Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Rant: Xbox Live customer service

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-05, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts
Rant: Xbox Live customer service

I checked my account on my xbox to see when my Live subscription ran out. I did not plan to renew since I am going to wait on the PS3/360 war. I checked & it stated that my subscription runs out 11-19-2005. Since I haven't been using it much lately, I decided to go ahead & call and either get a pro-rated amount back for the remaining month (if they do that) or just have them mark non-renew and have the rest of the month's service.

I call in and the cancellation is no problem. I ask the CSR about the remaining month & she advised that once you cancel, you have no more time left no matter when you cancel if it is after the first 2 months. For example, after 6 months of service, you cannot play on the service nor get any money back if you choose to cancel.

She stated that I will need to call back again on the 18th of November if I want the rest of my month that I had already paid for. I can see that this is done to get people to forget to call in to cancel.

I spoke to one of her managers and he stated the same. He pretty much agreed that it was an unfair system if you want to non-renew but not chance missing the date you have to cancel by.

I asked how the crappiest businesses in the world can mark something to non-renew it on a certain date and still give service until the dead date yet Microsoft, who controls most of the computer programs in the country, cannot? Pretty crummy.

Just wanted to rant and make anyone else aware of this who may not have know if you were considering cancelling in the future.
Old 10-11-05, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
I checked my account on my xbox to see when my Live subscription ran out. I did not plan to renew since I am going to wait on the PS3/360 war. I checked & it stated that my subscription runs out 11-19-2005. Since I haven't been using it much lately, I decided to go ahead & call and either get a pro-rated amount back for the remaining month (if they do that) or just have them mark non-renew and have the rest of the month's service.

I call in and the cancellation is no problem. I ask the CSR about the remaining month & she advised that once you cancel, you have no more time left no matter when you cancel if it is after the first 2 months. For example, after 6 months of service, you cannot play on the service nor get any money back if you choose to cancel.

She stated that I will need to call back again on the 18th of November if I want the rest of my month that I had already paid for. I can see that this is done to get people to forget to call in to cancel.

I spoke to one of her managers and he stated the same. He pretty much agreed that it was an unfair system if you want to non-renew but not chance missing the date you have to cancel by.

I asked how the crappiest businesses in the world can mark something to non-renew it on a certain date and still give service until the dead date yet Microsoft, who controls most of the computer programs in the country, cannot? Pretty crummy.

Just wanted to rant and make anyone else aware of this who may not have know if you were considering cancelling in the future.
It sounds like you're planning to just cancel now anyway, but if you decide to wait until near the expiration date, there is something you can do to prevent the auto-renewal. Go into the dashboard and "update" your credit card information, perhaps changing the expiration date on your card. (Disclaimer: I've heard that this will keep you from getting charged, although I take no responsibilities if it does not)
Old 10-11-05, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My card was expired and the charge still went through.
Old 10-11-05, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts
Originally Posted by Demontooth
My card was expired and the charge still went through.
Mine, too apparently. I haven't had the card in at least 2 years.

As for the customer service or lack of, that is. I was going to cancel, and they gave me the old "we'll send you a free game" bit. So I said "Ok" and gave them my info, blah blah. This was back in May. I never got the game but got charged for the subscription. Guy said 4-6 weeks. Yeah right.