done by the colorist apparently. I haven't read Watchmen in about 10 years and I'm looking forward to the blown up artwork. I got the Absolute Hush and was blown away by the format. Can't wait for Crisis.

But I'd say if you can get it for $50 thats cheaper than the $75 cover price. I think it was $42 at DCBS. Im sure if you read it and didn't like it someone would take it off your hands for at least what you paid.

benedict
10-16-05, 01:41 PM
Alan Moore isn't on good terms with DC so I don't guess he offered anything.On BBC Radio 4 there was an interesting interview with him where he explained about all the film rights money he'd let the filmmakers give instead to co-creators rather than o him so that his name wouldn't be on the credits.

I do n't think the full interview is on the BBC pages anymore but if you're interested and can play Real Audio files there are some clips here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/comedy/chainreaction.shtml

lukewarmwater
10-16-05, 02:46 PM
Not really on topic, but some more alan moore audio interviews:
This seems to be the best and longest

http://www.comicbookgalaxy.com/audio/mooreinterview.mp3

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1311408

and again I've read watchmen before, I just don't know if its worth the extra 30 odd bucks.

The other thing is I like to read comics not collect them, and the size and weight of the absolute edition doesn't seem very reader friendly.

whotony
10-16-05, 07:17 PM
i,ve had it in my cart since sept. at amazon, less the $50.

MBoyd
10-16-05, 07:45 PM
It's been reported now that there are glue issues with this book. There may even be a recall. I'll find out if I'm affected tomorrow.

EDIT: Well i found some glue inside the case and on the top of the pages but it flaked off. Not too worried about it and won't be sending it back.

Rainet
10-28-05, 04:44 AM
I am debating on buying this. I have an old copy lying around somewhere. How is the art in this. It's supposed to be touched up again correct? And is there any other extra stuff?

Eric D.
10-30-05, 03:54 PM
I'm on the fence about this edition too. I just finished re-reading my old copy when I found out that this was comming out. But it's still a damn good read though. BTW, did anybody else read the article Entertainment Weekley had on it? It was pretty cool.

JustinCleveland
11-05-08, 09:40 AM
For anyone that missed this on its first release, it is back in stock at many stores. I received mine from Amazon yesterday. It looks fantastic.

slop101
11-05-08, 01:53 PM
I believe they're on their 5th printing of this by now - which is huge for an Absolute book as most of them only have the single print run.

whotony
11-05-08, 04:58 PM
mine shipped from borders, less the $38 after coupons

davidh777
11-12-08, 08:03 AM
The other thing is I like to read comics not collect them, and the size and weight of the absolute edition doesn't seem very reader friendly.

I know I'm quoting an ancient post, but I picked up Absolute New Frontier and while it's a beautiful edition, I still haven't read through the whole thing because of the size.

beebs
11-21-08, 06:47 PM
There's a new Watchmen book by Dave Gibbons that would be a great compliment to the Absolute edition (I picked this up last holidays from Buy.com with the 20 off 50 Google Check-out Coupon along with Sandman and Dark Knight, all three just bit over $100).

-beebs

whotony
11-21-08, 07:01 PM
you forgot to say the name of the book or at least provide a link to the book.
You picked it up "last holidays"?

slop101
11-21-08, 08:08 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51xdAu%2BHzGL._SS500_.jpg

bluetoast
11-21-08, 08:37 PM
And to clarify, he picked up Absolute Watchmen last holiday, as this book Watching the Watchmen just came out last month.

Josh-da-man
11-22-08, 07:12 AM
I flipped through "Watching the Watchmen" in Barnes and Noble the other day.

Wasn't terribly impressed; seemed like it was mostly just production art and preliminary sketches for pages. A few interesting things, but it seemed like it was mostly padding.

Not really worth the $40 cover price, IMO. I might pick it up when/if it's remaindered.